• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Spider-Woman 32—MJs, poorly packed for shipping
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Well, I am sharing some disappointment in this PGM. This particular cover of SW is a favorite of mine, so when I saw a nice looking copy for <$20 with a MJ insert, I jumped. When it arrived, the back cover was folded back on itself in the bag. It wasn't like that in the listing photo & the seller thinks his employee messed up getting it shipped. I got most of my money back, but it's sad to irreparably damage a variant that's hard to come by in higher grade. It's not a bend either, it's a hard crease where it would take more than a miracle for pressing to fix it. I think the photos show it well, but it runs from the TRBC all the way through the LEGO car to the edge near "We". I noticed on reexamination, there is also an apparent printers crease below the text box.

😭

PXL_20230626_020950583.jpg

PXL_20230626_020959897.jpg

PXL_20230626_021013101.jpg

PXL_20230626_021044619.jpg

PXL_20230626_021100769.jpg

You’d probably know better than I would, but I could see CGC being slightly lenient considering it’s back cover and a mostly white area. I’d like to think it wouldn’t grade as harshly as a subscription crease that broke color. Optimistically 6.5/7.0? I’m still not super confident grading big singular defects like this.

Definitely a bummer about that. I had a dropped package recently that damaged all eight books—nothing near as rare as MJs but a couple are tricky to find in higher grades, so I empathize.

That said—that cover is sick! I’ve never seen it before, but the b&w photos with the purple background is very cool.

Edited by Nsschenks

On 6/26/2023 at 1:52 AM, Nsschenks said:

kind of bizarre that happened

Yeah, IDK. I can't remember which way it came out of the bag b/c I wasn't paying much attention and then realized the thing was creased *and* it was folded over in the bag. Even if the crease was pre-existing, who loads a comic in a bag with the world's largest dog ear? I've checked the photos a couple of times, and I'm 99% sure it wasn't creased when photographed/sold. My worst shipping story was the pretty sharp looking copy of Mighty World of Marvel 198 I found that the mail services claimed was destroyed somewhere before it made it across the Atlantic. I got my $ back, not sure what the seller got as compensation, but another item where disappearance from existence is quite unfortunate. All you need to get a copy of Hulk 181 is enough $$$ to burn. The MWM198 isn't nearly as expensive, but you have to be patient enough to find a decent looking copy first. My X-Men 96 came back a 7.0 with a crease on the back cover no more than 25% the length of this one. It had a light printers crease too, but I don't think that was a major factor in the grade. I have a newsstand of this Spider-Woman signed by Frank Miller that came back an 8.0 due to a small back cover stain. I was thinking this MJ copy could be a future replacement grading a little better, and being unique to boot. Alas, that isn't going to happen with this book any longer.

I once made an ebay purchase of a modern book that I immediately sent in for grading without really scrutinizing the book. (I know I know... it was a big mistake that I learned from) anyhow, it turns out the book had a very similarly sized fold to the back cover. Other than that defect it was a very strong 9.8 candidate and it came back a 7.5

On 6/26/2023 at 9:32 AM, scburdet said:

Yeah, IDK. I can't remember which way it came out of the bag b/c I wasn't paying much attention and then realized the thing was creased *and* it was folded over in the bag. Even if the crease was pre-existing, who loads a comic in a bag with the world's largest dog ear? I've checked the photos a couple of times, and I'm 99% sure it wasn't creased when photographed/sold. My worst shipping story was the pretty sharp looking copy of Mighty World of Marvel 198 I found that the mail services claimed was destroyed somewhere before it made it across the Atlantic. I got my $ back, not sure what the seller got as compensation, but another item where disappearance from existence is quite unfortunate. All you need to get a copy of Hulk 181 is enough $$$ to burn. The MWM198 isn't nearly as expensive, but you have to be patient enough to find a decent looking copy first. My X-Men 96 came back a 7.0 with a crease on the back cover no more than 25% the length of this one. It had a light printers crease too, but I don't think that was a major factor in the grade. I have a newsstand of this Spider-Woman signed by Frank Miller that came back an 8.0 due to a small back cover stain. I was thinking this MJ copy could be a future replacement grading a little better, and being unique to boot. Alas, that isn't going to happen with this book any longer.

Oof, yeah it especially hurts on the uncommon books that you really have to be patient about finding. I've had good luck with shipping (so far), and if I had to pick ONE shipment I didn't want damaged, it would have been this one. Got it returned and got my money back and tried to help the seller file a claim (which probably won't be accepted, sadly), but it still sucked. Everyone loses in these situations.

That said, the book will be cool to have and display (and will look very good), slabbed or not. Looks solid 9.0 from the front, and the printer crease doesn't really show that much, imo.