• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 trimmed?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Thinking of buying, but I’ve compared it to other 181’s and it definitely looks like it’s missing art/features found on other copies both right and left sides of cover, especially right. Opinions?

54C841F0-2A55-4A7B-8F90-5BE7CCB4A6C2.jpeg

0AC5FAF3-AE17-4033-BA7C-6A8EEFCA02AA.jpeg

Edited by Calidream'n

On 7/14/2023 at 9:03 AM, Semicentennial said:

It does look trimmed.  The book looks weird.   Was this a recent purchase? 

@Semicentennial , no, it almost was. One of those seemingly unbelievable deals. The guy who has it in NY had some X-men for sale at a really good price. I saw this book in the background, and inquired about it and asked for pictures and price. He said $5,000 firm, as he was planning on sending it to CGC then Heritage. $5,000 would have been an incredible deal for a book in this condition. Now seeing as he's trying to pass this off as unrestored, I'm staying away from all his books. With the really white pages and super sharp sides and edges, I'm thinking this book might have been washed and trimmed. Guys in the "Grade my" section said the same as you; the book looks "off". 

Edited by Calidream'n

Thought I might as well include all the pictures he sent me. Soooo, second warning I've given in a week; beware seller August Dos Santos on FB Marketplace in NY. He's selling this as all original/no resto.

A86BA11A-A803-45A3-ACF0-A568E99F6915.jpeg

851EFC95-A1DA-4F82-BD53-CD8E4BEF021D.jpeg

93282C12-89A8-4A86-BDDC-B9502716EEEC.jpeg

Edited by Calidream'n

On 7/14/2023 at 6:51 PM, joeypost said:

Who was the seller?

@joeypost Seller of the Hulk 181 is a guy named August Dos Santos from New Rochelle, NY.

The seller of the big collection I went to see but wasn’t able to really “see” them is Marshall or Michael Zerner out of Newton, NJ

On 7/14/2023 at 2:36 PM, Lazyboy said:

Forget trimming, that's a fake.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is, aside from possible trimming, the evidence of cleaning. Based on the subtle waviness of the cover and interior pages, taking into account it looks so unnaturally white it appears fake as you said, this looks to be a case of hydrogen peroxide cleaning that went so overboard the book became whiter than it was the day it was printed back in 1974. I've seen that waviness before on books people post after peroxide cleanings, and since everything else about the book looks like a legitimate first printing, this copy (cover and interior) was 100% cleaned. 2c

The interior graphics look a little larger than an actual book.  While it can be trimming, the border of the panels in the "fake" books are closer to the edge of the page whereas the legit copy looks like there is more of a gap between the panel and edge of the paper.  I have a counterfeit Cry For Dawn #1 and the cover and interior pages are not the same size of an actual copy.  

On 7/15/2023 at 10:50 AM, Semicentennial said:

The interior graphics look a little larger than an actual book.  While it can be trimming, the border of the panels in the "fake" books are closer to the edge of the page whereas the legit copy looks like there is more of a gap between the panel and edge of the paper.  I have a counterfeit Cry For Dawn #1 and the cover and interior pages are not the same size of an actual copy.  

Ahh, I didn't see that one splash page interior photo.

If that's the case, I rescind my comments. lol

Edited by Phill the Governor