• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another ebay question regarding sale practices

22 posts in this topic

I have a situation that I think has probably been brought up before, but here it is again:

I bought a Detetive 439 9.4 from this guy on Ebay with a BIN. Five days later, I paypal'd the money to him and then waited for the book.....Two weeks goes by, then the book finally arrives. Now, I sent him $10.00 for shipping and insurance. The item arrives in good condition, but there is no insurance. And it only cost $ 4.76 to mail.....so he got an extra 5 bucks out of me.

Now, I sent him an email telling him that I am not happy with the transaction. He stated in his auction that he expected payment within 10 days. Fair enough. Now, I should expect the book in a timely fashion. Two weeks is not timely !!!!!

Anyone else have an opinion on this ? - If sellers expect payment with 5-7-10 days, should we leave negitive feedback for late shippment ?? - Overcharging ??

And since I paid him within 5 days, and did my part, I'll get negitive feedback strictly out of vindictivness...right ??!

sometimes best to just to let it go. The one time i gave a legit negative FB, I got one back the next day. If it was like a $200 book...maybe but for $5 is it worth it?

btw....did u get the grade yet on the GL #59?

Go Neutral .

Sometimes it can take a few days to get to get to you cause of post office.

You did get the items and they were in the conditioned mentioned were they not?

My opinion is to never leave a neutral - doesn't really mean anything...always leave positive feedback if you are satisfied or if you want to let it go and leave scathing negatives is not happy - don't be wishy washy... neutrals are whack!

In your case here, you did your part. If his description said $10 for shipping and insurance ( and some people on here don't consider that it has to be USPS Postal Insurance - it could be a refund policy or their own insurance built in to thier business license), and you paid it - then you knew what you got into. Did the seller say that they would be sending priority mail? Or UPS 2 day? or did you just ASSUME...although your thinking process is reasonable, there is no written stipulation that the seller will get you the item any faster if you pay faster.

I've paid folks using paypal seconds after auctions ends. Some take weeks to get it to me. Some folks send it out to me the next day. There is no uniform rule. Shipping is at the seller's convenience, unless specifically listed in the auction description.

I have a baby on the way in about 3 weeks - I'd probably just warn any of my buyers ahead of time that I won't be jumping at the drop of their payment to mail their books toute de suite. They'd be lucky if I don't mail a dirty diaper with their books if they get on my case tongue.gif

You should put a big poopy diaper up on eBay!

Special Poopy Diaper Pedigree! See if you get any bids. You could post a photo of a full diaper and say something like "in order to guarantee freshness, the posted photo is just a representation of the acutal poopy diaper that will be shipped to the winning bidder."

Is it legal to ship poopy diapers through the mail? Or does that fall in to the hazardous waste category?

I agree: the only thing a neutral will do is upset the seller which will translate into a neg for you. If you feel wronged here (which I do) and want to neg him, wait 90 days (ebay's time limit). If after cooling off, it's still "go time," you will dramatically reduce his window of opportunity for retaliation.

But, like was mentioned earlier, just ask yourself if it is worth it?

Rick

Hey Mike,

I don't think its worth jumping ahead to the feedback stage yet.

I would definitely be irked that the guy sent the package out without the insurance for 2 reasons. one, because obviously you paid for it to the tune of $5, and two, if the book was lost or damaged you have to wonder if he'd pay up? Most likely he wouldn't and would try and rationalize his way out of it saying he bought insurance but lost the slip. Assuming the insurance was left off intentionally to make the extra $5, is that the type of person that would be upstanding and give you the money back if it was lost? Doubtful.

I'd mention your displeasure that the book was sent out without the insurance and ask him politely, but firmly for the $5 back. If he declines, don't leave any feedback, but don't buy from him again.

Then after 90 days you can create a clever ID like some of our board members... like "charges for insurance but u won't get it" and bid on some of his auctions grin.gif

I understand about the over-charge and that he shipped uninsured. That wasn't really right, and he should rectify this.

But as for the late shipping, I really don't think 2 weeks is that long. Usually, the reason people ask for payment in 10 days is not so much an issue of speed, but insuring that the person has the money ready, in hand, and is a serious buyer. Some people will buy with money they don't yet have, ie: waiting for the next paycheck, or something like that. The 5-10 day thing will usually help circumvent that.

Also, as Darth mentioned, some people's schedules don't alow for opportunities to ship at the drop of a hat, especially those who don't sell full time. I know because I'm in this boat. I work strange, unpredictalbe hours(just look at the time of this post), and sometimes it might take me a few days to get to the post office.

But I do think you have an issue in regards to the over-charge and lack of insurance.

Just my 2 cents.

Delivery = 2 weeks is Good !! I live in Canada. I have waited over 2 weeks many times for an auction win, from either Canada or the USA.

Shipping = $ 10.00 was too much for an uninsured package.

Neutral = Meaningless option. E-Bay should get rid of it.

Negative = You were aware of the shipping price. Before bidding, you should have E-mailed the seller & questioned the level of service price was based on.Do not assume anything !!

Were the items received what you bid on, in the condition etc, stated ?

If so , you should leave a positive or no feedback at all.

donut or chrisco is "ma baby daddy"

And all that time, you just thought I was picking up books at Tyson's from ya! grin.gif

Uh-oh! Darth does work for the PO? *Gulp* I think I may be in trouble!!! shocked.gif

Chris

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice/input. I think i will wait before I leave feedback, but in terms of the argument, that it might take them (sellers) to get to the Post office, I think that is bull**** ! - And I will tell you why. I feel that if I have to go to the post office and get a money order and mail it out (assuming that I pay that way if the seller demands that ) , and( I work nights, twelve hour shifts,) then he can get his happy [!@#%^&^] to the p.o. and mail the package in the same timely manner that he insists upon for payment. Sellers are always complaining about how buyers bid and don't follow thru thier obligation, but they have one to the buyer.... 99.3% of the time, I mail the package the day that I get the money.....for just these reasons. - if you look at my feedback comments, the buyer is always praising my "quick shipping." - And in some cases, if the book was a big ticket item, I will overnight it at my expense....as a couple of forum members here can attest to...who shall remain nameless - cool.gif

I'll confirm that.

On our first deal, a cash and trade, I shipped Mike's book out Priority. When he received it , my book came whizzing my way via Fed-Ex ( I think) or Next Day Air at his additional expense.

That said, most people are not generous to a fault like that, nor as fast. I think Domestic US shipping should be less than 2 weeks though... (6-10 days) unless the seller states something to the contrary in the auction. You also have to consider varying shipping times. Recently, I sent packages Priority (from NJ) all the way to CA in 2 days, but others to OH and OK took 6-7 via Priority???

I think our Canadian and Overseas friends have a slightly more forgiving attitude since they are accustomed to slower delivery, customs headaches... and ridiculous fees too. You'd have to be a dedicated collector to put up with all that. I can understand Andrew's post recently giving us US collectors a reality check on our shipping related gripes. Comparatively, we have it pretty good.

I have sent stuff to Canada using GLobal priority and it does get there within 4-7 days; same with air mail = 4-7 days. I've even sent surface mail and it still got there in a week - I guess it depends in which part of Canada and I've had buyers from Vancouver to Toronto.

I don't know if Mike meant that the seller took two weeks from the time he received payment to send out, but that can be verified by Mike, just by looking at the postmark on the package. I think Mike may be counting from the time he mailed the Money Order (or check - which takes even longer to clear) up to the time he got the package - if so two weeks is pretty good.

Timeline:

1st of the month: Mike wins auction and mails out money order first class

5th of the month: Payment arrives at seller's remittance address.

6th of the month: Seller mails out item via media mail/first class

11th - 13th of the month: Package arrives at Mike's

= 2 week transaction smile.gif

Most of my transaction timelines look like this:

1st of the month: Buyer wins my auction. Paypals me minutes after winning (since my shipping costs are crystal clear from description wink.gif )

2nd of month: I mail out CGC book via priority or media mail/leave feedback for buyer

4th-5th of month : Priority Buyer gets his books safe and sound - very happy and leaves glowing feedback

6th-8th of month :Media mail Buyer gets his books safe and sound - very happy and leaves glowing feedback

Now I can't speak for everyone here, but that's just how I roll up in this motha... grin.gif

Hey Darth, you forgot:

24th of Month: Get credit card bill and thinks "Why the heck did I buy all this Modern [!@#%^&^] for that little weasel?"

27th of Month: Wife kicks his [!@#%^&^] for jacking up their credit card bill.

28th of Month: Wakes up with sore back from sleeping on the couch.