• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike news
2 2

557 posts in this topic

After meeting with studio CEOs earlier today, SAG-AFTRA has put out a statement, that they’re looking over the latest proposal from the AMPTP which the studios bill as their “last, best, and final offer.”

“We received an offer today from the AMPTP, which they characterized as their “Last, Best, and Final Offer,” said the SAG-AFTRA TV/Theatrical Negotiating Commitee this afternoon.

“We are reviewing it and considering our response within the context of the critical issues addressed in our proposals,” they added. 

SAG-AFTRA May Take Another Day to Respond to Studios’ ‘Best and Final’ Offer

SAG-AFTRA may take another day to respond to the studios’ “last, best and final” offer, as the union’s negotiating committee continues to weigh its next move.

The studios last talked to union leadership on Saturday afternoon, when a large group of CEOs sought to make clear that they will not make further concessions.

After that meeting, some members of the SAG-AFTRA negotiating committee expressed dissatisfaction with the studios’ offer. At least four of them retweeted a post that urged A-list actors to pressure on the studio heads to come back with better terms.

“The time has come for you to put pressure on the CEOs,” wrote the poster, Chelsea Schwartz, a SAG-AFTRA strike captain. “Call the studio heads. Shout at them on social media. Tell them to accept our deal. You can help us end this strike and save our profession! We’re stronger together!”

On 11/5/2023 at 8:01 PM, mr_highgrade said:

This is not looking to good for the actors. Looks like the studio bigwigs are playing hardball. :eek:

Knowing nothing about how SAG and Hollywood works, if nothing is settled, could the studios make movies/TV shows with non-SAG actors?  Is that even a thing or is it an impossibility because of how things are written up and what not?

On 11/6/2023 at 8:27 AM, media_junkie said:

Knowing nothing about how SAG and Hollywood works, if nothing is settled, could the studios make movies/TV shows with non-SAG actors?  Is that even a thing or is it an impossibility because of how things are written up and what not?

It's complicated.  In short, no, major productions with a few exceptions granted by SAG would be prohibited.  That would mean you have no star power and no experienced crew. In theory you could make the movies outside the country but places like Canada and UK will usually support the agreements of SAG since they have tied in roles and interests.  I guess you could go make a movie in Korea, but again, you would have no stars and it is doubtful that you would get a return on your investment.  If an actor violates the SAG strike, they could be fined, or kicked out of the union. They would very likely be turned down for roles in the future. In the long run that would be far worse for them than the temporary money they may make. 

On 11/6/2023 at 9:18 AM, CAHokie said:

It's complicated.  In short, no, major productions with a few exceptions granted by SAG would be prohibited.  That would mean you have no star power and no experienced crew. In theory you could make the movies outside the country but places like Canada and UK will usually support the agreements of SAG since they have tied in roles and interests.  I guess you could go make a movie in Korea, but again, you would have no stars and it is doubtful that you would get a return on your investment.  If an actor violates the SAG strike, they could be fined, or kicked out of the union. They would very likely be turned down for roles in the future. In the long run that would be far worse for them than the temporary money they may make. 

This makes sense. And the news has noted productions overseas that continued filming were outside SAG coverage, but with an understanding they could continue with its approval.

Saw this when I looked.

Screen Actors Guild Kicks Out Actors (November 2019)

The Screen Actors Guild's board of directors has expelled three members it said either worked on or auditioned for commercials during the union's strike last year against the advertising industry.

The three were identified Thursday as Southern California area members Gerry Donato and Mario Barbieri Cecchini and New York area member Robert Kalomeer. A call to Donato was not immediately returned Thursday night. Cecchini and Kalomeer could not immediately be located for comment.

Each was kicked out following a Trial Board hearing, said SAG spokesman Greg Krizman.

I wonder how their careers progressed afterwards?

UK actors are still working provided they are not SAG members.  They have rules on the books prohibiting sympathetic striking.  It is how House of the Dragon continue production as it uses primarily UK actors who have a different union.

Never quit your day job, unless...

If AMPTP has reached a hardball, firm & final offer, then they must have some alternative to SAG ready to go.   

On 11/6/2023 at 10:28 AM, TupennyConan said:

If AMPTP has reached a hardball, firm & final offer, then they must have some alternative to SAG ready to go.   

They will just continue importing from other markets.  The have brought in a lot of popular content that is not held to SAG agreements.

Edited by drotto

Thank you!

UDPATED with SAG-AFTRA statement: As the back and forth between SAG-AFTRA and the studio continues Monday, an end to the 116-day actors strike may not be imminent.

“There are several essential items on which we still do not have an agreement, including AI,” the guild said in a letter to members this in the last hour. “We will keep you informed as events unfold.”

Here’s the full letter:

Dear Member,

This morning our negotiators formally responded to the AMPTP’s “Last, Best & Final” offer.

Please know every member of our TV/Theatrical Negotiating Committee is determined to secure the right deal and thereby bring this strike to an end responsibly.

There are several essential items on which we still do not have an agreement, including AI. We will keep you informed as events unfold.

In solidarity and gratitude,

Your TV/Theatrical Negotiating Committee

I love the idea that a group of CEOs telling the people that they need to act in their media that they are presenting a 'Last, Best & Final' offer. 
They are so used to treating all their other employees poorly that they forgot that they are the ones that need actors to star in the media that they want to produce / distribute / make record breaking profits / bonuses off of.

Honestly, there is so much media out there that this can go on for another year and I wouldn't be upset.

On 11/6/2023 at 7:41 PM, Chamber of Chills said:

Honestly, there is so much media out there that this can go on for another year and I wouldn't be upset.

I'm sorry for the smaller actors and also the people that work on movie sets (the production) that this is carrying on so long.  However saying that, yes I could go another year and still not be caught up on all the stuff out right now that I want to watch.

Truthfully, most of the main Hollywood stuff has been so poor, that I couldn't care less if it never ends.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for the below the line people who are being hurt by this, but with few exceptions, I gave up on new movies and shows long before the strike.

On 11/7/2023 at 2:28 AM, TupennyConan said:

"firm & final offer" that is so hollow, you can hear an echo coming out of it.

The studio exec's think they hold some kinda of winning hand, which is obviously ridiculous to anyone trying to sit through most of the movies coming out at the moment.

Edited by Microchip

On 11/7/2023 at 3:45 PM, Eclipse said:

I would, because of this strike me and my whole union have been out of work since june.

In terms of independent productions, outside of the main studio's is there anything available?

Is it just the streaming platforms that are locked down, feeding their own content.   But there are independent content producers with Amazon etc.

Hopefully I'm not being grossly naive here about how the whole system works from your side :foryou:

On 11/7/2023 at 12:37 AM, Microchip said:

In terms of independent productions, outside of the main studio's is there anything available?

Is it just the streaming platforms that are locked down, feeding their own content.   But there are independent content producers with Amazon etc.

Hopefully I'm not being grossly naive here about how the whole system works from your side :foryou:

There are around 60 productions in NY on hold right now because of the strike ready to go