• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Most Common Source Dealers Use to Evaluate a Book or Collections Worth?
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Forum members seem to use many methods. Some use Ebay sold references, GPA, Go Collect, Covrprice, Overstreet, etc. One dealer in my area prices and buys using Overstreet, another goes by GPA and takes off 10% if you're buying or selling Raw. Ultimately, unless we are selling off our collection ourselves, we are going to be selling to a dealer so I'm curious to what the majority of Dealers use so I can better evaluate what I have for when my collection is pried from my cold dead hands.😁 Any anecdotes or experiences welcome.

On 4/26/2023 at 9:53 PM, Krydel4 said:

another goes by GPA and takes off 10% if you're buying or selling Raw

10% off GPA for raw?  Does that mean they ask for full CGC graded price for raw books (minus the cost of slabbing) based on their own grading? 

On 4/27/2023 at 6:35 AM, valiantman said:

10% off GPA for raw?  Does that mean they ask for full CGC graded price for raw books (minus the cost of slabbing) based on their own grading? 

Yes. But their grading when buying is always strict but surprisingly soft when selling.😁

Experience, and knowledge.

A book might be a $10 book, but if I already have 50 copies, it is worth far less to me.

A Wolverine 1 and a SA Marvel might sell for the same amount, but if one sells quicker, I will pay more- if I need one.

Someone who sells raw books at 10percent off GPA needs to be avoided 

When my Son decided to sell his collection of 2000 books (mostly 80's/90's) I contacted dealers in my area to gauge interest, only one dealer was interested and came out to look at the books. We were looking for $2000.00 for the entire collection, he offered $800.00 and we politely said No, and we parted ways.

He said that other than a few books the rest were dollar bin books at best and said he could only pay 2 cents each for those books, we also disagreed on grading, I graded strictly using the Overstreet grading standards, he kept saying "well that's not how CGC does it and that's what folks are looking for, what CGC does". He also said he sells full short boxes of "drek" to other dealers at shows for $10.00 a box.

That was 2 years ago, since then I have sold about 100 + of my Son's books for about $3000.00.(I do not advertise books for sale, I respond when I see someone searching for a book(s) I have.)

My 2000 book collection has been graded, cataloged and photographed by me, FMV, using eBay sold auction prices for books in the same grade is done every 6 month's for my top books so I know what I have. My collection will be left to my kids (47 and 44) and I left them detailed instructions for handling comic books, where and how to sell comics books, where to find research info and their actual FMV so they can negotiate in good faith when the time comes, they will not be lowballed, knowledge is power.

When I am buying a collection my starting point for value is actually My Comic Shop. This is not because their prices are super accurate, but because the web layout shows an entire run 50 books at a time. Based on what others have graded you can see what the keys are. Anything priced at $8 or under in MCS listings is a dollar bin book to me. This is simply the reality that most people hunt for keys and you have to give deals on run fillers in order to move them out and stop your house from filling up with boxes of comics that you cant sell. 

For higher value books I use a combination of MCS, EBay, and GPA since all have their limitations. If I see a raw that I figure is a VF and GPA has the value as $100 (for example) I recon it is a $50 book that I would try to sell for $30-$40 since I would have to spend time and money to have it graded, plus sometimes grades dont come out as well as planned. Again, no deal for the buyer often means no sale. 

I do pretty well at shows using this approach. I also see vendors who struggle to figure out why no one is buying their comics that are priced around GPA for raw copies. The single most important piece of advice I give out is that people always vote with their wallets. If someone is selling a lot they have it figured out, and those who are struggling usually need to re-think their approach to grading/pricing. Grading and pricing are fundamentally related so you only have to mess one of those up to hoop yourself and ultimately lose money. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 4/27/2023 at 10:56 AM, marvelmaniac said:

When my Son decided to sell his collection of 2000 books (mostly 80's/90's) I contacted dealers in my area to gauge interest, only one dealer was interested and came out to look at the books. We were looking for $2000.00 for the entire collection, he offered $800.00 and we politely said No, and we parted ways.

He said that other than a few books the rest were dollar bin books at best and said he could only pay 2 cents each for those books, we also disagreed on grading, I graded strictly using the Overstreet grading standards, he kept saying "well that's not how CGC does it and that's what folks are looking for, what CGC does". He also said he sells full short boxes of "drek" to other dealers at shows for $10.00 a box.

That was 2 years ago, since then I have sold about 100 + of my Son's books for about $3000.00.(I do not advertise books for sale, I respond when I see someone searching for a book(s) I have.)

My 2000 book collection has been graded, cataloged and photographed by me, FMV, using eBay sold auction prices for books in the same grade is done every 6 month's for my top books so I know what I have. My collection will be left to my kids (47 and 44) and I left them detailed instructions for handling comic books, where and how to sell comics books, where to find research info and their actual FMV so they can negotiate in good faith when the time comes, they will not be lowballed, knowledge is power.

Something to realize which I wish people new to this hobby is that the majority of comic shops are predatory to those in need and or those who do not understand the pricing and worth of comics. For a dealer to insult someone by saying they'd only pay a few cents on each comic is really terrible. It is always worth it to sell things yourself. Even if you get someone to do a consignment for you it'll be better than selling to pretty much any shop. They'll make hundreds of percent in profit for each comic you give. Because this market is still looked at as niche you will always have people assuming the comics are worthless and give them away to these vultures for pennies.

On 4/27/2023 at 3:23 PM, hyhhyss12 said:

Something to realize which I wish people new to this hobby is that the majority of comic shops are predatory to those in need and or those who do not understand the pricing and worth of comics. For a dealer to insult someone by saying they'd only pay a few cents on each comic is really terrible.(There are plenty of comics that aren't even worth that).  It is always worth it to sell things yourself. (No)  Even if you get someone to do a consignment for you it'll be better than selling to pretty much any shop. (No) They'll make hundreds of percent in profit for each comic you give. (No) Because this market is still looked at as niche you will always have people assuming the comics are worthless and give them away to these vultures for pennies. (If you do absolutely no research about who you are selling to, then yes, it can happen).