• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TCBS Toronto Comic Book Show Brief Report
1 1

55 posts in this topic

Another two things from me being maybe the only guy from the US to attend…

1. If you are in or near Detroit, Buffalo/Niagara Falls, Montreal, Hamilton, Cleveland, or anywhere within 4-5 hours of the show, go at least once. In Canada, I would even say maybe 6-7 hours, since you don’t have to cross the border. I stayed at the hotel the show is at, and it’s a weird area for a hotel, but the rooms are very nice and it’s not expensive. It’s north of the 401 so you don’t have to deal with downtown Toronto unless you want to. Honestly, if you haven’t been to Toronto, it’s a great city to visit. This is especially true in the summer.

2. Something that was very prominent at this show was dealers having boxes  labeled “Wall Books” maybe this has been common for a while, but I haven’t really noticed it like this show. I bring this up, because it wasn’t an exaggeration. Guardian had a really nice Sub Mariner 1 and 5 in theirs (among many others) and others had nice books up to $900 Canadian or more in these. There were some questionable ones too, but definitely some good keys.

On 6/27/2023 at 9:42 AM, electricprune said:

1. If you are in or near Detroit, Buffalo/Niagara Falls, Montreal, Hamilton, Cleveland, or anywhere within 4-5 hours of the show, go at least once. In Canada, I would even say maybe 6-7 hours, since you don’t have to cross the border. I stayed at the hotel the show is at, and it’s a weird area for a hotel, but the rooms are very nice and it’s not expensive. It’s north of the 401 so you don’t have to deal with downtown Toronto unless you want to. Honestly, if you haven’t been to Toronto, it’s a great city to visit. This is especially true in the summer.

2. Something that was very prominent at this show was dealers having boxes  labeled “Wall Books” maybe this has been common for a while, but I haven’t really noticed it like this show. I bring this up, because it wasn’t an exaggeration. Guardian had a really nice Sub Mariner 1 and 5 in theirs (among many others) and others had nice books up to $900 Canadian or more in these. There were some questionable ones too, but definitely some good keys.

Do they still require vaccination papers?

On 6/27/2023 at 9:46 AM, electricprune said:
On 6/27/2023 at 9:44 AM, lizards2 said:

Do they still require vaccination papers?

Nope. It was a tad slow getting in to Canada, but really easy getting back into the US.

Cool - maybe I'll think about going there again.

Thank you for the report.  

Exciting to see a show where they appear to actually be selling comics.  I have given up on a lot of shows (like NY) because the number of comic dealers are far outnumbered by those selling other items.  

This looks like a fun show. 

On 6/27/2023 at 12:42 PM, electricprune said:

I've always been interested in going but I've heard the prices are pretty extreme across the border even when you factor in the currency conversion.  The info I've gotten is the prices for books even in the boxes are much cheaper at Cons like Heroes or Baltimore which has deals aplenty.  What is your thought about this?

On 6/27/2023 at 1:13 PM, 1Cool said:

I've always been interested in going but I've heard the prices are pretty extreme across the border even when you factor in the currency conversion.  The info I've gotten is the prices for books even in the boxes are much cheaper at Cons like Heroes or Baltimore which has deals aplenty.  What is your thought about this?

I believe there is some truth to that, yes. But there are still fair prices and many dealers whose stock you’ve likely never looked through before. And everyone seemed to be willing to deal.

On 6/27/2023 at 10:42 AM, electricprune said:

I was just in TO for work last week.  Oh well... next time.

On 6/27/2023 at 12:54 PM, Iceman399 said:

I'd love a new listing lol houses have def fallen here though (still not affordable but...) 

Cheaper than my parts.