• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Comiclink the only auction house that doesn't provide front and back scans?

22 posts in this topic

It's so aggravating that well established places that Comiclink wont provide front and back scans for ALL books. Comicconnect does. Heritage does. Hakes does. Comiclink only does on the VERY high end books. Even books going for 2-3K wont always have the back scans. I emailed one of their VPs and he just stated that it's unreasonable since there are over 1200 books in their current auction. He did offer to send me scans if I email and ask for them specifically. But I'm a browser type of buyer. So that's unrealistic for me lol. 

Anyone else notice this? Or other auction houses that only give front scans? Even the dirtiest ebay slumlords will give you front and back pics....

You don't need to shop there.  There are lots of other dealers and auction sites to buy books from.  Plus, if there's a comic that's in the upper part of your price range, you're welcome to request a back cover scan.  

The choice is up to the individual.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:17 AM, namisgr said:

you're welcome to request a back cover scan.

This!  (thumbsu  (thumbsu

I rarely buy at auction, but when I do, I ALWAYS want to see both the front and the back covers.  C-Link has ALWAYS graciously and promptly fulfilled my requests (which, as a courtesy to their staff, were always made early in a particular auction cycle rather than at the last minute).  :foryou:

On 5/2/2023 at 10:30 AM, zzutak said:

I ALWAYS want to see both the front and the back covers

Same. Just seems like more work for everyone...plus just really dumb from a business standpoint because most bidders wouldn't go to the trouble. They'd just move on.

On 5/2/2023 at 1:36 PM, Brady Smith said:

Same. Just seems like more work for everyone...plus just really dumb from a business standpoint because most bidders wouldn't go to the trouble. They'd just move on.

And yet, Comiclink has been one of the largest online sellers of comic books for nearly 20 years now.

They told you the reason why, for them, it was a smart rather than a dumb business decision: with the volume of books they offer at auctions and on their exchange, the time it would take to provide back cover scans for all their material would impact the number of books they could offer.  Besides, as has been pointed out twice already, they meet requests for scans.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:51 AM, namisgr said:

And yet, Comiclink has been one of the largest online sellers of comic books for nearly 20 years now.

They told you the reason why, for them, it was a smart rather than a dumb business decision: with the volume of books they offer at auctions and on their exchange, the time it would take to provide back cover scans for all their material would impact the number of books they could offer.  Besides, as has been pointed out twice already, they meet requests for scans.

You work for them or something lol

hate to interrupt the bickering, but yes, it's totally lame that they do not provide back cover scans. for the last year or two they have at least started adding rear scans of key books. but it does not seem that hard to do it for all books. 

i still prefer their site in every other way to comicconnect, for one thing, their scans are much more consistent in terms of quality. their site is much faster and easier to navigate. and if i have books i am considering, i do request back scans from them.  it's an annoying extra step, but not super hard. 

for me CL and HA have been the ones that almost always get my money. at least, back when i was still buying...

Not only comics but on original art as well!

I have received a number of pages with art on the reverse, signatures, color or shading notes. I never understood why they would not add this information.

I think the point is, everyone on this board for the most part, is fully aware of their policy regarding the back scans, so why bring it up. Additionally, the fact they do not have a buyer's premium comparted to HA, makes up for that fact. 

On 5/2/2023 at 7:25 PM, alexgross.com said:

but it does not seem that hard to do it for all books. 

Thank you. That’s all I’m saying.

none of us would likely buy a book without seeing it, yet they deliberately don’t provide it. And say this as a big fan of CL. I’d like them to be better. Get more bids, get more engagement etc. 

On 5/3/2023 at 8:18 AM, maraxusofkeld said:

I think the point is, everyone on this board for the most part, is fully aware of their policy regarding the back scans, so why bring it up. Additionally, the fact they do not have a buyer's premium comparted to HA, makes up for that fact. 

I wasn’t aware until recently actually. I’ve gotten back into the hobby after a few years hiatus. also hate buyers premiums too lol  

On 5/2/2023 at 10:29 AM, Brady Smith said:
On 5/2/2023 at 10:17 AM, namisgr said:

You don't need to shop there

I was told that I had to.

Was you speaking with Josh himself when you was told this?  lol

Personally i alteady have a great problem with mycomicshop because the stock pictures prevents you to know if you receive a Direct sales or a Newstaand edt. Is particually irritating for people like me collect only DS... if this guys just take time to separe it they would surely have pocketed more than 1000Dollars with me. But they doesnt want so they have not a single penny from me. :flipbait:

Why i don't can see what i payd for its absolutely ridiculous...