• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Cankor fans able to lend a hand re: FMV?

10 posts in this topic

Hey there.
I've had this Calamity of Challenge #127 (2011 - 1st Appearance of Cankor) self-produced mini since purchased directly from Matthew Allison.
This the only graded copy.
It rarely pops up for sale which makes it a thorn in my side for collectible insurance FMV purposes.
(prices for later Cankor books are all over the place...)

Anyone with more knowledge able to help with an estimated value for this book?

Calamity of Challenge 127.jpg

Edited by troy.division

On 4/24/2023 at 7:24 PM, troy.division said:

I have no idea. That #1 was only a VG and sold for $240. If you estimated it at $500, it’s not like they can point to any sales to disprove that. You’ve got a NM first appearance graded by an “independent” third party. 

Usually, there’s a subreddit of avid fans but I couldn’t find one. That’s how I’ve gauged the rough value of some rare concert posters for obscure bands I forgot that I had. 

On 4/25/2023 at 10:47 AM, awakeintheashes said:

I have no idea. That #1 was only a VG and sold for $240. If you estimated it at $500, it’s not like they can point to any sales to disprove that. You’ve got a NM first appearance graded by an “independent” third party. 

Usually, there’s a subreddit of avid fans but I couldn’t find one. That’s how I’ve gauged the rough value of some rare concert posters for obscure bands I forgot that I had. 

Very true that without a subreddit / ardent fandom it is difficult to ascertain the 'value' of items as there is no chance for natural growth.

The eBay link above was used to illustrate the FMV of a small press comic featuring Cankor in his first 'comic-sized' series.
No idea what the print run is.
It was released 3 years after the self-produced mini / zine above that introduced the character of Cankor.

I reached out to Matthew Allison via email and he shared that the total print run for the Calamity of Challenge #127 mini / zine was between 200 and 250 copies with no subsequent printings.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:37 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m a Cankor and Matt Allison fan but I’m not aware of any sales that have occurred since I’ve been interested in it. I’m sure that would sell for $500 but for $1000?  Maybe not… but maybe, who knows.

Thank you
Yeah, it tough to determine...

The previous thorn in my side mini / zine I had was Milk & Cheese: Special Edition BUT even those eventually started hitting eBay...

On 5/1/2023 at 11:56 AM, SuperBird said:

I've never seen one sell before, but suspect if you threw it up with a BIN of $999 with "make an offer" you'd find out. 

Good idea!

Quick question for anyone 'in the know' -
Would this method be valid for CIS appraisal estimates on rarely sold comics?
I ask because CIS recommends Comic Connect, but I have emailed CC multiple times with my hard to figure out appraisal list of 5 items with no responses.

On 5/1/2023 at 3:37 PM, troy.division said:

Good idea!

Quick question for anyone 'in the know' -
Would this method be valid for CIS appraisal estimates on rarely sold comics?
I ask because CIS recommends Comic Connect, but I have emailed CC multiple times with my hard to figure out appraisal list of 5 items with no responses.

You’d have to ask them but I bet it wouldn’t fly due to the possibility of gaming the system.