• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. Doom did they ever show his face

32 posts in this topic

I have the original of that but I want to see his face after the incident not before.

FF Annual 2 shows his origin. From childhood in Latvaria to his days as Reed Richards college roommate and the accident that scarred him for life.

It was reprinted recently in Marvel Milestones.

f7_1_b.JPG

If memory serves, I believe in Doom 2099 # 1 you see his face but it looks normal, ie. no scarring. In the story it's the current Marvel universe Doom transported to the year 2099. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Marvel has shown several different faces of Doom over the years. Each time a new plot is needed they create a different version of his face.

They have shown it scarred and deformed and they have shown it unscarred. This does not include the various alternate universe unmaskings of Doom, like What-If or 2099.

They showed his face, IIRC, in the Doom/Strange: Triumph and Torment.

It was barely scarred, yet he thought it made him grotesquely deformed. I always liked that take better than the other. I believe that Byrne used this interpretation as well. I could be wrong though.

They showed his face, IIRC, in the Doom/Strange: Triumph and Torment.

It was barely scarred, yet he thought it made him grotesquely deformed. I always liked that take better than the other. I believe that Byrne used this interpretation as well. I could be wrong though.

This is the version that i go along with as it was the one that always made the most sense to me as it fits perfectly with a psyche such as Von Doom's. Even the smallest scratch, which he felt was due to the fumblings of an inferior (Richards) was something that he could not tolerate. If you go back to the old Lee/Kirby stories, Doom has always made it clear that he is too good to be touched and to do so would mean almost certain death. However, the damage done to his face when the red hot face plate was put into place is another can of worms altogether. I feel that he was only scratched by the explosion, but the true damage was done when the face plate was placed on him by the monks, but in his mind he was already horribly scarred due to Reed Richards.

found on the web, take it for what it's worth:

For the first twenty years or so, the canon was explicit in the idea that Victor von Doom's college accident disfigured his face horribly. Curiously, this is most clearly shown in an issue of The Mighty Thor--# 182 (Nov., 1970)--when Thor concocts a plan to infiltrate Latveria by publishing a false story that Dr. Donald Blake has perfected a technique for restoring facial features regardless of the degree of disfigurement. As planned, this motivates Dr. Doom to have Dr. Blake abducted and taken to Latveria.

Even though it was merely a lure to invite Doom's action, Blake's medical curiosity is aroused and he maintains the pretext of a cure long enough for Doom to reveal his face to him. Blake's reaction and dialogue make it clear that Doom's visage is genuinely horrible.

Then, in the early 1980's, certain Marvel writers began to toy with the notion that Doom had simply received a small scar from his college accident; however, the villain's tremendous ego could not tolerate anything short of perfection in his features. (This was hardly an original idea; an early 1970's story in Batman or Detective Comics pit the Masked Manhunter against a serial killer who disfigured his victims, and this killer was a handsome man who was sent over the edge when he could not accept the infliction of a small scar.)

Since too many older stories definitively established that Doom's face actually was disfigured, the "small scar" theory had to be reconciled by rewriting the source of Doom's terrible mutilation as the donning of the red-hot face mask to his armour, rather than the college accident (which, in the fresh history, had resulted in the slight scar).

link

news.gif That Batman story was from Batman Family #17 from 1978 or 79. Up until now, I thought that was a swipe by Gerry Conway from the Dr. Doom origin instead of the other way around! crazy.gif

For the first twenty years or so, the canon was explicit in the idea that Victor von Doom's college accident disfigured his face horribly. Curiously, this is most clearly shown in an issue of The Mighty Thor--# 182 (Nov., 1970)--when Thor concocts a plan to infiltrate Latveria by publishing a false story that Dr. Donald Blake has perfected a technique for restoring facial features regardless of the degree of disfigurement. As planned, this motivates Dr. Doom to have Dr. Blake abducted and taken to Latveria.

Even though it was merely a lure to invite Doom's action, Blake's medical curiosity is aroused and he maintains the pretext of a cure long enough for Doom to reveal his face to him. Blake's reaction and dialogue make it clear that Doom's visage is genuinely horrible.

Then, in the early 1980's, certain Marvel writers began to toy with the notion that Doom had simply received a small scar from his college accident; however, the villain's tremendous ego could not tolerate anything short of perfection in his features. (This was hardly an original idea; an early 1970's story in Batman or Detective Comics pit the Masked Manhunter against a serial killer who disfigured his victims, and this killer was a handsome man who was sent over the edge when he could not accept the infliction of a small scar.)

Since too many older stories definitively established that Doom's face actually was disfigured, the "small scar" theory had to be reconciled by rewriting the source of Doom's terrible mutilation as the donning of the red-hot face mask to his armour, rather than the college accident (which, in the fresh history, had resulted in the slight scar).

link

thats funny! I mean Why would they put a molten hot mask on his face? im sure Doom was in a big hurry and they were scared to say 'no', but seriously! You just say its not ready yet!

link

This was the subject of a big argument between Lee and Kirby. When they did the origin in the FF annual, Jack wanted to go with the tiny scratch but Stan didn't like the idea. This story is very well known and it sounds like latter writers have picked up on it.

Jack was right that the scar was a much better, and far more subtle but powerful comment on Dooms character and ego. But, Stan realized that it was unnecessary then to be SO avant-garde, so literary, so (still searching for the right word) so academic? as to NEED such a stroke of brilliance to sell what was (and is) a comic book villain, who, by definition, is mad and egocentric enough to try to take over the world.

Getting freaked out by a scar would make him angry but you'd have to have been insane already to get THAT angry about it. But having your entire face melt off would DEFINITELY make you angry enough to kill your enemies AND take over the world...the damage made Doom "insane"

something like that.

Obviously you've never lived with a perfectionist. Something as simple as your shoes being out of place would set them off on a 20min passionate speech about responsibility. That said; if Doom was both egotistical AND a perfectionist, something as simple as a scar would be traumatizing enough to set him off. The "taken over the world and screwing his enemies" was something he'd always planned to do from the get go. The scar just allowed him to take those first initial steps. But obviously I like the minor scar theory better as it just shows much more depth into a egomaniac character.

That’s just my two cents.

Jack was right that the scar was a much better, and far more subtle but powerful comment on Dooms character and ego. But, Stan realized that it was unnecessary then to be SO avant-garde, so literary, so (still searching for the right word) so academic? as to NEED such a stroke of brilliance to sell what was (and is) a comic book villain, who, by definition, is mad and egocentric enough to try to take over the world.

Getting freaked out by a scar would make him angry but you'd have to have been insane already to get THAT angry about it. But having your entire face melt off would DEFINITELY make you angry enough to kill your enemies AND take over the world...the damage made Doom "insane"

something like that.

i agree one hundred percent.

sincerely,

lex luthor