• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike news
2 2

557 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2023 at 5:59 PM, NoMan said:

So tell me, why has our union, IATSE, in it's 126 year history, has never gone on strike yet the actors and writers and directors do?

Maybe you guys will in the future and maybe you should if not getting what you deserve. Nothing can happen or be completed without you all. Is your contract up in 24 or 25?

On 11/9/2023 at 5:59 PM, NoMan said:

So tell me, why has our union, IATSE, in it's 126 year history, has never gone on strike yet the actors and writers and directors do?

Because our leadership sucks and caves and tells us" just be grateful your working"

On 11/9/2023 at 9:51 PM, CAHokie said:

Maybe you guys will in the future and maybe you should if not getting what you deserve. Nothing can happen or be completed without you all. Is your contract up in 24 or 25?

It's up in '24. By the time everyone is up and running again i don't see them striking again. But let's see what happens with the teamsters whose contract is up at the same time, Lindsey Dougherty seems like a tough one.

On 11/9/2023 at 6:51 PM, CAHokie said:

will never be able to, hence why iatse has never had a strike:

this wga/sag strike has been so devastating to rank-and-file workers that if we can ever catch up financially (many never will be able to recover) when it will be time for the wag/dga/sag to strike again, and the entire process starts anew

Edited by NoMan

I found this whole situation very interesting. I was so curious who would fold first.

As impossible as it may seem now, it's inevitable that live action films will be all but extinct within 20/30 years.

The technology to create a feature film without human actors will be so advanced that the human eye will not be able to determine CGI from a real person.

It will also be much more cost effective for studios to not have to pay top actors 20-30m compared to the current salaries of the digital crew.

On 11/10/2023 at 1:34 PM, I like pie said:

I found this whole situation very interesting. I was so curious who would fold first.

As impossible as it may seem now, it's inevitable that live action films will be all but extinct within 20/30 years.

The technology to create a feature film without human actors will be so advanced that the human eye will not be able to determine CGI from a real person.

It will also be much more cost effective for studios to not have to pay top actors 20-30m compared to the current salaries of the digital crew.

And if we as a society consume it, then I guess we get what we deserve.

Screenshot_20231110-1848252.thumb.png.0c3be711e9107b3a416a0371ac26e40d.png

The deal includes a 7% raise in most minimums, a percentage that “breaks the industry pattern” per Crabtree-Ireland. It also includes a new $40 million residual bonus for actors on streaming shows that reach a certain benchmark of success and more than $1 billion in new wages and benefit plan funding.

Additionally, the guild announced guardrails against the use of artificial intelligence, though it allows AI to be used to create “digital replicas” if actors are paid and give their permission).

“For me, the whole thing, the weight of it all, was extremely stressful,” Drescher said about the lengthy negotiations. “We went to the press and said, ‘What are they doing? What are they waiting for? Are they trying to smoke us out?’ Well honey, I quit smoking a long time ago. So I think they finally realized they were facing a new kind of leadership in me and Duncan.”

Drescher also highlighted the importance of addressing AI in the negotiations, which was one of the final items agreed upon during the contract negotiations: “If we didn’t get that package, then what are we doing? We’re not really able to protect our members in the way that they needed to be protected… If we didn’t get those barricades, what would it be in three years?”

On 11/10/2023 at 1:34 PM, I like pie said:

There will ALWAYS be people who will want to watch REAL people, eat REAL food, hold REAL paper and have REAL conversations. 

Fake things are bad for humanity no matter how profitable they are.

The media will try to brainwash the masses into accepting fake things, but it will never eradicate it. 

On 11/11/2023 at 11:51 AM, VintageComics said:

There will ALWAYS be people who will want to watch REAL people, eat REAL food, hold REAL paper and have REAL conversations. 

Fake things are bad for humanity no matter how profitable they are.

The media will try to brainwash the masses into accepting fake things, but it will never eradicate it. 

Possibly.

Many people believe "the future" is synonymous with progress. While not always true, in this case, I can't see the argument.

It wouldn't be any different than watching cartoons or anime. 

I just don't see a good prognosis for acting, as a career, in 30 years.

On 11/12/2023 at 1:55 PM, I like pie said:

You'd be surprised how utterly unpredictable the future really is.

Basing predictions on whats in front of today, even 5 years from now would be difficult to predict what will me the major trends in the entertainment industry.

On 11/11/2023 at 10:05 PM, Microchip said:
On 11/11/2023 at 9:55 PM, I like pie said:

You'd be surprised how utterly unpredictable the future really is.

Basing predictions on whats in front of today, even 5 years from now would be difficult to predict what will me the major trends in the entertainment industry.

Yep.

Deus ex machina (/ˌdəs ɛks ˈmækɪnə, ˈmɑːk-/ DAY-əs ex-MA(H)K-in-ə,[1] Latin: [ˈdɛ.ʊs ɛks ˈmaːkʰɪnaː]; plural: dei ex machina; English "god from the machine")[2][3] is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem in a story is suddenly or abruptly resolved by an unexpected and unlikely occurrence.

---------------------------------------------

Comics General has been predicting the demise of the hobby since 2002.

Stock market? Nope. It's manmade and 100 years old and they have no idea what it's doing. lol

The economy? Nope.

Tomorrows weather? Nope.

So what is predictable?

Time is undefeated. That's about it. 

In a similar vein to both the topic of AI and the literary device Deux ex machina, I rewatched this over yesterday and today and it was EVERY BIT AS GOOD as the day I saw it. 

Just an incredibly crafted flick. If you haven't seen it, it's not only great as a standalone, it's a timely film to revisit as it was filmed 9 years ago but is about the coming of AI.

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/14/2023 at 8:50 AM, drotto said:

It's already been done. Many many times.  When was rhe last time a big crowd of battles scene was not heavily CGI characters.

The Union will need to jump on this now, and police it from the get go.

I don't see the studio's adhering, without testing the boundaries of the points negotiated.    It's too easy for them to push any questions to their legal team, and actors will need to strike again as their only real power leverage.

On 11/13/2023 at 4:50 PM, drotto said:

It's already been done. Many many times.  When was rhe last time a big crowd of battles scene was not heavily CGI characters.

It sounds like they have to notify you and pay you for the scan but I see nothing protecting you from being forced to do it or be booted.

On 11/13/2023 at 5:58 PM, Microchip said:
On 11/13/2023 at 4:50 PM, drotto said:

The Union will need to jump on this now, and police it from the get go.

I don't see the studio's adhering, without testing the boundaries of the points negotiated.    It's too easy for them to push any questions to their legal team, and actors will need to strike again as their only real power leverage.

The studio will adhere to this the way the public adhered to downloading music 20 years ago.