• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeping track of your comics
1 1

7 posts in this topic

How do you keep track of the comics you have in your collection? Also, how do you keep track of the comics you want to buy? Do you use an excel spreadsheet? Write your lists down in a notebook? Trying to figure out how to keep myself organized now that I am building up my collection.  Thanks. 

I use Excel for all that.  Easy to sort.  It allows me to easily keep extensive notes on the books I have, when it's necessary, along with a range of potential value (almost all my books are raw).

I try to track current fair market value for the books I know I want to add to my collection.  I have a GPA Analysis subscription which is what I used for FMV, although it's not completely accurate as it doesn't include all sales or probably even most sales.  I try to catch some of the auction pricing for these books as well.  Most use eBay "sold" listings also.

I use Whakoom but I seem to be in a minority of one.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.5a1d6bb7301f4bf00b11dcc37ee127c6.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.daa254c3111dfba2618674ba5cd09666.jpg

Of course it is still a work in progress and I have many more boxes to open yet, but going through my stuff is half the fun. I catalogue what I aim to keep and discard the dreck. My, I'm amazed how much dreck I am uncovering. I once bought a big collection of stuff I didn't really want just to help out a friend who needed a financial boost at the time.

whak.thumb.jpg.dd4fc62b52ccc8db0573fcb661275f47.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

I do not use any online sites/programs to keep track of my collection. Back in 2015 I graded/cataloged/photographed over 2000 books in my collection. I wrote down all of the books/grades/notes using Yahoo Mail, the list is saved in "drafts" so I can edit when/if I need to, a copy is saved in a "comic book" sub-folder, in "documents" and as a PDF on a Flashdrive as a backup, along with all of the photo's and FMV for my top books. I did all of this for insurance purposes and for my children (47, 44) when I am gone to help them sell the collection.

I am sure that there are sites out there that may be easier, however, this is an example of how I did it, 

...EXTERIOR DEFECTS (FRONT AND BACK COVER)
PIECES MISSING (SIZE), DETACHED COVER (ONE OR BOTH STAPLES), CREASES/TEARS (LENGTH AND SEVERITY), CHIPPING, ANIMAL CHEW, SPINE ROLL, SPINE STRESS, STRESS LINES AND TEARS, SPINE SPLITS (LENGTH) , ROUNDED/BLUNTED/CREASED/TORN/CORNERS, COLOR BREAKS ON CREASES AND COLOR SCRAPES, STAPLES OFF CENTER/PULLED/REPLACED/RUSTED, SOILING, STAINS, MOLD, TAPE DAMAGE OR REPAIR, WRINKLING OR WATER DAMAGE, COVER COLOR BRIGHTNESS AND REFLECTIVITY.

...INTERIOR DEFECTS
TEARS, PIECES MISSING, CUT COUPONS (DOES IT AFFECT STORY OR NOT), MARVEL VALUE STAMP CUT OUT, PAGES MISSING, PAGES OR CENTERFOLD DETACHED, WRITING ON PAGES AND OWL (OVERALL WHITENESS LEVEL)

FOR MORE INFO ON GRADING SEE THE OVERSTREET COMIC BOOK GRADING GUIDE AND...

FOR PRICING AND VALUE SEE THE OVERSTREET COMIC BOOK PRICE GUIDE

...ADDITIONAL PRICING NOT IN GUIDE
POOR 0.5 = 25% OF GOOD 2.0
FAIR 1.0 = 50% OF GOOD 2.0
FAIR/GOOD 1.5 = 75% OF GOOD 2.0

...MARVEL VALUE STAMPS
MARVEL VALUE STAMPS PLACED IN SELECT ISSUES FROM 3/74 - 8/76
+ = ISSUES WITH MARVEL VALUE STAMP INTACT
< = ISSUES WITH MARVEL VALUE STAMP MISSING
(MISSING MARVEL VALUE STAMP DOES NOT AFFECT STORY UNLESS NOTED IN GRADER NOTES)
(MISSING MARVEL VALUE STAMP MAKES BOOK INCOMPLETE AND A GENERALLY A GRADE OF 2.0 WHICH IS NOT REFLECTED IN GRADED BOOKS LISTS)

NOTE
* = WITH GRADER NOTES

GRADED BOOKS...

ADVENTURES OF THE BIG BOY (1956)  (ALL ISSUES ARE COMPLETE WITHOUT WRITING UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED)
58)FN 6.0
61)FN/VF 7.0
62)FN/VF 7.0
63)VG- 3.5
64)*GD 2.0 (*WRITING ON COVER, CROSSWORD PUZZLE FILLED OUT)
65)VG 4.0
67)*FN 6.0 (*WOULD BE VF 8.0 EXCEPT FOR 1/8" TEAR AND CORNER CREASE ON REAR COVER)
68)VF 8.0
70)*VG- 3.5 (*WOULD BE FN/VF 7.0 EXCEPT FOR TEAR AND TAPE REPAIR)
73)FN/VF 7.0
74)*FR/GD 1.5 (* WOULD BE FN 6.0 EXCEPT FOR TAPE REPAIR, PIECES MISSING AND WRITING ON REAR COVER)
75)FN 6.0 (*1/4" TEAR ON FRONT EDGE OF REAR COVER, STAIN ON INSIDE OF FRONT COVER AND 1ST PAGE)
76)FN 6.0
77)*FN 6.0 (*WOULD BE VF 8.0 EXCEPT FOR 1/4" TEAR ON FRONT EDGE OF FRONT COVER)
81)*VG 4.0 (*WOULD BE VF 8.0 EXCEPT FOR TAPE REPAIR ON REAR COVER)
82)GD 2.0
88)*VG 4.0 (*WOULD BE VF+ 8.5 EXCEPT WORD PUZZLES HAVE BEEN FILLED OUT)
92)*VG 4.0 (*WOULD BE VF 8.0 EXCEPT FOR WATER DAMAGE AT BOTTOM OF BOOK)
94)FN+ 6.5
95)VF 8.0
96)*VG 4.0 (*WOULD BE VF/NM 9.0 EXCEPT FOR 1/2" TEAR ON BOTTOM EDGE AND 1/2" PIECE MISSING FROM LOWER RIGHT CORNER)
98)*VG- 3.5 (*WOULD BE VF/NM 9.0 EXCEPT FOR 1" PIECE MISSING FROM LOWER RIGHT CORNER AND VERTICAL CREASE)
99)*FN/VF 7.0 (*WOULD BE VF/NM 9.0 EXCEPT FOR LOWER CORNER CREASING STARTING ON REAR PAGES, GETS BETTER WITH EACH PAGE TOWARDS FRONT)

AMAZING ADVENTURES (1961)
1)GD 2.0
2)FR/GD 1.5
3)FR 1.0
4)FR 1.0
5)PR/FR 1.0
6)GD- 1.8

AMAZING ADULT FANTASY (1961)
7)*PR 0.5 (*REMAINDER COPY)
8)*PR 0.5 (*REMAINDER COPY)
9)*PR 0.5 (*REMAINDER COPY)
10)FR 1.0