• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I making a mistake selling this now?
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Remember my old topic about my batman 635. I have a buyer for it, i left it for 30dollars. Did you think i will regret it in many years? I imagine a lot of people had them in their hands a batman 232 (for exemple) at the time the book was recent and throw it or sell it low because is hurted and now regret it because the value have grow up. I want to say even in poor condition a valuable book stay valuable, and if batman 635 value continue to grow up an 5/6 examplar in 20 years probably cost the price of a 9 examplar today.

Screenshot_20230517-080436_EditorLite.thumb.jpg.d77caa7c577d3bcd54c96195d2eaa0d7.jpg

Edited by BA773

On 5/17/2023 at 2:29 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

You have upgraded already, so let this one give another collector some pleasure. We can't always keep 2 copies of every comic! 

I sell it to a friend so i will always have a vision on it :bigsmile:

On 5/17/2023 at 12:01 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Sounds like the 1990's all over again.

Really? Did this book come out last week? Last month at least? Last year? Last decade? Well, at least it didn't come out last century.

From 1980 to 1988 I collected pre Robin and early Robin DETECTIVE COMICS, I amassed a pretty good amount of them, some of the highlights were a #34 in high grade for $90, a #35 I paid the "ungodly" sum of $300 for in what was probably 6.0 and a whole bunch more, I had most of them with the exception of a #27 and a #28 (I never wanted them because I'd read the #27 in reprints and the #28 had such a lousy cover).  I probably paid in total about $1k for them and at the time that was a LOT of money to a kid who worked a part time job up until 1986-- 1988 I got engaged and sold most of them to buy the ring for $3k.  I thought it was a pretty good deal at the time.  Got 3x my money for them.   How's that stack up today?  That wife is long gone (and good riddance) and now I'm buying back the Detectives at 100x and more the price I initially paid.   If I'd gone to the bank in 1988 to buy that ring I would have paid back probably $4.3k with my then lousy credit.  How much would those same Detectives be worth now?

I see comics like stocks, long term investments and not tradable commodities.  I'm a lot smarter now than I was then.  I'll never sell a Golden Age Batman Comic again.  

Edited by AndyFish

On 5/17/2023 at 1:35 PM, Lazyboy said:

Really? Did this book come out last week? Last month at least? Last year? Last decade? Well, at least it didn't come out last century.

The comment, "sounds like the 1990's" was not related to the book itself, I know nothing about the book in question, the comment of "sounds like the 1990's" was/is related to the comment made below by "shadroch", the comment reminded me of the early 1990's when everybody was hoarding new copies of all of the variant/gimmick covers and artificially increasing the value.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:42 AM, shadroch said:

You have two copies of a book you think will explode in value. Why stop there? Why not buy another dozen for so? When it is time to pay for your kids schools, you might thank me.

So raw copies of #635 are currently at between $60-80USD it seems for higher grade copies. Graded 9.6 copies are selling for around the $140-150 range. This is down from the heights a few years ago.

I think this book will always have desirability but I cannot imagine it becoming a $200-300 raw book in the next decade. Maybe two decades? I just see it as a book that is plentiful and I don't know that the first appearance warrants it to go much beyond that value as time progresses. I definitely do not see it becoming 5 or 6 times its value in 20 years (meaning it would be a $300-400 raw book. I could be proven wrong but I just don't see it have that kind of growth trajectory.