• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF # 1 CGC 8.0 and a nice run from # 2-16 on ebay...

40 posts in this topic

Great run of books. Any odds on whether the # 1 meets reserve?

Great FF run on ebay

Wow, those are some sweet sweet books! You looking at any Jive? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah...not likely. I placed a few tracking bids (which didn't meet reserve), and am content to watch what happens from the sidelines.

Any odds on whether the # 1 meets reserve?

Not sure if it'll get $24,000. It'll be close.

Any idea why the CGC 7.5 Fantastic Four 1 on Pedigree is not attracting much interest? It has been up for a while. It looks a great book. Is there such a big difference between a 7.5 and an 8.0?

Alan (UK)

Any idea why the CGC 7.5 Fantastic Four 1 on Pedigree is not attracting much interest? It has been up for a while. It looks a great book. Is there such a big difference between a 7.5 and an 8.0?

Alan (UK)

Yes, there is, but not so much in reality as in perception.

8.0 and above is largely regarded as "high grade" especially on really pricey books. 7.5 is essentially the top end of Mid-grade for most collectors, and when you get into the $10K+ range, its a tough grade to move. It would probably sell in the $11-12K range pretty easily, but $17k is out of the question, especially in this soft market.

What does that make now, between Comiclink, Pedigree, and eBay...3 seperate 7.5-8.0 unrestored FF # 1s up for sale at the same time?

Alan (UK)

8.0 and above is largely regarded as "high grade" especially on really pricey books. 7.5 is essentially the top end of Mid-grade for most collectors, and when you get into the $10K+ range, its a tough grade to move. It would probably sell in the $11-12K range pretty easily, but $17k is out of the question, especially in this soft market.

What does that make now, between Comiclink, Pedigree, and eBay...3 seperate 7.5-8.0 unrestored FF # 1s up for sale at the same time?

Ouch, I didn't think about the other FF #1's. That will certainly drive the price down for this one. foreheadslap.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Alan (UK)

I agree with everything you said.

I would also point out that Cream to Off-White Pages is still a major negative on a book like this. Once again, if I'm going to shell out big bucks for a key book (unless it's GA), I want no negatives which means, nice cut, no arrival dates (unless from a pedigree like White Mountain) and especially, no Cream to Off-White pages.

I still don't get it. Why the strong need and desire for something better than cream to off-white?

Because a comic book is not just a front and back cover, but a bunch of pages with story and art in between a front and back cover. Also, the collectible is the comic book, and not the slab. makepoint.gif

As a collectible it can be argued that the whiteness of the interior pages and richness of their colors are at least as important as the whiteness and color preservation of the covers. Moreover, it is often the case that books with well-preserved interior colors have outstanding whiteness and color preservation on their covers as well. When not buying a book in person, the page quality can provide an important clue as to the color quality of the covers.

I still don't get it. Why the strong need and desire for something better than cream to off-white?

Because a comic book is not just a front and back cover, but a bunch of pages with story and art in between a front and back cover. Also, the collectible is the comic book, and not the slab. makepoint.gif

As a collectible it can be argued that the whiteness of the interior pages and richness of their colors are at least as important as the whiteness and color preservation of the covers. Moreover, it is often the case that books with well-preserved interior colors have outstanding whiteness and color preservation on their covers as well. When not buying a book in person, the page quality can provide an important clue as to the color quality of the covers.

A comic book is not just a cover. But when concerning the use the book will see when in thr hands of most collectors is may as well be a cover. They will not read the book. You say the collectability is in the book...I agree, but nonetheless nobody will be reading this book. The page quality is basically a useless value to collectors when the book is in a slab. You can have rich colors even with cream to off-white pages.

I still don't get it. Why the strong need and desire for something better than cream to off-white? Unless you plan to crack the slab and read the book, the page quality is pretty meaningless. You don't plan to read it do you? 27_laughing.gif

Well, on a white cover book like FF 1, more important to me than the PQ is the amount of tanning on the cover, but I suppose what Steve is indirectly saying is that most C-OW books have cover tanning which is more easily seen on a white cover book.