• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate spiderman #1 White Variant

111 posts in this topic

I had some good luck and I was just plain ole stupid when comes to Ultimate Spidey 1. After driving around and looking for a copy (after hearing it was sold out) I found a store with 10 copies and bought all of them. As for the white version, at another store, I had one in my hand and put it back thinking, "I've already have 10 of these." So dumb was I.

Oh, and I ordered 12 copies of the DF variant. Glad I did.

you bought 10 regular copies + 12 DF variant?!

talk about a great investisement...whoever says to you that moderns aren't worth anything, give him a big laugh!!! grin.gifwink.gifthumbsup2.gif

regards

I had some good luck and I was just plain ole stupid when comes to Ultimate Spidey 1. After driving around and looking for a copy (after hearing it was sold out) I found a store with 10 copies and bought all of them. As for the white version, at another store, I had one in my hand and put it back thinking, "I've already have 10 of these." So dumb was I.

talk about a great investisement...whoever says to you that moderns aren't worth anything, give him a big laugh!!! grin.gifwink.gifthumbsup2.gif

regards

Not very wise for anybody to be using this one particular example and then applying it carte blanc to say that all Moderns would make a great investment. This statement of yours would not apply to 99.9% of the Modern books.

I assume you must also be chasing after all of the variant editions of the Spidey #1 book by McFarlance that came out in the beginning of the 90's. Now that was also seen to be the hottest book of all time when it came out and I don't see much hype about it now 15 years after the fact.

The problem with Moderns is that they normally tend to have a short shelf life before all the specualators move onto the next hot item. It is very rare indeed to see a Modern book retain its peak value over the long or even medium term.

Ultimate Spiderman #1 seems to be one of the only Modern books to retain its value over the medium term so far. No idea what it's going to do over the long term. Will it continue to go up like Hulk #181 or fall most of the way back like McFarlane's Spidey #1? Only time will tell, I guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

regards

Not very wise for anybody to be using this one particular example and then applying it carte blanc to say that all Moderns would make a great investment. This statement of yours would not apply to 99.9% of the Modern books.

I assume you must also be chasing after all of the variant editions of the Spidey #1 book by McFarlance that came out in the beginning of the 90's. Now that was also seen to be the hottest book of all time when it came out and I don't see much hype about it now 15 years after the fact.

The problem with Moderns is that they normally tend to have a short shelf life before all the specualators move onto the next hot item. It is very rare indeed to see a Modern book retain its peak value over the long or even medium term.

Ultimate Spiderman #1 seems to be one of the only Modern books to retain its value over the medium term so far. No idea what it's going to do over the long term. Will it continue to go up like Hulk #181 or fall most of the way back like McFarlane's Spidey #1? Only time will tell, I guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Has a McFarlane Spidey #1 green or black cover ever sold for $100 on a regular basis? screwy.gif

regards

Has a McFarlane Spidey #1 green or black cover ever sold for $100 on a regular basis? screwy.gif

Certainly hope not since I thought we were talking about variant covers here.

I still remember back in my first SD convention during the early 1990's. The Spidey Platinum Retailer edition had just come out a few months prior and was the absolute hottest book on the market at the time. Dealers were asking and getting 4 figures for this book.

I saw quite a few dealers at the con asking $1K for this book and telling me that I was missing the opportunity of a lifetime by not taking them up on their offer. After all, it was the hottest book on the market with nowhere to go but up since it was featuring not only the hottest character around, but also stunningly beautiful artwork by the hottest artist of the Modern era.

After listening to these offers, I turned the corner into the GA section and found a dealer with HG copies of Captain America #29 and #31. Turns out the dealer was willing to let both of them go for around guide for $1,000 or the same amount required to pick up a copy of the Spidey variant. Needless to say, this was a no-brainer to me as to which deal I was going to choose. I still remember the Spidey dealers laughing and saying that only old geezers brought these old books and prices would fall through the floor when they all die off.

Well, almost 15 years later, the Spidey Platinum edition now guides for only $120 in top guide while the 2 Captain Americas now guide for almost $7K in top codition. No problem for me to sell it since I have always been offered over top guide for these two books. Not sure if you would ever get top guide for the McFarlane Spidey #1 nowadays.

So I guess we'll see where the Ultimate Spidey #1 is in 2015, or whether is there another hot Modern book around to take its place. All I know is that the two Captain Americas I have will most likely not have fallen through the floor, even though most of the old geezers will have died off by then. 27_laughing.gif

regards

Please let me know where i stated saying ALL the moderns are worth big bucks...!!! wink.gifgrin.gif

Just telling that the thought they aren't worth anything is a wrong judgement...

Yeah, only a small chunck is going for big bucks, but the modern comics, specially from the late 90's to today have been showin some interest from the fans community.

(books like 30 days of night, the 1st prints minis of Strangers in Paradise, Sin City, Hellboy, Sandman, Wolverine nabisco and several other less difficult comics to get ex: Uncanny x-men 350, Fables and Y the last man n°1...show there's more hunters than preys to be hunted down...more importante, people are reading/feeling the quality of today's comics)

The few mentioned above titles have already passed the "short life" spanner syndrome you've brought up, more, they are on the "cult" side now. Heck even ultimate spidey who some non sayers cried out loud that this title would be on the 0.50cents bins 2 years after it's release, not only they didn't decreased on price, but keeps on maintaining and staying high...

Comparing the macfarlane's spidey run and the ultimate spidey title is a non sense imho. Just take a look at the printing numbers, the impact and the ramifications of each title and the medium/long therm fans support... wink.gif

In this example, the title has been out for almost 6 years, let me know how much the macfarlanes flick was worth 6 years after it's release!!!

I understand the example to ilustrate the sellers reaction of the macfarlanes and the cap. america at that time, but to use them as a way to understand what happened to the 90's fall off and what will happen to the impressive quality recover (story and art wise) of the comics from 1999 to today is more than way off, to say the least... insane.gif

regards

regards

Certainly hope not since I thought we were talking about variant covers here.

Actually, I think some of the discussion switched over to the regular USM #1, the one that regularly sells for $100. makepoint.gif

Heck even ultimate spidey who some non sayers cried out loud that this title would be on the 0.50cents bins 2 years after it's release, not only they didn't decreased on price, but keeps on maintaining and staying high...

That's not true at all, as the vast majority of USM issues have dropped in value, and many have tanked completely.

It is ONLY the very earliest issues that have escaped the downturn, and I would imagine that it's only a matter of time before market forces drive them down too.

I have a sneaking suspicion that as long as Bendis continues to be one the top writers in the biz, then his books, especially the early Ult. Spidey's, will hold their value.

On the other hand, look at Powers. A really good book, but the fan base is not there. I bought a few copies of Powers 1 and two (the first series) at the same time I picked up those Ult. Spideys, and those books are cold.

I might as well go ahead and say that Daredevil is my fave book. It's my first read when it comes out. I have to give a lot of credit to artist Alex Maleev too. He is perfect for that book.

I have a sneaking suspicion that as long as Bendis continues to be one the top writers in the biz, then his books, especially the early Ult. Spidey's, will hold their value.

On the other hand, look at Powers. A really good book, but the fan base is not there. I bought a few copies of Powers 1 and two (the first series) at the same time I picked up those Ult. Spideys, and those books are cold.

I might as well go ahead and say that Daredevil is my fave book. It's my first read when it comes out. I have to give a lot of credit to artist Alex Maleev too. He is perfect for that book.

I ABSOLUTELY agree. I bought a double-run of Daredevil, which may not have been a good investment, but his writing bona fides ought to rank his run along with anything Miller ever did, if there's any justice.

I ABSOLUTELY agree. I bought a double-run of Daredevil, which may not have been a good investment, but his writing bona fides ought to rank his run along with anything Miller ever did, if there's any justice.

I TOTALLY disagree. Bendis is way over-rated, and benefits greatly from writing on flagship titles where readership is bound to start out high (i.e., USM, DD) - and a tight relationship with the EIC. After a while, people tire of his neo-hip, cliche-ridden pap and the titles drop off (i.e., Pulse, Alias, and even the aforementioned USM and DD).

It is almost an insult that he and Bagley want to hold on to USM to beat the record of a writer/artist team working on the same Marvel title, a record held by Lee and Kirby. Hopefully sales continue to drop like a rock so that they won't get the chance.

sign-rantpost.gif

It is almost an insult that he and Bagley want to hold on to USM to beat the record of a writer/artist team working on the same Marvel title, a record held by Lee and Kirby.

So how many years is the record? 11? They've still got a long way to go...

It is almost an insult that he and Bagley want to hold on to USM to beat the record of a writer/artist team working on the same Marvel title, a record held by Lee and Kirby.

I believe they're talking # of issues, not years.

I TOTALLY disagree. Bendis is way over-rated, and benefits greatly from writing on flagship titles where readership is bound to start out high (i.e., USM, DD) - and a tight relationship with the EIC. After a while, people tire of his neo-hip, cliche-ridden pap and the titles drop off (i.e., Pulse, Alias, and even the aforementioned USM and DD).

I agree...moments of brilliance here and there with a load of mediocre in between...

It is almost an insult that he and Bagley want to hold on to USM to beat the record of a writer/artist team working on the same Marvel title, a record held by Lee and Kirby. Hopefully sales continue to drop like a rock so that they won't get the chance.

It doesn't matter in my eyes...look at the quality and innovation, on a consistent basis, and Lee/Kirby win by a huge margin...

Bendis, Bagley, and Marvel could hype their record to anyone willing to listen but at the end of the day the fans will know what true run wins out...

It's all about hype in comics these days...and unless either of the two suffers a heart attack, the Lee/Kirby record will be beat, even if assistance is needed, to hype another Marvel "milestone"...

Jim

I believe they're talking # of issues, not years.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

That's not a record, as anyone with money could start their own small press operation, and then print "stick figure" comics on a daily basis, until they got the record. Unbelieveable.

That's just pure stupidity, but then again, it is Bendis. screwy.gif

It's all about hype in comics these days...and unless either of the two suffers a heart attack, the Lee/Kirby record will be beat, even if assistance is needed, to hype another Marvel "milestone"...

They've still got 5-6 more years to go before they match Lee and Kirby's record. The number of issues means nothing, as some rich guy could print a daily vanity independent and have the record in a few months.

Then again, if Bendis and Bagley do stick around for 12 years on USM, they deserve some kudos. Otherwise, it means nothing.

JC, what does mean something to you? confused-smiley-013.gif Just curious.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Bendis and Bagley are going for the number of issues record for a Marvel published magazine. Mr. Joe Blow with a printing press or drawing stick figures wouldn't be published by a major comic publisher. screwy.gif

Then again, not even reaching 100 doesn't seem like much of a record for issues. Anyone know what the most consecutive issues record is?

I believe it was with Fantastic Four, and it was... 114 or so? Not sure. Where are the FF experts???

It's definitely Fantastic Four. Can't recall the exact #, but I'm sure it was low 100's. Maybe 108? Buscema did the art on #112.