• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Avengers 5 (UK '73)
3 3

5 posts in this topic

Since I can't justify buying a Avengers 8, I went British. For the uninitiated, these UK editions are pretty flimsy. The production quality lags behind the comparable era-US comics. The two main things I see are a small color chip of some sort along the right edge across form Iron Man. There's also some ink loss at the top above 'NIGHTMARE'. Seller wanted to attribute this to a production flaw. I'm not convinced, but it could be.

PXL_20230503_151200922.jpg

PXL_20230503_151223647.jpg

PXL_20230503_151534828.jpg

Edited by scburdet

Looks 7.0 or 7.5 and they are tough to grade for all sorts of reasons. Having had quite a number of the UK editions myself, that ink loss is very likely manufacturing if no paper is missing ie held to the light it all looks glossy. If it looks like a tape pull then it's a tape pull. 

Back cover as has artwork by Bob Smith, who was not a Marvel artist as such. He drew the cover to the Penguin Book of Comics which was the book that got me into this whole mess in the first place! I blame him! 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

For any disappointment with the other PGM updates today, they are offset by this. Anyone who thinks an 8.5 is a disappointing grade for this has never handled these flimsy AF large UK reprints :grin:. Tied with 2 other copies at the top of the census.

CGC4367225-001_OBV.jpg