• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Gore Shriek
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Silver & Bronze Marvel horror is my jam & if I won the lottery I'd start in on all the pre-code stuff. More recent stuff in the genre is not as interesting; however, this is the first pro work of Greg Capullo, and creator firsts are something I collect too. It's not a rare book per se, but b/c it came from a small publisher & I assume a lot of the readers weren't traditional collectors. What I've seen out in the world is often mid-grade (made worse by the black highlighting every little crease & tic). Came across this one that looked decent enough, but the sellers photos/description didn't really highlight the TLFC where there are some speckly little defects. It's kind of like a scuff, but not like other scuffs I've seen, so IDK exactly how to characterize it. Tried to highlight the defect; as always, the lighting makes it look a little worse than a "normal" viewing. Trying to figure out if I should keep it, or send it back.

PXL_20230519_031918117.jpg

PXL_20230519_031930109.jpg

PXL_20230519_032003198.jpg

PXL_20230519_032115209.jpg

@LowGradeBronze @Mars76

Coincidentally, a copy came up for sale overnight on ebay at 9.0 (graded last month, no grader notes). You can see multiple defects (excluding what appear to be two scratches on the holder) that, to my eye, should land it lower. I do suspect there are different standards for indy books than the big publishers analogous to GAs/SAs/moderns. That or the grader had a bad day.

s-l1600.png