• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Scam That Got Thru...

135 posts in this topic

Jim, I sense the force is strong with you. I'm assuming since so much time has elapsed and no one from cgc has responded to this thread that Jim must be right. No doubt they are consulting and doing a major investigation. I'm sure Josh is letting them no who put it up on comiclink. That seller is certainly revealing where he got it from in the first place and so on and so forth.

I assume your being sarcastic.

Jim, I sense the force is strong with you. I'm assuming since so much time has elapsed and no one from cgc has responded to this thread that Jim must be right. No doubt they are consulting and doing a major investigation. I'm sure Josh is letting them no who put it up on comiclink. That seller is certainly revealing where he got it from in the first place and so on and so forth.

I assume your being sarcastic.

No assumptions. sumo.gif

How is this thread on page 2?

bumpit.gif

Same comic is also listed on Pedigree's site...

Jim

And is still on Pedigree's site... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Has anyone e-mailed Doug to let him know that he's once again selling one of those Blue Label restored books? confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe the new label will have a 3rd designation. Adding an insert to a book that never had it doesn't really fall under "restoration".....does it? poke2.gif

Jim

Has anyone e-mailed Doug to let him know that he's once again selling one of those Blue Label restored books? confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe the new label will have a 3rd designation. Adding an insert to a book that never had it doesn't really fall under "restoration".....does it? poke2.gif

Good point! thumbsup2.gif

And you've now provided CGC with the excuse they've been scraping around for for the last few days... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Jim

And you've now provided CGC with the excuse they've been scraping around for for the last few days... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Nah. CGC is stuck on this one. The only play is "incompetence". Any attempt to spin this will have disasterous results.

Jim

Nah. CGC is stuck on this one. The only play is "incompetence". Any attempt to spin this will have disasterous results.

You would think, wouldn't you?

However, they would have to cough to...

(a) lack of knowledge

(b) lack of detection expertise

The first is, possibly, understandable, given the specific and quite arcane knowledge required. The second, however....

Can't detect trimming, can't detect staple replacement, can't detect disassembly....

What sort of 'peace-of-mind' are people getting these days? confused-smiley-013.gif

The first is, possibly, understandable, given the specific and quite arcane knowledge required.

Not really a secret...just takes a mountain of inserts, modest amount of money, and an EXCEL spreadsheet actually... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Can't detect trimming, can't detect staple replacement, can't detect disassembly....

What sort of 'peace-of-mind' are people getting these days?

I don't recall seeing anything about 'peace-of-mind' on the label..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, and 99.9999% of all CGC eBay auctions.

'No returns as the slab guarantees what you're getting.'

Oh really, Sherlock? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What sort of 'peace-of-mind' are people getting these days?

I don't recall seeing anything about 'peace-of-mind' on the label..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, just on all the trade ads....

The use of the term "UNIVERSAL" on the label does seem to give CGC a little leeway . insane.gif

Could someone 'splain to me what was restored on this book? Book was taken apart and an insert was added, staples were put back in. They screwed up on the insert, obviously knowledge they didn't have, but the book was not restored in any way. Disassembly is not a form of restoration in and of itself. The only note they should have put in is that the insert was added post-production.

Is it also possible that the book is simply mislabeled and has only one of the inserts?

Could there have been a second Mennen insert after the first one?

Sorry to break up the party, but these are some pretty obvious questions that need to be answered. I know Jim knows more about those inserts than anyone else on the planet, but it is possible that he hasn't gathered up ALL of the knowledge just yet....

Could someone 'splain to me what was restored on this book? Book was taken apart and an insert was added, staples were put back in. They screwed up on the insert, obviously knowledge they didn't have, but the book was not restored in any way. Disassembly is not a form of restoration in and of itself. The only note they should have put in is that the insert was added post-production.

Who said it was restored? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Is it also possible that the book is simply mislabeled and has only one of the inserts?

Possible...but I doubt they made that error...it's not like they grade Mennen inserts everyday...

Could there have been a second Mennen insert after the first one?

Nope...

Sorry to break up the party, but these are some pretty obvious questions that need to be answered. I know Jim knows more about those inserts than anyone else on the planet, but it is possible that he hasn't gathered up ALL of the knowledge just yet....

Not in this case...there wasn't another Mennen insert. Only one...July 1973. And no other Marvels in Feb 1974 sent to military exchanges has anything other than a MJ insert. I have plenty of examples and also the ad codes on the inserts used for the month...

Jim

Who said it was restored? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Please re-read the last few responses in this thread if you really need to ask this question.

I did...the only mention of restoration was questioning that this comic may not be an example... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim