• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Eagle (Texas Trio fanzine)
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Kind of surprised when this showed up in MCS's inventory recently. It was one of the missing TT's fanzines there for a long time & I had only send 1 ebay sale in the last year that I totally missed in real time. The significance is this is Jim Starlin's 2nd full length "comic" after the TT Doctor Weird 1 fanzine. I think it's his first published original creation though (all this is supposition based on what research I can do). The most notable thing I see is the darkening of the paper. Note that unlike other TT fanzine from the same time period, the book is entirely newspaper-quality paper, no cardstock or heavier weight paper for the cover (some of their later stuff is on glassy paper). Kind of reminds me of early UK Captain Britain & similar books, only in B&W. Internal pages added for looking at the coloration of the paper.

PXL_20230708_230220012.jpg

PXL_20230708_230227965.jpg

PXL_20230708_230244690.jpg

PXL_20230708_230320085.jpg

Edited by scburdet

I have no idea how to grade this but I’ll just throw a dart blindfolded and say 9.0? Only thing I can see is some edge wear and maybe a tiny bit of corner wear, but yeah no clue how to grade this type of book. Very curious to see how CGC sees it!

On 7/11/2023 at 5:56 PM, Nsschenks said:

Very curious to see how CGC sees it!

Me too. Only 3 on the census, inc. 1 signature. My plan is to get this signed by Starlin. It's so hard to figure out how these will be treated b/c there aren't any comps to examine. 

I think Starlin was trying to save on signing ink on this one {squints}. The signature is in the bottom corner of the top right pie piece of the peace sign. Very happy. Only a Universal and a SS 9.6 are better copies in census. Only the 2nd SS copy on the census. 

PXL_20231018_011632980.jpg