• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman the Silver Age Omnibus #1 is coming in December 2023

5 posts in this topic

Great news Superman the Silver Age Omnibus @1 is coming Dec 5, 2023 in the Omnibus format. It contains Superman 122-137 and Action Comics 241-265. The retail price is only $100 and I see it  on Amazon for $90 and thriftbooks for $81. 680 oversized pages remastered!!! Coming up on 85 years. the Superman archive editions were hard to come by and of course I am looking forward to upgraded remastered images and  printing. These in my opinion were just plain great stuff. I hope this leads to other editions coming out like Rip Hunter, Challengers etc.....let me know what you think!

Edited by Mmehdy

Great news but I have the Archives and most of the original Superman issues so I probably won’t be buying it.

On 5/7/2023 at 3:34 PM, Mmehdy said:

Great news Superman the Silver Age Omnibus @1 is coming Dec 5, 2023 in the Omnibus format. It contains Superman 122-137 and Action Comics 241-265. The retail price is only $100 and I see it  on Amazon for $90 and thriftbooks for $81. 680 oversized pages remastered!!! Coming up on 85 years. the Superman archive editions were hard to come by and of course I am looking forward to upgraded remastered images and  printing. These in my opinion were just plain great stuff. I hope this leads to other editions coming out like Rip Hunter, Challengers etc.....let me know what you think!

It IS great stuff but it covers no real new ground in that the issues to be contained in this Omnibus are almost identical to those included in the "Superman Man of Tomorrow" three volume DC archives series.  

It's an annoying trait of DC.  They take the material to a certain point and then stop and start all over again.  Besides this Superman example, there are numerous other examples of this - the Superman/Batman DC Chronicles series being one of them.  This was a great series - affordable; good quality reproduction; and, it reproduced the World's Finest stories as well.  Then it abruptly stopped.

The point is well taken though that the Archives have been out of print for sometime now.  Some are hard to find some are not.  Either way they can be pricey.  This Omnibus and hopefully future ones will give readers a cost friendly vehicle for reading these great stories.  I'd also like to see them issued in smaller increments too.  Those omnibus volumes are unwieldy and heavy.

You mention Challengers.  That Archives series that went two volumes (up to issue #8) and then stopped.  What happened?

I'd like DC to issue the early 50s Phantom Stranger run as well as The New Adventures of Charlie Chan.  How about a reissue of the Golden Age Spectre? - I missed it the first time and it's now very pricey.

On 5/13/2023 at 11:42 AM, pemart1966 said:

It IS great stuff but it covers no real new ground in that the issues to be contained in this Omnibus are almost identical to those included in the "Superman Man of Tomorrow" three volume DC archives series.  

It's an annoying trait of DC.  They take the material to a certain point and then stop and start all over again.  Besides this Superman example, there are numerous other examples of this - the Superman/Batman DC Chronicles series being one of them.  This was a great series - affordable; good quality reproduction; and, it reproduced the World's Finest stories as well.  Then it abruptly stopped.

The point is well taken though that the Archives have been out of print for sometime now.  Some are hard to find some are not.  Either way they can be pricey.  This Omnibus and hopefully future ones will give readers a cost friendly vehicle for reading these great stories.  I'd also like to see them issued in smaller increments too.  Those omnibus volumes are unwieldy and heavy.

You mention Challengers.  That Archives series that went two volumes (up to issue #8) and then stopped.  What happened?

I'd like DC to issue the early 50s Phantom Stranger run as well as The New Adventures of Charlie Chan.  How about a reissue of the Golden Age Spectre? - I missed it the first time and it's now very pricey.

I agree it has been printed before, but the new omnibus are larger and sometimes better colored or printed. I think we all need to support this project so there will be a VOL 2. Challengers of the Unknown would be a fantastic omnibus....so would your other suggestions, but my advice is even if you have the Archives trade up and support this project and news ones,. Heck, you might be able to sell the smaller editions and get the new one for free.

On 5/13/2023 at 1:42 PM, pemart1966 said:

I think that the Archive series only covered the Jack Kirby issues.