• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to store your collection.

28 posts in this topic

Got my 8 thou on my 2nd floor. On the carpet. All in some 40+ small boxes. Half in my closet. Older books in Mylites/Mylar 2's. A good bit of them have been with me from east coast to west coast. They even survived a 3 and 1/2 day coast-to-coast trip back in '86, in a non-air conditioned U-haul. shocked.gifcrazy.gif

Because several months ago I admitted to storing new comics in a poly bag for 20+ years and have noticed little or no effect on the gloss.

I concur, and can report the exact same experience.

One experiment that bears looking into, however, is the page quality of books stored in polybags versus Mylar (versus none, perhaps?). I'm still uncertain if my books from 15+ years ago would have any whiter pages if they weren't stored in polyethelene all these years ...? Comments?

As an aside, I'm also curious as to why someone in this conspiracy-crazy group hasn't floated the notion that bag companies are colluding to maintain the belief that polyethelene/polypropolyne bags hurt our treasures?!? Oh wait, I think someone just did .... blush.gif

Al

As an aside, I'm also curious as to why someone in this conspiracy-crazy group hasn't floated the notion that bag companies are colluding to maintain the belief that polyethelene/polypropolyne bags hurt our treasures?!? Oh wait, I think someone just did ....

Wouldn't it make more sense for the companies to want us to buy the poly bags that we have to REPLACE every few years as opposed to making the one-time investment on Mylars? Seems to me that they'd make more money with the polys.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the companies to want us to buy the poly bags that we have to REPLACE every few years as opposed to making the one-time investment on Mylars? Seems to me that they'd make more money with the polys.

I was referring to the bag companies that strictly make polypropolyne/polyethelyne ones ... there are other comic storage companies besides BCE & Gerber, ya know!

And these latter businesses have their own conspiracies going, anyway ... like why in the world do I have to buy five acid free boxes at a time?!? grin.gif

Al