• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THERE AND BACK AGAIN: A Collectors Tale

98 posts in this topic

One of the things that has always crossed my mind is

When the character "Black Panther' was created how hard of a sell was this

for the head of Marvel at the time?

A Black Super Hero that is called "the Black Panther"

I mean even though the charcater doesn't have anything to do with the Racist Group

I bet this charcaer had to be a hard sell.

Just as hard as if they trying to push a white character

called the Grand Wizard Klansman?...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I mean even though the charcater doesn't have anything to do with the Racist Group

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought the character was created before the Panther group started getting recognized. Later on the Character feels bothered by the group in later issues of FF (early 1970's....I forget the issue) and started referring to himself as the Black Leopard. This was his way of distancing himself from the group of the same name.

This didn't last long, and he went back to the name panther.

I bet this charcaer had to be a hard sell.

Just as hard as if they trying to push a white character

called the Grand Wizard Klansman?...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Or what about having a black character in series called Jungle Action - I am surprised no one complained about that or there was no hard sell at Marvel. Today, even though it is a completely innocent title, the politically correct police would be all over it.

These comics were just well loved...well read...and survived many a car trip all over the country to help me pass the time (with nary a bag or board in sight).

Man, does THAT bring back memories. Early 1970s summer vacations -- 2 weeks in an Oldsmobile family truckster station wagon towing my uncle's pop-up camper, me usually in the third seat with one of my sisters, or if dad used the top-mount clamshell for the luggage, I'd actually lay in the space between the back of the third seat the the back gate. A cross-country car trip spent reading a big stack of comics and Famous Monsters of Filmland magazines over and over again. cloud9.gif

Ah the memories: using an empty 5-pound Folger's Coffee can as the emergency portapotty because my dad refused to stop every time one of us four kids needed to use the bathroom, never at the same time. We stopped for 3 things, dammit: gasoline, food, and vomiting (fortunately the latter was rare -- though it did require stopping -- but the first two were often combined into one stop!).

But I digress. That stack of comics and monster mags got me through a lot of cross-country trips, from the heart of Ilinois farmland to Cape Cod or California, or Disneyworld, Florida (when it was just opening up), to Dinosaur National Park at the Colorado/Utah border. What could be a better vacation for a kid than a long car ride reading comics AND getting to go to Dinosaur National Park? yay.gif

"Or what about having a black character in series called Jungle Action - I am surprised no one complained about that or there was no hard sell at Marvel. Today, even though it is a completely innocent title, the politically correct police would be all over it."

Huh? A lot of the stories were set in the jungle, so what's wrong with the title? It's not like he's fighting gangs in Harlem and they call it Jungle Action, that might be offensive.

Huh? A lot of the stories were set in the jungle, so what's wrong with the title? It's not like he's fighting gangs in Harlem and they call it Jungle Action, that might be offensive.

I totally agree it is not offensive - I never said it was. There are some loons who would make some correlation between a black character whose name is Black Panther ( the name of a racist black power group) being put in a comic book whose title is Jungle Action. I bet Farakhan would think this.