• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Dracula Lives 21 (UK, Blade part II)
1 1

6 posts in this topic

So there are 5 copies of part II of the Tomb of Dracula 10 reprint on the census, presumably b/c it is the one with the original cover art. Having looked at a limited number of these magazine-sized UK reprints, I can't understate how cheaply these were made. I sincerely hope it was meant as a big FU to our former oppressors :shiftyeyes: 🇺🇸

My (assumed) production related notes on this copy:

• The top edge has some unevenness in the blue color along the top edge. There aren't a ton of copes out there to compare with, but this seems like a pretty consistent feature of the book. I think it was intended to be a solid blue, but my best guess is that the red ink from the title box was applied in a way that it mixed with the other inks. The TRFC is like a little brown box (this was the only reason I hesitated buying this), but in-hand I'm pretty sure it's an extension of the same ink issue. There's clearly gloss all along the top and no evidence of staining on the reverse of the page.
  • The bottom staple is not attached to the centerfold, however, I'm not sure it ever was attached b/c I don't see staple holes. I don't want to mess with it too much b/c the paper is so thin and the spine fold isn't helping  that

PXL_20230516_152132714.jpg

PXL_20230516_152150582.jpg

PXL_20230516_152217030.jpg

PXL_20230516_152235517.jpg

PXL_20230516_152400185.jpg

Edited by scburdet

Really odd when it comes to the staple... I know if things have become totally detached at one staple, it tends to fall to a 4.0, but I've never seen something graded that was missing a staple from a production error. Depending on that, the rest would have me guessing around 6.5

Staples missing in production is a known issue and CGC don't penalise the grade, so if high enough grade can still hit 9.6 or 9.8. my understanding is they add a note on label something like "Manufactured with staple missing"

Regardless I'm at 9.2+. Again you may want clean and press prior.

16842850523821472576639101233384.jpg

On 5/16/2023 at 10:01 PM, Every Day A Story said:

"Manufactured with staple missing"

Yip. I've got a 9.6 "manufactured without staples" green label. This one is a little weird b/c there is a staple, it just didn't get into a lot of the wraps. I've got to see down with it and carefully examine. I also wish standard magazine boards were tall enough to back the entire book for these kind of UK books. I've got 5 books now that the top hangs over the board by ½"

Also happy with this one. The 2nd appearance of Blade in the UK reprint :wink:. There is one 9.0 in the census and only 8 other copies (should be 9 when the census updates). I think this speaks to ow few of these are out there, and how most of those copies are not in great shape. TBH all these UK books are a total PITA to handle. They're flimsy & large. Not a great combo. The notes did mention the detached wraps at the bottom staple & the tearing of those wraps. Hard to know exactly how that factored into the grade, but they're the only notes. Again, I believe this is production related b/c the materials are so cheap, but IDK for sure. I'm just glad it didn't get totally hammered for that b/c it looks great in the slab.

DraculaLives21.jpg