• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INVESTING IN COMIC BOOKS

83 posts in this topic

John Byrne has always been my favourite artist. When I try to visualize what a particular character looks like, I always go back to a Byrne rendition. X-MEN, Iron Fist, Sabertooth, Hulk, Superman, etc.. When I think about those characters, I think about the JOHN BYRNE issues. I liked Alpha Flight and his run on FF, but I really enjoyed his brief stay with the HULK(314-319). X-men 108-143 are my truly favourite books, and I guess that's why I think that MTU 53 and IF 15 are grossly undervalued. Don't get me wrong... as far as I'm concerned; that's a good thing.

I'm sure I have missed some good ones and in no means did I want to imply that I was poo-poo-ing anything "Modern." The reality is that I have so many comics I started collecting way back when and I'm still reading those when I get a chance. If I start buying new books (or at least maintain the threshold I'm at), my wife would kill me. She actually suggested we get the CSI books! tongue.gif

In other words; even if the "price was right", you couldn't stand to let YOUR copy go.....

I don't believe that too many people would be able to resist the right price on ANY book, assuming they believed that it could be re-aquired more cheaply down the road.

There are very few books that are truly rare and any Modern/Bronze/Silver book can be re-bought at a latter date.

Of course sentimental value comes into it, but lets face it, money talks. grin.gif

"Of course sentimental value comes into it, but lets face it, money talks."

You know what....that should have been the SUBJECT of this thread. You just DEFINED the very reason that all this started. I think I'll just let you guys take it from here.....thanks

By the way, did anyone see how the Wolverine vs. Spider-man thread ended? If not, you should go check it out. Now that's what collecting comic books is all about...

Last year I spent most of the summer reading up on the original Justice League of America comics. Comparing the two titles, it's easy to see why Marvel was so much more popular.

Right??? Those were some tough reads....I bought everyone and dont think I enjoyed any issues after 22 except the first three or four Crisis's crossovers. And that brutal Sekowsky barrel-chested artwork! I like his stuff much more now cause its so stylized and uniquely his style, but fluid or realistic it aint.

Basically any Byrne 1970's Marvel comic in nice shape. Even his early-80's stuff (pre-FF/Alpha Flight) would be a no-go.

This is fact as I've offered to buy nm/m copies of 108, 109, 120, 121, 140... after an initial decline, V won't even reply when I hint anymore. grin.gif So much for sharing the HG hoard. frown.gif

I believe that he was born in the same hospital as me.

Dude! Have you noticed anything different about your hands...or maybe excessive sideburns...quickly healed cuts and bruises...an affinity for redheads?

Yeah, DC did not field their strongest creative team on the Silver Age JLA. Some great covers by Murphy Anderson, though. By the time Dillin and Denny O'Neil arrived on the book, things improved considerably, and I'd put JLA 71-114 (1969-1974) up against the post-Kirby FF and the post-Adams, post-Smith Avengers of the same general period.

I started a thread in the Bronze forums on the subject...

Z.

Does anyone COLLECT comic books anymore? I wish everyone would stop talking about comics as "A MEANS TO AN END", and start talking about collecting comics as "AN END IN ITSELF". Does anyone else want to have a discussion about comics, that has nothing at all to do with the topic of MONEY........? Then again, why would you?

What an insufficiently_thoughtful_person 893blahblah.gif

Does anyone COLLECT comic books anymore? I wish everyone would stop talking about comics as "A MEANS TO AN END", and start talking about collecting comics as "AN END IN ITSELF". Does anyone else want to have a discussion about comics, that has nothing at all to do with the topic of MONEY........? Then again, why would you?

What an insufficiently_thoughtful_person 893blahblah.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif