• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack Kirby's Son Comments On New Stan Lee Documentary
3 3

331 posts in this topic

and Two, there are a few old time Silver Age fans who've followed my month by month Kirby, Ditko, Lee threads over in the Silver Age who have seen first hand in reading those stories how BAD the Stan Lee stories are when he doesn't have Kirby or Ditko writing for him. His early TTA and TOS's and ST's with Ayers and Heck are just... really lame. Seeing them side by side as they were published, has changed some people's view...

I've read all of the 1960s Marvel comics and wouldn't say that Lee/Kirby/Ditko collaborations always equaled gold and that Lee/others were lame. I enjoyed reading Lee/Romita, Lee/Heck, Lee/Everett & Lee/Lieber collaborations.

This is just my humble opinion, but the best Silver Age Marvel books are (in this order): the Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, the Avengers, and Tales of Suspense.

The worst are: The Incredible Hulk and The X-Men. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby worked together on The Incredible Hulk and it only produced 6 issues because of poor sales. X-Men went 19 issues before Roy Thomas took over.

The rest of the titles (TTA,JIM,DD,ST,SgtFury,etc.) were all decent.

On 6/21/2023 at 3:28 PM, seredynskib said:

I've read all of the 1960s Marvel comics and wouldn't say that Lee/Kirby/Ditko collaborations always equaled gold and that Lee/others were lame. I enjoyed reading Lee/Romita, Lee/Heck, Lee/Everett & Lee/Lieber collaborations.

This is just my humble opinion, but the best Silver Age Marvel books are (in this order): the Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, the Avengers, and Tales of Suspense.

The worst are: The Incredible Hulk and The X-Men. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby worked together on The Incredible Hulk and it only produced 6 issues because of poor sales. X-Men went 19 issues before Roy Thomas took over.

The rest of the titles (TTA,JIM,DD,ST,SgtFury,etc.) were all decent.

It's all subjective...

1963 is where we're at, so Romita isn't even around yet. He hasn't done anything with Everett yet. The stories we've read in 1963 that aren't with Kirby or Ditko, contrast pretty harshly. Kirby is still doing the Avengers. 

I'm sure you're aware of why the Incredible Hulk series was so bad and X-Men is still only on issue #3. Daredevil hasn't even started. 

On 6/21/2023 at 8:10 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

This. There's literally no Marvel without Kirby going back. As much as I genuinely like Patsy Walker, etc., Marvel would have continued with genre stuff if Kirby wasn't there to rehash his Challengers of the Unknown, Thor, mutation ideas that he had been doing throughout the fifties. 

Kirby generated the bulk of all of the concepts, characters, storytelling. Try looking at the Strange Tales starring the Torch when Lee relied on MR. Ayers to generate and plot things. Why are the stories so vastly different than the stories that Jack is drawing? There you are.

Never forget: one guy goes off to create the FOURTH WORLD. One guy goes off to "create" NHL Hockey Heroes that literally bankrupted a company.

Jim Shooter said in his Comic Book Historians interview that he plotted one of Stan's 60s' SILVER SURFER issues. 

Roy Thomas said he ghost wrote Stan's Spider-Man strip for over twenty years- Salicrup ghost wrote it before that- Shooter ghost wrote it before that.

Alan Kupperberg said Danny Fingeroth ghost wrote Ravage 2099.

Ed Piskor said someone ghost wrote all of Stan Lee's introductions to your beloved Marvel Masterworks collections. Sorry frantic ones.

I include all that just to stress- that if someone is the "Shakespeare" of comics and a natural idea generator, a natural story man, a CREATOR...

... why did he need so much help? 

Yep.

On 6/20/2023 at 9:06 PM, Prince Namor said:

No one makes these arguments for Bob Kane.

I think there’s an understanding that the situation is basically very similar for him, if more limited.

One major character, not so many at once, and no complex about being the saviour of a company.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/22/2023 at 7:03 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I think there’s an understanding that the situation is basically very similar for him, if more limited.

One major character, not so many at once, and no complex about being the saviour of a company.

For sure.

And yet, that anger at Kane is razor focused.

At Lee, not so much. 

That pompous blow-hard Jim Steranko brags about 'person_without_enough_empathy-slapping' Bob Kane... this story cracks me up, as it... could just as easily be about Stan!

from Steranko's Twitter:

"I'd hadn't encountered Kane in my travels, but at one rockin' SDCC, an associate asked me if I wanted to meet him, and walked me into a hallway. There he was, in a small group of people, wearing patent-leather shoes--and an ASCOT, like he was Vitamin f******g Flintheart in a MR. Tracy cartoon. For years, I'd heard how he'd taken credit for Bill Finger's contributions (in addition to half his pay)..."

:shiftyeyes:

"...and other despicable tales from his associates..."

hm

"...But nothing aces an in-person encounter. We were introduced and Kane began talking about my Batman chapter in the HISTORY OF COMICS, which treated him--and everyone else--very respectfully. He felt I credited Robinson & Finger (both of whom I knew intimately) too much. Kane (aka Kahn) was beyond pretentious, an intolerable as pompous as they come. I bit my tongue while he regaled us with his many achievements."

lol

"...The group was waiting for an elevator, which they stepped into when the door opened. Our conversation ended, but not before he said: "See you later, Jim, baby," and cuffed me across the face--like some rat-pack street gesture he'd seen in some cheap flick. The doors closed... "

(Well that's one thing Stan would've never did!)

"...That night, I couldn't sleep and the next morning began combing the halls for his Bat Majesty. Around noon, I found him. In another group, which I walked into. "Good to see you, Bob, baby!" I said, then person_without_enough_empathy-slapped him across the face."

"But this time, there was no elevator door closing between us. I stood there for about 15 seconds, waiting. He did nothing. I turned and left. But I regret it now. I regret that he didn't do anything about it, even though he was at least a head taller than me. I wouldn't have minded bleeding at all for one more opportunity to give Kane the kind of Bat Lesson that Finger, Robinson, Sprang and others only dreamed of."

(Full disclosure - I got into it with Steranko on his 'Twitter' group posting, over... well, Stan Lee. As I presented him with facts, he told me the usual silly line, "You weren't there, I (he) was!" And I replied, "you weren't there in 1962"... ha ha... that didn't go over so well. 

Anyway, in rehashing this, the part were Steranko wrote, "We were introduced and Kane began talking about my Batman chapter in the HISTORY OF COMICS, which treated him--and everyone else--very respectfully. He felt I credited Robinson & Finger (both of whom I knew intimately) too much."

That reminded me of a Stan Lee story...

Don Thompson of (CBG fame) had written in 'All in Color for a Dime' how Steve Ditko was the creator of Spider-man, and Stan took big umbrage with it. He contacted Don and told him HE was the SOLE CREATOR of Spider-man. And Don, being Don wrote the following in his New Fangles #42 (Dec, 1970)... and Stan, being Stan, did the following in the credits of ASM #100:

It's not a 'physical' b---h slap by Stan, but rather a literary one. 

322486751_1854734888219695_137148496295455715_n.jpg

320935112_904371547596799_8254378623329937193_n.jpg

On 6/22/2023 at 8:04 AM, Prince Namor said:

because they will spend to relive the childhood memories of Stan 'the Man'

Journalist Robin Green, who succeeded Steinberg at Marvel in 1968, wrote in Rolling Stone:

It was three years ago that I went to work at Marvel Comics. I replaced Flo, whose place I really couldn't take. Fabulous Flo Steinberg, as she was known to her public, was as much an institution in Marvel's Second Golden Age as Editor Stan (The Man) Lee himself. She joined Marvel just after Stan had revolutionized the comic industry by giving his characters dimension, character, and personality, and just as Marvel was catching on big.[15]

Marvel's only staffers at that time were Lee and Steinberg herself, with the rest of the work handled freelance.[9] De facto production manager Sol Brodsky "would come in and set up an extra little drawing board where he would do the paste-ups and mechanicals for the ads," Steinberg said.[10] She recalled that the "first real Bullpen" — the roomful of artists at drawing boards making corrections, preparing art for printing, and, as envisioned later within Marvel's letter pages and "Bullpen Bulletins", a mythologized clubhouse in which the likes of Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Don Heck and others would be found kibitzing — was created when Marvel moved downtown a few buildings from 655 Madison Avenue to 635 Madison Avenue. "Stan finally had his own office. There was a big space with windows where I was, and Sol Brodsky, now on staff, had his own desk".[10] She said that at the time, "[Y]ou were lucky to make $60 a week starting ... and Stan offered me $65, which was a big incentive to sign on!".[11]

Edited by jimjum12

Does this really matter though (who created what) because everyone involved was working for the parent company (Marvel) at the time?  Doesn't the company receive profits from sales, or do the writers/publisher/artists receive a commission based on sales?  

On 6/22/2023 at 9:53 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Btw met Stan Lee twice in his prime. Very friendly man and could see why he got to the top, but when we opened those books it was the artists that took us to another level, not the dialogue. 

Er, no. It was both for me. I would always be looking forward to the next ish!!  Truth be told, back in the day I got a bit bored with Kirby's artwork after a while and, there were soo many other great artists to enjoy.

Edited by mrc
edit

Thomas hitched his wagon to the Lee history of the MCU, claiming their rights and billing himself as a renowned comics historian who was there and would know better than anyone who wasn't. He continued the pro-Lee narrative with contributions for Taschen and the Folio Society. I barely saw mention of him with the archival footage when he arrived at Marvel, but didn't see the end credits mention him having any direct involvement.

How remarkably prescient Kirby's Funky Flashman was about the outcome of Lee's legacy. Funky throwing Houseroy at the attackers and jumping out the window while the home he inherited explodes is a pastiche bringing to life a documentary of an amoral, mean-spirited, phony capitalist with his toupee and fake beard walking away for another day with undeserved exclusive creator credit.

Edited by comicwiz