• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INVESTING IN COMIC BOOKS

83 posts in this topic

Does anyone COLLECT comic books anymore? I wish everyone would stop talking about comics as "A MEANS TO AN END", and start talking about collecting comics as "AN END IN ITSELF". Does anyone else want to have a discussion about comics, that has nothing at all to do with the topic of MONEY........? Then again, why would you?

Does anyone else want to have a discussion about comics, that has nothing at all to do with the topic of MONEY........? Then again, why would you?

Most people here ARE collectors. But this is the CGC forum and graded books have monetary implications, and I guess this is why most threads come back to the values of slabbed books compared to raw ones.

Yes, I am a collector and love talking about collecting. Unfortunately because this is a CGC FORUM, the money part is talked about a lot. But, that's the only reason. It's the kind of forum it is.

But the good news is, if you want to talk about something else like art, writing or the best story arcs, just start a new post on it like you did this one. Seems there's always somebody here that'll talk about anything. grin.gif

Just don't ask if a Mint comic should be a 10 or a 10.0. It's a sensitive subject. mad.gif

I have registered the domain www.silveragecollecting.com with the plans to build a site all about collecting, mainly silver age, but also bronze and golden age comics. Don't go there yet, as there's nothing there. Suggestions for content are welcomed. I'm most excited about the message boards.

No ETA on completion yet. A few months out at least.

I'm sorry if my post came across as a criticism of the forum, but it isn't. I was just hoping that someone would spark a discussion about comics, that has nothing to do with their CONDITION, nor the PRICE they would "go for". But.....what else is there?

I was just hoping that someone would spark a discussion about comics,

Just start a thread about something you want to talk about, I'm sure you will get some interest. Like the thread you started about Spidey's black suit, that was a good one. cool.gif

Well, you're right, the topics are slanted that way a little sometimes but the best way to correct it is to start a new topic! Preferably one that doesn't have "INVESTING IN COMIC BOOKS" as a header! wink.gif

Dan

I'm a member of the "Silver Age / Golden Age" (SAGA) group on Yahoo. Craig Shutt (CBG's Mr. Silver Age) is a member. There is some good discussion there, but it is the complete opposite of this board. They like their comics "BTH". Beat To Hell. Someone actually said, "If I see a comic I want for VG, I have to think about buying it, because I might find it later coverless for much less."

They're all about the content, not the investment potential. That's why I'm starting my website. As a happy medium between the two. For collectors who love the hobby of collecting comics, yet still collect nice looking comics. For people who can appreciate a nice F or VF, without thinking it's a POS for being less than 9.4.

I consider myself a collector/reader first and foremost. I made that decision some 12 years ago when I ALMOST sold my collection which now numbers over 8 thousand. It wasn't so much the amount the dude was offering to pay as it was the way he was rifiling through my comic boxes. I said to myself at that point that I would not sell my collection.

Oh, I was sniping too. There's no other way to eBay. He was a few seconds after me. Regardless of sniping, his bid was more than mine. I wrote him to see what his max was, and it made me feel better to know it was over $200...more than I was willing to pay.

Go here and look at the purty pictures. This is the best thread going on theses board IMO. Just some guys posting pics of comics they acquire. There’s some off topic [!@#%^&^] also, but just look at the pics and ignore the banter if you like.

Why can't I have it both ways....as a means to the end and as an end to itself.

I sell comics for the sole purpose of making money to buy other comics for my collection. I do not buy other comics with the intention to Flip or for investing purposes. The vast majority of what I sell would be considered [!@#%^&^] by most people, but it sells anyway. The money I make from the sales is then turned around and spent on comics for my collection. Many times I have sold at a loss, and just as many times I have sold for a profit. Either way is fine with me because I no longer want the comics I am selling, and if someone else will give it a good home then all the better. The comics that I do sell are comics that no longer fit my current collecting interest, therefore, they are used to support my current and future interests.

Just my .02 worth.

It tears at my soul everytime I sell one of my books. It doesn't matter how "insignificant" the book may be, it was still part of my collection. I think that's why my comic book collection nevers seems "COMPLETE". I miss EVERY book that I ever owned, that I don't have now......