• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: The Creature 1 (Dell, 1st print, 2nd copy)
1 1

5 posts in this topic

While my recently returned copy was in Sarasota, this copy came up for auction. Since copy 1 had some kid's name written on it, I hedged a bit and put in a soft bid on this one thinking someone would come over the top. No one did. In addition to no writing on the cover, there are things to like about this copy compared to the old one, but the page color might not be one of them. I see two defects that may not be visible or easy to see in photos. There's a short readers crease in the white area on the back spine. There's also what looks to be a vein or very light printers crease diagonally in the green left/above "CR"EATURE. I don't see color break, but it does have some texture. Same grade as last time? Higher? Lower? Curious what people think.

Reference:

Creature-1b.jpg

Creature-1bRev.jpg

PXL_20230715_014059556.jpg

PXL_20230715_014135608.jpg

On 7/14/2023 at 7:11 PM, scburdet said:

Same grade as last time? Higher? Lower? Curious what people think.

To my eye, this copy looks a bit nicer than your first copy (comparable wear, but no 1" spine split and inked name). (thumbsu  That being said, I would have given your first copy a 4.0.  :cry:  So put me down for a 4.5 as is, or a 5.0 with a press that removes the stacking curl and realigns the cover/page edges.  :foryou:

c1.jpg.19ef7748a4522a2f55248a166fbdd0ce.jpg

On 7/15/2023 at 12:33 PM, zzutak said:

first copy a 4.0

I did not have it as a 5.5 either. It did press nicely & has great color all things considered. I think it was graded by an equally big Creature from the Black Lagoon fan. Or it got an early Dell bump.