• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adam’s First Cover?

18 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2023 at 3:19 PM, sfcityduck said:

Neal Adams first interior work for a comic publisher was for MLJ in 1960.  That's a very neat item.

But Neal Adams is a strong contender for the greatest comic cover artist of all time. So what was his first cover?

In November 1960, Adams worked on the promo comic "I Am the Guard" promoting the U.S. Coast Guard. CGC has deemed it the first Adams cover, but not GCD or OPG or Mycomicshop. CGC has clearly got this wrong. Here's the cover of the comic:

"I Am The Guard" ultra-rare 1960 Neal Adams National Guard giveaway promotional - Picture 1 of 10

Does this look like Neal Adams?  No.  Look at the Heath style cross-hatching in the top two panels, lack of detail, rough and akward posing, and the randomly applied inking.  There's nothing Adams about this cover.  Ironically, mycomicshop notes this book is the first comic work by Adams in his own distinctive style because his prior work was done in the MLJ house style.  They are right about the Adams art in the interior of that book. But this cover looks like the non-Adams art in the interior:

"I Am The Guard" ultra-rare 1960 Neal Adams National Guard giveaway promotional - Picture 4 of 10

GCD does not attribute the cover to Adams. And any doubt that the cover is not  Adams is eliminated when you contrast it with the interior story which was by Adams:

"I Am The Guard" ultra-rare 1960 Neal Adams National Guard giveaway promotional - Picture 8 of 10

The bottom triangular panel on the cover relates to Adams' story in the interior.  But the level of detail in that bottom third of the cover is a shadow of Adams' interior art.  The instrument panel on the cover looks nothing like the detailed panel in Adams' interior, nor to the MiGs which have completely different tails. The cover and the interior are by two different artists.

image.png.80a3c2c572c62c51ed159d05be7e16f5.png

The next contender for first cover by Neal Adams came out six months later in May 1961 for a promo comic that GCD doesn't even list -  Adventure in LeatherAdventure in Leather appeared on a checklist on Adams' own website. And the cover art clearly looks like Adams style, albeit early:

CGC3868515-001_OBV(1).thumb.jpg.214edf357df63b0d418ac6d01a7a4b16.jpg

CGC3868515-001_REV(1).thumb.jpg.39285b3fdf27775ec52ec644ceac8f82.jpg

The art on the cover is consistent with the Adams art in the interior:

Neal Adams 1960s silver age tandy giveaway comic book page - Adventures in Leather

There should be no doubt that Adventure in Leather, not I am the Guard, is Adam’s’ first cover.

Not sure how CGC got this so wrong.

I have a copy of this and when I was at the Tidewater Comic Con a few years ago, I asked Neal about it. He told me he was fairly certain he was 19 years old when he did that job. I also got him to sign a copy of GL/GA 86 :cloud9: I had a dealer's pass and I was there early, before it opened. I think I chatted with him for a half hour or so. He'll always be one of my heroes. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/27/2023 at 12:00 PM, jimjum12 said:

I have a copy of this and when I was at the Tidewater Comic Con a few years ago, I asked Neal about it. He told me he was fairly certain he was 19 years old when he did that job. I also got him to sign a copy of GL/GA 86 :cloud9: I had a dealer's pass and I was there early, before it opened. I think I chatted with him for a half hour or so. He'll always be one of my heroes. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Neal was 19 when he did both I am the Guard and Adventure in Leather.  But unlike Adventure in Leather, I am the Guard was not solely Neal Adams art. The cover does not look like the Adams art in the interior, it looks like the non-Adams artist.  So I think it is a misattribution to say I am the Guard is an Adams cover. I am the Guard is significant because its his first art in his own style (not MLJ style).  Important book.  Just not the first cover or entirely by Neal.  

On 7/22/2023 at 1:22 AM, OtherEric said:

How rare is the "I am the Guard" book?  My LCS has a copy, trying to decide if I want to pay what he's asking.

It’s pretty rare. What are they asking and what’s the condition? Sometimes shops let their books get sun-faded…

On 7/22/2023 at 3:49 PM, OtherEric said:

It's not in the window.  $120.

I think its an under appreciated book.  It has Neal Adams first comic art in his own iconic style. It's not his first cover, but so what?  That interior art is fantastic!  A definite must for someone collecting Adams. 

On 7/22/2023 at 5:09 PM, sfcityduck said:

I think its an under appreciated book.  It has Neal Adams first comic art in his own iconic style. It's not his first cover, but so what?  That interior art is fantastic!  A definite must for someone collecting Adams. 

I went ahead and asked the store to hold it for me.  Now I need to decide if I'll crack it or not.

On 7/22/2023 at 10:15 PM, sfcityduck said:

Full interiors are posted online, so you can read it without cracking it out.  

Do you know where?  I couldn't find it when I looked earlier, and since it was produced for the government it should be public domain.

On 7/22/2023 at 10:18 PM, OtherEric said:

Do you know where?  I couldn't find it when I looked earlier, and since it was produced for the government it should be public domain.

I am the Guard: the story of the National Guard from muskets to missiles - Government Comics Collection (unl.edu)