• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FREAKY Magazine
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Anybody know anything about this?  I can't seem to find anything about it online.  Given the cover price, it appears to be a relatively new title, but it does seem to be trying to capitalize on the CREEPY/EERIE archetype.

image.thumb.png.9d8775758787f456b19c2cf1e533666b.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385637048591

Was it just a one-shot?  Are there other issues?  Anyone know anything?

On 5/26/2023 at 2:27 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Never saw that version of a magazine titled Freaky. This, however, seems to have come out pretty regularly at the comics stores I frequent, over the last few years. I buy a copy every now and then after a flip through.....

Freaky.jpg.e38d264e3613816af1c03c0f17225b39.jpg

Yeah, that was all I could find too, when I searched for the one I posted about.  That book seems to have a lot of issues, but I saw that copy of #1, and it's not the same.  On the other hand, I can't find any other issues similar to the one I posted, or really even any information about THAT issue itself.

So...???

Edited by Axe Elf

Welp, given my obsession with all things Warren and Warrenesque, coupled with the relative dearth of information about something seemingly so clearly modeled after the Warren prototypes, I was forced to weigh my $30 (including tax and shipping) against my FOMO, and the FOMO won.

So now that I've purchased FREAKY #1, I'm sure there will turn out to be 500 more issues for me to collect...

FOMO or FML; I'm about to find out...

Grand Comics Database also has a one-issue series (?) called "Freaky" but it was issued in 1976 and #1 doesn't look the same as either of the above...

936867.jpg.cd9107f3fce6d9551f6b0b7c3fe03ca3.jpg

Curiouser and curiouser...

Yep, looks just like the Warren layout... now I just hope there aren't any more issues...

On 5/26/2023 at 6:06 PM, Axe Elf said:

Yep, looks just like the Warren layout... now I just hope there aren't any more issues...

As I recall, after Ray Ferry moved on from publishing FMOF, he tried this somewhat unusual format before he launched "Freaky Monsters" magazine (which is much more in line with the FMOF format). I believe this is the only issue. He used to have it for sale on his "Filmland Classics" website. 

I think it's actually a pretty cool idea, but apparently he decided to go in a different direction... 

On 5/26/2023 at 5:41 PM, The Lions Den said:

As I recall, after Ray Ferry moved on from publishing FMOF, he tried this somewhat unusual format before he launched "Freaky Monsters" magazine (which is much more in line with the FMOF format). I believe this is the only issue. He used to have it for sale on his "Filmland Classics" website. 

I think it's actually a pretty cool idea, but apparently he decided to go in a different direction... 

Yeah, I saw the "Freaky Monsters" title in researching this one too.  Cool to hear how it is connected as well.  Since I'm not (yet) into Famous Monsters of Filmland, I can probably continue to let the "Freaky Monsters" clone slide as well, but owning this little "transitional fossil" will be kind of cool.

Thanks for the information!

On 5/26/2023 at 11:14 PM, Artifiction said:

With any luck, DiscoDadda has gotten better at packaging magazines. Keep your fingers crossed.

That name sounds very familiar. I think I’ve ordered from them before. I really can’t remember how the package was sent though…

On 5/26/2023 at 10:14 PM, Artifiction said:

With any luck, DiscoDadda has gotten better at packaging magazines. Keep your fingers crossed.

On 5/26/2023 at 11:04 PM, Jayman said:

That name sounds very familiar. I think I’ve ordered from them before. I really can’t remember how the package was sent though…

The seller sounded familiar to me too; I've probably bought some other Warren-related book from them over the past year in the course of my collecting.  I don't remember anything standing out about their packaging or transaction, though.  I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 5/26/2023 at 9:56 PM, Axe Elf said:

Grand Comics Database also has a one-issue series (?) called "Freaky" but it was issued in 1976 and #1 doesn't look the same as either of the above...

936867.jpg.cd9107f3fce6d9551f6b0b7c3fe03ca3.jpg

Curiouser and curiouser...

Whoa! Never seen this cover before, I like it. 

Arrived today; pretty cool.  The cover is almost cardstock, and even the interior pages are of a heavy, glossy paper--it's a sturdy book, and in really good shape!

FREAKY1F.thumb.jpg.350e150e5e7f1a93d52f5a4cf42971ef.jpgFREAKY1B.thumb.jpg.062d24fb7016e0a430c773b51841cf08.jpg

Love that fine print on the back cover--"Ad is for display only.  DO NOT ORDER.  Company is no longer in business!"  lol

Edited by Axe Elf

On 6/1/2023 at 10:58 PM, Axe Elf said:

Arrived today; pretty cool.  The cover is almost cardstock, and even the interior pages are of a heavy, glossy paper--it's a sturdy book, and in really good shape!

It is cool but I’m mildly disappointed that the full cover is a swipe and that even the skeleton in the top corner is also swiped from this PCH book! For a first issue, I would expect at least something new on the cover. rantrant

IMG_1873.jpeg

On 6/2/2023 at 7:23 AM, Jayman said:

For a first issue, I would expect at least something new on the cover.

But even that is kind of in keeping with the Warren tradition of reprints.  :)

On 6/2/2023 at 8:23 AM, Jayman said:

It is cool but I’m mildly disappointed that the full cover is a swipe and that even the skeleton in the top corner is also swiped from this PCH book! For a first issue, I would expect at least something new on the cover. rantrant

IMG_1873.jpeg

I've been watching one of those for a long time, now. Unfortunately, I will always be just watching. Love the cover, though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256061514931