• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC sticker over bar code?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello. I’m processing some books from a recent purchase and came across this copy of Batman 415 (Jan 88) with a DC sticker covering the bar code. Curious if this is a concern or an appeal for resale. Perhaps an early direct edition copy? And insight appreciated.

F672A462-BCEE-4B6F-9E19-8EFAAEF9E174.jpeg

On 4/30/2023 at 6:50 AM, alexml. said:

Hello. I’m processing some books from a recent purchase and came across this copy of Batman 415 (Jan 88) with a DC sticker covering the bar code. Curious if this is a concern or an appeal for resale. Perhaps an early direct edition copy? And insight appreciated.

F672A462-BCEE-4B6F-9E19-8EFAAEF9E174.jpeg

Interesting! The "unstickered" direct editions look like this...

Picture 1 of 8

Perhaps DC overprinted the newsstands (or attempted to resell returns) and wanted to prevent anyone returning the returns again. But that sticker seems like a lot of work to save a few cents on unauthorized returns.

By the way, it's definitely not an "early" direct edition. There are direct edition Batman issues where the cover was changed during printing at least as early as Batman #306 (December 1978).

batman306direct.jpg.4da1c7967eba4b90a932ece22913bc4d.jpg

Edited by valiantman

On 5/22/2023 at 10:56 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

What you have there is the pack reprint of Batman 415.   We believe the stickers were placed over the bar codes so that the clerk at stores like  "Toys R Us" or "Kaybee Toys" would not scan the bar code when they sold the pack.  Attached is a photo of the Batman 414/415/416 pack.  Each comic book in that pack had the sticker (even though the comic book in the middle of the pack did not need a sticker... lol). 

When you try to track down all the variants of Batman 414 thru 416, you will go a little batty.  For example, Batman 415 was produced in a direct sales edition, newsstand edition, and 5 other subsequent variations including the variant shown above.

Why did they make these pack reprints?   My theory is that the demand was there.  In the late 1980s and early 1990s there was huge demand for comic books. A lot of people thought they could buy comic books and then sell them later for a huge profit.  Of course, most comics from that era are worthless.    

As for the pack reprint of Batman 415, I'm guessing it might sell for $10 in high grade.  Mile High Comics has them on sale for approx $24 in FN if you include the 50% off the price that is almost always offered through their newsletters.  Even at their sales prices of $24 for a FN copy, I beleive Mile High is at least asking double (if not quadruple) the price that it should sell for.

image.thumb.jpeg.b6f4de458cf92bb4ae69a6eb68116a57.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.19263229473fbb56ee7e435453c7ca33.jpeg

And you also have shown one of the many Batman Whitman reprints as the last photo in your post.  Most are fairly common, but if you find the Batman 324 Whitman in high grade, contact me first to make an offer.  I would gladly pay $400 for a copy in high grade!

Until now, I had no clue what this was about.  Thank You for the info on these comics.  Fantastic!