• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTAGRAPHICS POPEYE REPRINTS, FULL SET, CLOSED
3 3

4 posts in this topic

Waaaay back in 1985 Fantagraphics started reprinting the entire Popeye series of newspaper Sundays and Dailies by
the originator,  Elzie C. Segar, all originally published under the name Thimble Theatre. Popeye showed up in 1929 as 
a supporting character, long after Olive Oyl and the rest of the Oyl family had appeared. Didn't take long and he took over
the strip, and  Popeye is still popular neary a century later. 

I ran across the second volume, read it and fell in love, bought the rest in hardcover as they came out. 
It took YEARS but I finally found the first volume (in softcover) and had a complete set.  I've been looking for
affordable HC copies of 1 and 2 for a long time now with no success...until very recently. 
I stumbled over an entire HC set on eBay, all eleven volumes, all gorgeous, all in hardcover, and the mad fool canny salesman
took my insulting low offer, lol 

So now I'm selling my original set. Complete Segar Popeye, eleven volumes, the last nine in hardcover. 
If you've never experienced Popeye in anything but the Fleischer cartoons (or later iterations) you've been missing out on some of the best story telling in strip form EVER. This is among my top five newspaper strips of all time,  ranking right up there with 
Terry and the Pirates, Krazy Kat, and  The Phantom, all of which were glorious in the heyday of adventure strips. 

Volume 2, the first one I bought, has a bit of shelf wear and a couple light stains, the rest are all sharp. 
I'll warn you now, the Sunday reprints, Vol 1 through 4, are huge, and need some decent space to shelve properly. 

The Sundays measure 11-1/2 x 15-1/2, the Dailies measure 11-1/2 x 9

Complete set, 1 through 11, with 1 & 2 being softcovers, the rest all HC, for $350  Let's make it $300
Buyer to pay exact shipping costs, probably in the neighborhood of  $35 or so, even by media rate, these things are heavy. 

Here's the usual this and that:

DA RULEZ

I'll put up a big scan of the FC,  note anything else I spot,  and as always,  if you'd like a scan 
of the  back cover I'll be happy to  supply it.

Shipping to USA ONLY  for this lot. 

:TAKEIT:  rules the roost,  but PM's, kibitzing,  and general tomfoolery  are welcome.
CHECK OR MONEY ORDER GREATLY PREFERRED, I despise paypal.   

If you just GOTTA pay with paypal  PM me first and we'll work something out.

Returns for any reason on your dime, and for any missed major flaw or bad description on my dime.

My Kudos thread:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/196720-catrick339-nuff-said/#comments

POP12.jpg

POP1.jpg

POP2.jpg

POP3.jpg

POP4.jpg

POP5.jpg

POP6.jpg

POP7.jpg

POP8.jpg

POP9.jpg