• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 49
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Denting and small tears on upper edge, blunted corners with multiple color breaking creases at the top right, a small triangular piece missing from lower left corner, small, jagged tears/chipping on outer edge, minor to moderate spine stress with color breaking spine ticks, slight spine roll, some color loss on front cover, folded/torn/blunted top left corner of rear cover, long crease starting near the top of the rear cover outer edge, fraying along outer edge of rear cover, moderate foxing on rear cover.

Since I cannot see the centerfold/staples I will assume it is not loose/detached and all pages are attached.

IMO...

4.5 VERY GOOD+ (VG):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Good but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

around 6.0 for me. I think the foxing will be the tipping point. By CGC standards this has some manufacturing defects that should deduct from the grade from something with the creases or foxing.

On 5/15/2023 at 2:48 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Denting and small tears on upper edge, blunted corners with multiple color breaking creases at the top right, a small triangular piece missing from lower left corner, small, jagged tears/chipping on outer edge, minor to moderate spine stress with color breaking spine ticks, slight spine roll, some color loss on front cover, folded/torn/blunted top left corner of rear cover, long crease starting near the top of the rear cover outer edge, fraying along outer edge of rear cover, moderate foxing on rear cover.

Since I cannot see the centerfold/staples I will assume it is not loose/detached and all pages are attached.

IMO...

4.5 VERY GOOD+ (VG):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Good but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

Thank you for your thought! I would point out though that there is no piece out of the front cover in the bottom left corner. It’s a bit of an illusion but the corner is really the sky background. I would hope that you might bump me up a point or so. Yes?

On 5/16/2023 at 12:31 PM, WestCoast Will said:

Thank you for your thought! I would point out though that there is no piece out of the front cover in the bottom left corner. It’s a bit of an illusion but the corner is really the sky background. I would hope that you might bump me up a point or so. Yes?

It really does not matter what I think, I grade conservatively. As CGC randomly changes their stance on certain defects as time goes by, I do not, I am old school and still follow the Overstreet/Heritage Auction grading standards, when in doubt/or on the fence, I always assign the lower grade.

Having said all of that, IMO, I feel, the others were lenient in their grades (nothing against them or you, just a difference of opinion), I feel that with the creasing and folds, dented upper edge and color breaking spine ticks this book will not see a FN 6.0, if that is not a missing piece then maybe, just maybe, a VG/FN 5.0.

Even the grading standards themselves are not entirely clear on creasing, 

FN 6.0 - An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with NO SIGNIFIGANT CREASING or other serious defects. Minor cover wear apparent, with MINOR TO MODERATE CREASES. (shrug)  ???

Significant - very large or noticeable

Moderate - average in amount, intensity, quality, or degree. WHAT IS AVERAGE?

Minor - lesser in importance, seriousness, or significance.

By those definitions, IMO the creasing at the top right is Significant, They are not book length, however, I noticed them right away, also, what is Average? Maybe the new CGC grading guide sheds some light on how long of a crease(s), or how many creases makes it significant, moderate or minor, but for now, it is totally up to individual perception, how it is viewed and how the grading standards are interpreted, there is no Black and White, lots of Gray areas. The hardest part of grading is being objective, especially when they are your own books.

Everyone assumes CGC is always 100% correct, and they should be, they are supposed to be the "Experts", that is why they charge you $$$ for the services, this grading service is free and may or may not agree with CGC.

Just to further the point, if your book was for sale at a show and it was graded at a FN 6.0 with a FN 6.0 price, I would pass.

Here is a pic of my ASM 49 that I graded at a GD/VG 3.0.

Amazing-Spider-Man-49-GD-VG-3-0.jpg

Here is your book.

IMG-6691-thumb-jpeg-474a1af2a37f6ef7bb7e

On 6/26/2023 at 4:35 PM, WestCoast Will said:

Just came back from CGC. 5.5

Dang, that's what I was going to guess. Nice.

I've had this book since I was a kid. One of my earliest SA. Thanks for sharing.