• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Transformers 1 | 1984
1 1

3 posts in this topic

The marks on the top of the pages were used by the vendors to know when to return the unsold books for credit, I found this in an old thread...

"This color bar is a code that dates from the "returns" time when newsstand distributors would rotate stock. I believe it was a 4-color (weekly) cycle, so that when the new weekly stock came in, the oldest comics would be easily identified and removed from the stands. At some point, the color-coding moved from the level of the distributors (where it was added post-production, leading to variable color penetration to the top of the books) to the actual printed page for uniformity."

The small holes on the bottom of the pages are "Gripper Holes" or "Perforations"  made by the machine that holds/pulls the pages during the printing process, they are normal and should not affect the grade of the book.

Perforations - Small hole at the page margins which sometimes occur as part of the manufacturing process. Not considered a defect. Perforations are sometimes used to tell if a comic is an unread copy. In such a copy tell-tale clicks are heard when the book is opened for the first time as the perforations separate.

As far as a grade on this book, I could not enlarge the photo's enough without them getting blurry to see any small defects, however, I did not see any obvious defects either. Going by what I am able to see, I will not give a grade above NM 9.4 without having the book in front of me, so...

9.4 NEAR MINT (NM):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Subtle bindery/printing defects are allowed. Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/4" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and a minimum of fading. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:19 AM, marvelmaniac said:

The marks on the top of the pages were used by the vendors to know when to return the unsold books for credit, I found this in an old thread...

"This color bar is a code that dates from the "returns" time when newsstand distributors would rotate stock. I believe it was a 4-color (weekly) cycle, so that when the new weekly stock came in, the oldest comics would be easily identified and removed from the stands. At some point, the color-coding moved from the level of the distributors (where it was added post-production, leading to variable color penetration to the top of the books) to the actual printed page for uniformity."

The small holes on the bottom of the pages are "Gripper Holes" or "Perforations"  made by the machine that holds/pulls the pages during the printing process, they are normal and should not affect the grade of the book.

Perforations - Small hole at the page margins which sometimes occur as part of the manufacturing process. Not considered a defect. Perforations are sometimes used to tell if a comic is an unread copy. In such a copy tell-tale clicks are heard when the book is opened for the first time as the perforations separate.

As far as a grade on this book, I could not enlarge the photo's enough without them getting blurry to see any small defects, however, I did not see any obvious defects either. Going by what I am able to see, I will not give a grade above NM 9.4 without having the book in front of me, so...

9.4 NEAR MINT (NM):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Subtle bindery/printing defects are allowed. Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/4" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and a minimum of fading. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

Thank you for your input, much appreaciated. Next time I post here I will provide better quality pics.