• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new dei criteria for being nominated for oscars

32 posts in this topic

those bird, mchale, ainge, sichting, wedman, walton celtics oftentimes had 5 white guys on the court at the same time.   there's talk of making them take the banners down.   

kidding, but just barely.

On 5/9/2023 at 8:03 AM, Straw-Man said:

has there ever been a more punchable face than ainge's?

That the Celtics finally gave him the boot for not being good enough is enough for me.  :wink:

On 5/9/2023 at 4:19 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I almost never watched award ceremonies and this simply guarantees that I never will again.

Same. But this puts a lot of pressure on the industry to awkwardly jam in even more social propaganda into great storylines and casts, weakening the whole production rather than just make a great quality film. 

Films like "Amadeus", "Apollo 13", "Tombstone", "Unforgiven", "Rain Man", "ET", "Goodfellas", "Braveheart", "Saving Private Ryan" and so many others would either need to hamfistedly socially-propagandized or just ignored for their greatness by the industry. 

Except...this is for Best Picture nominations only - and the inclusion categories are *incredibly* broad.

I'd like to see an analysis of what % of Best Picture nominees from the last 5 years *wouldn't* have qualified given the criteria.

I look at this as akin to the Bechdel test. Useful, but not a magic bullet.

What was most interesting about the Bechdel test was the surprising films that qualified or did not.

Films with all- or nearly all-male casts? Like Reservoir Dogs or Glengarry Glen Ross? Sure. Easy "did not pass."

But apparently in the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, there were only two short conversations that qualified (i.e., featured two women talking to each other about a topic other than a man).

On 5/9/2023 at 9:43 AM, jcjames said:

Films like "Amadeus", "Apollo 13", "Tombstone", "Unforgiven", "Rain Man", "ET", "Goodfellas", "Braveheart", "Saving Private Ryan" and so many others would either need to hamfistedly socially-propagandized or just ignored for their greatness by the industry. 

Yes - and not one of those films mentioned came out in the last 25 years, during which U.S. demographic standards have shifted dramatically.

I could see entire genres of historical films being excluded due to the new criteria, however (westerns and WW 2 films being the obvious ones).

For instance, I suspect there's no way "All Quiet on the Western Front" would have made the Best Picture cut last year.

But the Academy President is on the record that not only would "All Quiet on the Western Front" have qualified, but literally all the past Best Picture nominees would have (I'm skeptical).

https://news.sky.com/story/oscars-2023-academy-president-says-new-diversity-rules-next-year-wouldnt-change-a-single-film-in-contention-even-historically-12829563#:~:text=Additionally%2C the Academy's new diversity,diverse racial or ethnic groups.

On 5/9/2023 at 6:56 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Yes - and not one of those films mentioned came out in the last 25 years, during which U.S. demographic standards have shifted dramatically.

I could see entire genres of historical films being excluded due to the new criteria, however (westerns and WW 2 films being the obvious ones).

For instance, I suspect there's no way "All Quiet on the Western Front" would have made the Best Picture cut last year.

But the Academy President is on the record that not only would "All Quiet on the Western Front" have qualified, but literally all the past Best Picture nominees would have (I'm skeptical).

https://news.sky.com/story/oscars-2023-academy-president-says-new-diversity-rules-next-year-wouldnt-change-a-single-film-in-contention-even-historically-12829563#:~:text=Additionally%2C the Academy's new diversity,diverse racial or ethnic groups.

I was going off top of my head memory, and that's the pictures I remember since I haven't watched the Oscar's in, oh, probably about 20 years! Lol 😆 

If what the Academy President said is right (most doubtful)  - then that only proves there's no need to force DEI into the industry via best-picture requirements. Which to me proves their dishonesty no matter what. 

Edited by jcjames

On 5/9/2023 at 9:43 AM, jcjames said:

Same. But this puts a lot of pressure on the industry to awkwardly jam in even more social propaganda into great storylines and casts, weakening the whole production rather than just make a great quality film. 

We'll find out who the true artists are with these dumb guidelines. We can already tell really well who's in it for the art or the message, but this should cull some others.

On 5/9/2023 at 12:05 AM, jcjames said:

Richard Dreyfuss: 

Dreyfuss told Margaret Hoover during an interview Friday on the PBS series "Firing Line" that such rules "make me vomit."

When Hoover asked him why, the actor said, "Because this is an art form."

"I don't think that there is a minority or a majority in this country that has to be catered to like that," 

He then cited a bit of a history regarding Laurence Olivier being "the last white actor to play Othello," referring to the 1965 film, in which the British actor performed in blackface

Dreyfuss praised the performance, saying Olivier played the role "brilliantly."

"Am I being told that I will never have a chance to play a Black man?" Dreyfuss said. "Is someone else being told that if they're not Jewish they shouldn't play the Merchant of Venice? Are we crazy? Do we not know that art is art?"

...."Because it's patronizing," he said. "Because it says that we're so fragile that we can't have our feelings hurt."