• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don’t change CGC card labels
2 2

28 posts in this topic

When the label was updated, I got really into CGC for my Pokemon stuff. The higher grading standards. The BLUE label. The optional subgrades I'd like for high grades and certain collections. Crossing 9.5s and the value they create in the market. The sheer rarity of Pristine and Perfect 10s and their unique scale among grading companies. Everything I need CGC for, they want to change. I'm incredibly disappointed.

Setting aside the label cosmetics for a moment, my impression is that the changes to the grading scale will benefit dealers and sellers more than collectors such as myself who primarily buy.

A “gem mint” is a “gem mint” regardless if it’s labeled a “9.5” or a “10,” but psychologically the “10” designation will certainly be more attractive, and sellers will feel justified in charging higher prices. I have already witnessed the prices of some CGC 9.5 cards suddenly get marked up by 10%, 20%, or more since CGC announced that these will now be considered Gem Mint 10’s. I’ve also heard anecdotes from sellers claiming that they’ve recently sold tons more 9.5’s in anticipation of the upcoming change to 10’s. 

Perhaps this is what CGC intended when it introduced the “market-friendly Gem Mint 10 scale.”  I imagine that dealers who submit hundreds or thousands of cards make up the bulk of CGC’s business, not individual collectors like me. If the dealers can sell their gem mint cards in higher volume and at higher prices by calling them “10” instead of “9.5,” then perhaps they will be more willing to choose CGC over the other grading companies. 

Sure, perhaps my current 9.5’s could also fetch a higher price as 10’s if I ever decide to sell them. But in the meantime I’ll probably have to pay more for them to begin with. 

I'm really sad to see this thread. I just sent in my first ever card to be graded and I specifily went with CGC becuase of the blue grading label. I think it looks the best vs PSA and Beckett. They really should update their marketing materials becuase every picture on the website references the blue label. Do you think there is any chance they have some blues labels left if i requested it?

On 7/14/2023 at 2:15 PM, Littlejoe21 said:

I'm really sad to see this thread. I just sent in my first ever card to be graded and I specifily went with CGC becuase of the blue grading label. I think it looks the best vs PSA and Beckett. They really should update their marketing materials becuase every picture on the website references the blue label. Do you think there is any chance they have some blues labels left if i requested it?

I don't think there is a single image left on the Cards website with the blue label, and the new label has been all over their social media for 4 weeks or so now.

If you completed your submission form before 7/10 you can still get the blue label if you let customer service know. Otherwise you will only be able to get the new label from now on

Edited by SnorlaxCollective

Most of the blue labels I was seeing on the main website. You are right the cards website does have the black label everywhere. My submission was on 7/9. I reached out to customer service let’s hope they can do the blue label still :)