• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate Spider-Man by Mark Bagley

30 posts in this topic

I'm curious to know, how many times has this Bagley cover come to auction?

Mark Bagley and Matt Banning (as Batt - inked after publication) | LotID #59004 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

This one: Mark Bagley and Matt Banning (as Batt - inked after publication) | Lot #95016 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

I won, but later cancelled because I found out the inks were done after publication. It was later auctioned off again at half the price. 

I had deep pockets back then; glad I dodged that bullet.  

On 7/9/2023 at 4:53 AM, skrilla1212 said:

To which he told me "it's his to do with what he wants and since he'll never sell it, it doesn't matter." lol

On 7/9/2023 at 10:43 AM, Matches_Malone said:

How so? Is still original published pencils with unpublished inks. 

What you see is not the published cover. It's a commission over the published pencils. The published pencils don't exist anymore. Should've been inked over bluelines so the published pencils could still exist on one page, and the unpublished commission on another.

On 7/9/2023 at 1:45 PM, AlexG_art said:

I'm curious to know, how many times has this Bagley cover come to auction?

Mark Bagley and Matt Banning (as Batt - inked after publication) | LotID #59004 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

This one: Mark Bagley and Matt Banning (as Batt - inked after publication) | Lot #95016 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

I won, but later cancelled because I found out the inks were done after publication. It was later auctioned off again at half the price. 

I had deep pockets back then; glad I dodged that bullet.  

I believe you won it at HA then cancelled? I saw it on Comic Link in 2016 also I think. So this would be the third time at least.

As long as it's noted I don't really have a problem, but I think the HA description should be more overt. "Banning ink commission over published pencils"? I dunno, it's hard to convey exactly what you're getting here and not everyone will deep dive.

On 7/9/2023 at 7:20 PM, Twanj said:

I believe you won it at HA then cancelled? 

I contacted HA directly and sent them links from Banning's Instagram post mentioning the inking process over Bagley's pencils. It took a few days, but I was able to retract my bid. 

Edited by AlexG_art

On 7/9/2023 at 7:20 PM, Twanj said:

What you see is not the published cover. It's a commission over the published pencils. The published pencils don't exist anymore. Should've been inked over bluelines so the published pencils could still exist on one page, and the unpublished commission on another.

I believe you won it at HA then cancelled? I saw it on Comic Link in 2016 also I think. So this would be the third time at least.

As long as it's noted I don't really have a problem, but I think the HA description should be more overt. "Banning ink commission over published pencils"? I dunno, it's hard to convey exactly what you're getting here and not everyone will deep dive.

There's definitely buyers remorse. When a piece has stigma attached it can be hard to enjoy it.

Like I said before nothing against Matt's efforts. I just believe you don't add anything to a published piece.

I suspect as cool as the piece is (was) it will be shipped around a few more times. As the various owners sit with the weight of the transgressions against a sanctified published piece of art, they will likely have trouble enjoying it.

On 7/7/2023 at 9:42 AM, Khazano said:To this day, should I ever see either brother at a con, I plan on ripping into them something fierce about it all.  

On 7/7/2023 at 9:42 AM, Khazano said:

20230707_092926.jpg

Not sure where you live, but we should collect money in a Go Fund Me and send you to SDCC. Ye Brothers Grimm will be there. Would love to see you in action with cameras rolling. lol

On 7/9/2023 at 10:20 PM, Twanj said:

Bannings commissioned unpublished inks over Bagley's original published pencils is an apt description for USM35.  

Since it is well documented, I would be OK having it in my collection at the correct price.

It was also used as a video game cover.

image.jpeg

On 7/10/2023 at 3:52 AM, grapeape said:

Not sure where you live, but we should collect money in a Go Fund Me and send you to SDCC. Ye Brothers Grimm will be there. Would love to see you in action with cameras rolling. lol

TBH, I can't believe it hasn't happened yet.  They've got what, 25+ years of angering people in this hobby? (Although I do recall some stories back in the comicart-l days of people confronting them...) 

I'm sure when the inevitable showdown between them and I happens, my friends will have camera's rolling. Although I would image the title they would upload to tiktok would be something like "man child becomes unhinged over spider-man drawing" all the while sad/inspirational music plays in the background. lol

Edited by Khazano