• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike news
2 2

557 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2023 at 9:18 AM, CAHokie said:

It's complicated.  In short, no, major productions with a few exceptions granted by SAG would be prohibited.  That would mean you have no star power and no experienced crew. In theory you could make the movies outside the country but places like Canada and UK will usually support the agreements of SAG since they have tied in roles and interests.  I guess you could go make a movie in Korea, but again, you would have no stars and it is doubtful that you would get a return on your investment.  If an actor violates the SAG strike, they could be fined, or kicked out of the union. They would very likely be turned down for roles in the future. In the long run that would be far worse for them than the temporary money they may make. 

As is happening in every other business, powerful legacy corporations are losing their grip on the public's attention. They've been churning out pablum for too long and people are getting fed up, making independent filmmaking much more appealing. 

Who needs a bloated set when you can make a much better movie at a fraction of the price with no strings attached to anyone?

It's all the strings attached that are literally choking the life out of the industry. It'll be refreshing to see what new life comes out of this, much like when the big players broke away from Marvel and DC in the 90s and just started their own genres and spawned an entire new industry. 

My LA friends are making independent movies and flourishing. 

On 11/7/2023 at 8:16 AM, CAHokie said:

Sorry you are still out of work. :(   It is estimated that it has cost the CA economy in excess of 6.5 billion dollars. It trickles down and affects people and businesses that most would not even think about. 

Yup. Local establishments, food places, shipping and receiving services, banks - everything imaginable. It's not just the movie industry. It's all the industries that support the movie industries. 

On 11/7/2023 at 10:21 PM, CAHokie said:

I thought this may be of interest to a few people that asked before.

IMG_0828.thumb.jpeg.418c8078fba562be732de6c07d04c2eb.jpeg

IMG_0829.thumb.jpeg.9c6ab930ee6bfc77203bcaf42b08d532.jpeg

IMG_0830.thumb.jpeg.bf8f83ccdb75b6dc6cdc0c6c43653f49.jpeg

IMG_0832.thumb.jpeg.b37db7bd5ba4f75443f1e3525ee89edb.jpeg

If only these people cared more about what's going on OUTSIDE of Hollywood, then Hollywood would be a better place. 

But no. lol

On 11/8/2023 at 12:36 AM, Bosco685 said:

Wow, just wow!!

The studio's are effectively trying to screw all actors, from the lowest up with exclusive right to all the AI IP, with no consideration paid, or cents on the dollar, and only once if they're lucky.

Then, reading between the lines, anyone who was ever a Union member, to have unlimited access and use of their likeness in perpetuity as an AI, again for no consideration paid to the current rights holders.

This is just a blatant tyrannical standpoint by the studio's!!

The level of hubris shown by the studio's is just staggering!!

On 11/8/2023 at 5:51 AM, Microchip said:

Wow, just wow!!

The studio's are effectively trying to screw all actors, from the lowest up with exclusive right to all the AI IP, with no consideration paid, or cents on the dollar, and only once if they're lucky.

Then, reading between the lines, anyone who was ever a Union member, to have unlimited access and use of their likeness in perpetuity as an AI, again for no consideration paid to the current rights holders.

This is just a blatant tyrannical standpoint by the studio's!!

The level of hubris shown by the studio's is just staggering!!

This is how business is conducted these days. 

Stall, hardball, no goodwill, let the chips fall where they may. It's always been this way, with awareness increasing through social media, people are just realizing now how pervasive it is. 

Finding an employer who actually cares about employees is very hard to find. I've had a few and they are priceless. 

Edited by VintageComics

The SAG-AFTRA negotiating committee is meeting to discuss the studios’ latest offer, with the conversation potentially leading to a final union-side vote on the deal.

Continuing its discussion from Tuesday night over the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers’ most recent proposal, the negotiating team met on Wednesday starting at around 11 a.m. It was unclear as of press time when a conclusive vote on the deal could take place, but one union-side source said that the group was at that point voting on the shape of the final package that the team will send to AMPTP president Carol Lombardini to see if the management side will sign off. The source added that the union side would have one final adjustment on consent over generative AI to send to the AMPTP, which is not expected to be a deal-breaker.

Some time after the negotiating committee — a group of 17 voting members and 17 alternates that operate on a basis of general consensus — tallies up their final votes on the pact, it will announce whether they support it to members, says a separate union-side source.

Several sources were optimistic that the final vote, and a deal, could take place on Wednesday. According to multiple sources with knowledge of the negotiations, SAG leadership expects the negotiating committee to vote unanimously to support the deal it has reached with the AMPTP. 

On 11/9/2023 at 9:10 AM, Eclipse said:

Finally we can get back to work

Man, for what it's worth while I speak out about the negatives of the movie industry (and forgive me for having strong opinions, as a dad I have very strong opinions about all media) but I totally feel for the people suffering through all of this. I have many friends in the industry and it's been so tough. 

So my apologies if I sounded uncouth. My opinions on the direction of story telling have no bearing about how I feel about the people who work in the industry and I'm thrilled that people can work again. 

On 11/9/2023 at 6:10 AM, Eclipse said:

Finally we can get back to work

Yes, so the actors can sit in their air conditioned trailers (after making sure to lecture crew how "we're all equal and in this together", waiting for their Starbucks, not wearing masks on set (even tho SAG is the one demanding crew wear masks), crying about global warming as their limousines idle with air conditioning on, and on and on and on....

Edited by NoMan

On 11/9/2023 at 2:20 PM, NoMan said:

Yes, so the actors can sit in their air conditioned trailers (after making sure to lecture crew how "we're all equal and in this together", waiting for their Starbucks, not wearing masks on set (even tho SAG is the one demanding crew wear masks), crying about global warming as their limousines idle with air conditioning on, and on and on and on....

Most of the time on set 80% of the actors are sitting on crappy chairs at folding tables looking bored out of their mind waiting for the time they are needed on set for 12 hours a day making not that much money. Don't judge them by the 20% of that get dressing rooms and trailers. And the masking ended late April or early May for us in the business. Have you ever even been on set?

On 11/9/2023 at 2:38 PM, Eclipse said:

Most of the time on set 80% of the actors are sitting on crappy chairs at folding tables looking bored out of their mind waiting for the time they are needed on set for 12 hours a day making not that much money. Don't judge them by the 20% of that get dressing rooms and trailers. And the masking ended late April or early May for us in the business. Have you ever even been on set?

for 35 years. 

As far as the 80% vs the 20%:

1. I figured that was common sense and didn't need to be brought to your attention

2. Just goes to show you how SAG treats their own

Edited by NoMan

On 11/9/2023 at 5:44 PM, NoMan said:

for 35 years. 

As far as the 80% vs the 20%:

1. I figured that was common sense and didn't need to be brought to your attention

2. Just goes to show you how SAG treats their own

Well you don't sound like you enjoy it that much.

On 11/9/2023 at 2:52 PM, Eclipse said:

Well you don't sound like you enjoy it that much.

I used to but they beat the joy and fun out of it to make more money for the 8 producers, 6 associate producers, 7 assistant producers and 4 co-producers and 12 co-co producers that are at the top of everyone of your and mine call sheets. Don't even get me started on production managers cutting my budgets to nothing (and still expecting THE WORLD) so they can get a kick-back post production for bringing it in "under-budget."

After 35 years I'm done. Couple more years and I can retire from the race-to-bottom Sh*t-show that film making has become. Believe me, when I started in 1987 it was way different for the better than it is now. Ever been on a show where someone has fallen asleep on the way home after working weeks of stupid hours and rolled their car? I have.

Maybe when I retire I can actually get back to enjoying movies again, but I doubt it. I'd honestly just read a book.

I sincerely hope your experience will be better.

This new SAG contract will make it that much more crappy for working people like you and me.

So tell me, why has our union, IATSE, in it's 126 year history, has never gone on strike yet the actors and writers and directors do?

Edited by NoMan