• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

20th Century's ALITA 2 directed by Robert Rodriguez (TBD)

10 posts in this topic

Fans have been trying to convince 20th Century Studios to make a sequel to Alita: Battle Angel for years now. And, according to director Jon Landau, a sequel to the movie is officially in development.

This was shared by Landau who recently spoke with ScreenRant about the project. “We’re working on it,” Landau says, before going into more detail about the project.

Interestingly, Landau claims that their work on Avatar is part of what makes Alita: Battle Angel 2 even possible. Here’s what he had to say on that front:

“I think what we’ve learned from Avatar is how much more facial nuance and subtlety that we can get into characters that we want to be emotional and emote that are humanoid,” he explains. “Alita would not have been possible, but for what we did on Avatar. Avatar: The Way of Water would not be what it is but what we did for Alita. And now let’s put that back and give it back to Alita.”

Of course, fans may be wondering if original director Robert Rodriguez and star Rosa Salazar are involved. Landau delivers good news about both of them.

“We’re talking to Robert [Rodriguez, who directed the original] and talking to Rosa [Salazar, who portrayed Alita] and all is good.”

It turns out that James Cameron and Jon landau have been trying to get an “Alita” sequel going for a while, but Bob Iger has made it clear that the only way this will happen is if Cameron directs it himself and not original director Robert Rodriguez. 

Cameron has been reluctant to do this since he's planning his “Last Train from Hiroshima” adaptation which is set to shoot in-between the 3rd and 4th ‘Avatar’ films, but I’m being told he is considering taking up Iger’s offer. 

On 7/10/2023 at 11:17 PM, TeddieMercede said:

Man Cameron needs to step up to the plate and make BA 2 happen. Would be an incredible film. 

From the linked article:

Family has been central to the Camerons during their two-decade-plus stay at the ranch and it’s partly why they’re selling. The couple’s three children are “all pretty much out on their own now,” the Canadian-born director says. “And on Avatar, I’m working in Wellington and Los Angeles. And on the new Alita: Battle Angel films, I’ll be working in Austin, so it just didn’t make sense for us anymore.”

Hopefully they officially announced it soon, versus a surprise mention in a real estate interview.

:wishluck: