• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for Mod on Type of Tape
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I am going to submit a golden age comic that will probably grade in the 3.0 to 4.0 range. The spine is almost detached and was going to use tape to reinforce/secure it knowing that tape will not effect the grade much at that level.

MY QUESTION to a moderator: If "archival tape" is used, will it be considered restoration? Or, is tape just tape in CGC's eyes? Matt Nelson addresses tape on p. 76 of his book, but does not say if CGC views archival tape the same as scotch or cellophane tape that were primarily used earlier in collection history. Thanks.

Thanks for these links. I am aware of them and have researched the forums on the topic ...  but my request is for a moderator to respond to the specific question. In some instances CGC just uses the word "tape" but in the 2014 link (news/article/4084/) on what is considered conservation, "archived tape" is listed.

Does CGC currently view scotch or cellophone tape different than archive tape. 

They are all over the place when it comes to tape, you're likely to go mad before any consistent answer can be found. I've found it best to avoid Archival tape; not because it isn't far better than scotch tape, but that CGC more often than not will classify it as restoration due to material combined with obvious intent to repair. Scotch tape is literally the only way to 'dodge' restoration/conservation label, but at the same time do the most damage to a book and is just a bad idea all around. Just don't do it.

If you are wanting to do basic conservation on these books, I would just invest the time or funds in doing it proper with a tear seal (Japanese mending tissue + wheat starch paste). Avoid reinforcing with heat set tissues (such as Filmoplast R), it's a good product and basically a better version of archival tape (and easier to apply compared to traditional tear seals) but due to how it looks when applied you risk CGC mistaking it for archival tape. Alternatively a small drop of glue can be used to reinforce the staple areas, though once again this will most certainly lead to restoration classification when doing so (not like a kid back in the 50s doing it on the books). 

So basically, leave them as is unless you are going to invest in proper conservation.