• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAROL DAY - the Lance Hallam project

15 posts in this topic

I simply cannot agree more with your review of this book. Carol Day is an outstanding strip - both story and art - and David Wright's Carol Day - Lance Hallam is spectacular. It's well worth the $350 (US) that it costs in my opinion. The link will take you to the "buy" page. There's a link to an eBay store for US buyers and instructions for international buyers.

Among my book collection, for pure joy of owning and reading, this ranks with my copy of The Art of Richard W. Sprang which was also produced by a collector on a mission. This is as high as I can praise Chris' Carol Day book. 

Now I need to meet the team and get them to sign it. I wish that had been a purchase option. :)

Couldn't agree more, this is an edition that is so lavishly produced it's impossible to define it as anything other than a labor of love. There's so much love, attention, care, and respect that went into not just assembling the works of art, but into commissioning artists like Brian Bolland (who did the cover), Sook, Stevens, Love, Mooneyham, Pope and others to contribute new images, and also the over the top of the top end production values. 

The book is the Rolls Royce of Artist Edition-style compilations. It's that good. 

Chris Killackey introduced me to Carol Day as well and I am so grateful that he did. These strips are wonderful and they deserve the bright spotlight he's put on them. This book and its contents are a real treasure. 

My first Carol Day exposure came from Aaron N.'s CAF gallery where my favorite strip is housed (click to see it on the CAF):
image.thumb.png.e514a8c305a300ae6b9da6f8b2adfaa8.png

It has to be the creepiest comic strip that I've ever seen while also being an outstandingly beautiful rendering. Wow.

That led me to buying Roger Clark's e-book of the story (sadly no longer available) and the buying of two strips from Roger from that story (click to see on the CAF):

88486442-6DBE-45ED-8A83-80472C8C38E2_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.419ecbdc62388653f0fd8fce39c5ad12.jpeg

David Wright did wonderful work.

On 4/29/2023 at 3:55 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Oh, I hope they do another. I'm especially interested in my favorite story - Problem Child.

I deeply regret not buying all of the (admittedly low scan) ebooks from Roger when they were on Amazon. Sadly, he withdrew them due to lack of sales, I think.

Problem Child is an outstanding CD serial, drenched in atmosphere and disturbing imagery.  Chris Killackey deserves to own the Lance Hallam OA, but one day I'd love to own something from Problem Child, which is now dispersed among collectors.  Nearest I've got is . . . 

From the 1959 CAROL DAY story, 'Ebb-Tide' (with a special guest appearance from the Problem Child).

Particularly like that last panel.

QiER4Ubj_0711191101171sbpi.jpg

My other CD daily . . . 

From the 'Friedrich Kahlenberg' storyline which ran during 1962. Interesting balance going on between the depictions of Carol and Joe in frames 1 and 3; one fully lit, the other showing the characters reversed and in silhouette. Nice POV shot in the middle.

dP3AbJim_1409191129301gpadd (1).jpg

Reiterating everything that’s already been said here. This collection was truly a labor of love for its creators, and you can see it in the thought and attention to detail that went into every aspect of the book’s design and production. As a Carol Day fan and former caretaker of a few of the Lance Hallam strips, I’m extraordinarily happy with what a stunning object that Chris, Roger, and Guy have created. It’s virtually perfect in every way and worth every penny of its admittedly hefty price tag. Kudos to them!

Edited by bhuangnc

Terry, thanks for starting this thread with such a wonderful post! And Chris, Alex, and Brian, we very much appreciate you chiming in with your comments! After 2, almost 3 years, of effort, we're very pleased to finally be able to have the book in hand! Our goal was to give David Wright and what we consider to be a masterpiece of comic strip art, Lance Hallam, a top-flight, art book treatment. Our priority was to reproduce the story at the same size and quality as its originals, so that we could faithfully replicate the experience of reading the story from the original art. And we wanted to do that in such a way that the resulting book would represent the definitive edition of one of David Wright's very best stories. This meant endeavoring to put the story in context with articles, commissions from contemporary artists, and reproducing not only the art, but also the boards to give a complete sense of the originals and Wright's process. Lastly, we were very fortunate to top it off with a cover by Carol Day super-fan, Brian Bolland, a great comics artist whom all three of us (Chris, Roger and me) greatly admire. Enough for now. My main point is to thank all of you for your comments and support! Guy Mills 

Terry! I echo Guy's comment about starting this thread and so appreciate seeing Chris, Alex & Ben contribute to it.

Alex - as to your question about whether we will put out another book...we're already working on the next volume! You can visit the Project Dashboard page of our website for further details here https://www.carol-day.com/dashboard/ 

Safe to say we are on the hunt for scans for future volumes, Problem Child among them!

On 4/30/2023 at 4:19 PM, zstarmanz said:

Terry, thanks for starting this thread with such a wonderful post! And Chris, Alex, and Brian, we very much appreciate you chiming in with your comments! After 2, almost 3 years, of effort, we're very pleased to finally be able to have the book in hand! Our goal was to give David Wright and what we consider to be a masterpiece of comic strip art, Lance Hallam, a top-flight, art book treatment. Our priority was to reproduce the story at the same size and quality as its originals, so that we could faithfully replicate the experience of reading the story from the original art. And we wanted to do that in such a way that the resulting book would represent the definitive edition of one of David Wright's very best stories. This meant endeavoring to put the story in context with articles, commissions from contemporary artists, and reproducing not only the art, but also the boards to give a complete sense of the originals and Wright's process. Lastly, we were very fortunate to top it off with a cover by Carol Day super-fan, Brian Bolland, a great comics artist whom all three of us (Chris, Roger and me) greatly admire. Enough for now. My main point is to thank all of you for your comments and support! Guy Mills 

Guy, when is the book signing tour? 

Seriously, do you, @Chris K., and Roger attend cons?

Hi Alex,

On 4/30/2023 at 2:45 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Guy, when is the book signing tour? 

Seriously, do you, @Chris K., and Roger attend cons?

No book signing tour in the cards yet... ;-)

As for cons, yes, we're all experienced con-goers, especially pre-pandemic. Getting back into the swing of cons is certainly something we're discussing.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:50 PM, zstarmanz said:

Hi Alex,

No book signing tour in the cards yet... ;-)

As for cons, yes, we're all experienced con-goers, especially pre-pandemic. Getting back into the swing of cons is certainly something we're discussing.

How about meeting me at HeroesCon! :)

On 4/29/2023 at 10:51 AM, alxjhnsn said:

The link will take you to the "buy" page. There's a link to an eBay store for US buyers and instructions for international buyers.

the book looks very cool but it appears only way to purchase is through ebay? seems a direct option would have saved buyers 10-15% off the enormous cost. 

On 5/1/2023 at 7:41 AM, diva_tsarina said:

the book looks very cool but it appears only way to purchase is through ebay? seems a direct option would have saved buyers 10-15% off the enormous cost. 

It's their eBay store. If they did it direct, they'd have to raise the cost for the time and effort that eBay saves them.