• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TORONTO COMICON - FREE FAN APPRECIATION EVENT...

13 posts in this topic

We have FINALLY signed our HUGE guest and the spring date has now been confirmed for the TORONTO COMICON FAN APPRECIATION EVENT.

On top of our HUGE headline guest, who will be making a very very rare appearance, we have also confirmed some of comic's BIGGEST and BEST stars with many more in the works...

The show will be HUGE...

The guests will be HUGE...

and it will all be FREE with a coupon.

Comic Fans will be in for a real treat!

The show will be officially launched on January 9/06 with the date and location information.

The guest list will be released at the February 5/06 Toronto Comicon with superstar artist, Ethan Van Sciver at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre...

Free Admission Coupon details will be released with the January 9/06 launch.

Stay Tuned...

HSM

We have FINALLY signed our HUGE guest and the spring date has now been confirmed for the TORONTO COMICON FAN APPRECIATION EVENT.

On top of our HUGE headline guest, who will be making a very very rare appearance, we have also confirmed some of comic's BIGGEST and BEST stars with many more in the works...

The show will be HUGE...

The guests will be HUGE...

and it will all be FREE with a coupon.

Comic Fans will be in for a real treat!

The show will be officially launched on January 9/06 with the date and location information.

The guest list will be released at the February 5/06 Toronto Comicon with superstar artist, Ethan Van Sciver at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre...

Free Admission Coupon details will be released with the January 9/06 launch.

Stay Tuned...

HSM

If we dont have a coupon its not really free isnt it?

Why shoudl we need coupons if its free?

Why not stamp out hands at the door?

How much will Free event cost if we dont have coupon?

"If we dont have a coupon its not really free isnt it?"

"Why shoudl we need coupons if its free?"

Hence, why it says free WITH a coupon...

"How much will Free event cost if we dont have coupon?"

It will probably be the same as last year, but those details will be announced on Jan 9/06.

The TORONTO COMICON Official website for the FREE FAN APPRECIATION EVENT will be launched on January 9/06...

The guest list for the Fan Appreciation Event will be announced at the Feb 5/06 Ethan Van Sciver appearance in Toronto...The guests should be listed on the website by Feb 6/06...

I guarantee comic fans will not be disappointed... We managed to top our 2005 Fan Appreciation guest list...

hsm

Well, today is the day, that Hobby Star is supposed to announce the date for their Fan Appreciation Event, by launching the website. So far, all I've seen was the Fan Expo 2006 website up and running, just waiting on the Fan Appreciation Event.

I'm actually surprised. No once has gone on this post to bad mouth Aman. Glad we're all keeping this now to a somewhat professional thread. Little fun here and there, but keeping to the Events.

Well, today is the day, that Hobby Star is supposed to announce the date for their Fan Appreciation Event, by launching the website. So far, all I've seen was the Fan Expo 2006 website up and running, just waiting on the Fan Appreciation Event.

I'm actually surprised. No once has gone on this post to bad mouth Aman. Glad we're all keeping this now to a somewhat professional thread. Little fun here and there, but keeping to the Events.

We wont bad mouth him because no matter what we say he will defend his unethical bussiness practices anyway

I'm assuming everyone has read this already? Found on the comicconventions website.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Something is Rotten in the Citystate of Toronto

Why do people insist on making my life that much more difficult?

http://www.torontocomicon.com

So, there are two "mainstream" comic convention programmers in Toronto, Paradise Comics and Hobbystar. They are at each other's throats, 364 days a year, and the whole thing is coming to a head with a very deliberate aggresive act from Hobbystar at Paradise. It's incredibly frustrating because I've got no interest in seeing other con fold, they both bring different things to the city (just like TCAF, just like Anime North, just like a bunch of other events). But it looks like the folks at Hobbystar (who run 'the big show in August', usually called Canadian National Comic Expo) are scheduling:

a) a free show

b) the week before Paradise's show

c) with the same name.

Hardly sporting. Received this in my inbox today:

Toronto Comicon Fan Appreciation Confusion

1/09/2006

Dear Fans and friends of the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon,

For the second year in a row - Hobbystar Marketing has scheduled a free admittance comic book event less than a week before the long announced dates for the PARADISE COMICS TORONTO COMICON.

The Toronto ComiCON "Fan Appreciation Event" scheduled for Sunday, April 23rd, 2006 is not affiliated with the PARADISE COMICS TORONTO COMICON (scheduled for April 28-30) in ANY way.

Last year I was told by Hobbystar that the first Fan Appreciation Event was "in the works" for a long time and that the Sunday the week before our convention "was the only date available". Being an easy-going guy I didn't like it, but accepted their word but stated clearly that if it happened again there would be no doubt that this was an aggressive tactic.

Well they did it anyway. There is no doubt about it, this IS an act of overt aggression. This isn't Wizard scheduling a show on the same weekend as another beloved convention in a DIFFERENT city. This is a local promoter DELIBERATELY scheduling a show less than one week before an announced convention less than a MILE away in the SAME city with the intention of hurting the latter event.

We are not the biggest comics convention in the world, but over the last four years, according to our attendees we've definitely become one of the better ones -- our commitment to creators, fans and collectors is well-known, and the relaxed community atmosphere we've established has earned us the support of the majority of the fans, creators and collectors in our fair city.

If you receive a Toronto ComiCON free admission coupon thru the mail or at your local comics store be advised that it will not be honoured at the TORONTO COMICON on April 28-30, 2006. Make sure to check the fine print.

Best regards for 2006,

Kevin Boyd

Paradise Conventions

kevin@torontocomicon.com

As a retailer, this is doubly frustrating. On the one hand, we've got to explain that the guys at the Hobbystar are deliberately trying to [embarrassing lack of self control] the guys at Paradise, and no one comes off well in that situation. Adding more negativity just turns people off. On the other hand, there's no way we can afford to haul our setup down for a one day show, particularly not while we're getting ready for a huge three day show a couple days later. It's not like I don't want to make the money, but the timing makes it impossible for us to attend both and Paradise's is clearly the better show.

Anyway, consider this a public service announcement for those confused or frustrated about the upcoming shows: We're in the same boat.

- Chris

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon: http://www.torontocomicon.com

Hobbystar Toronto Comicon: http://www.hobbystar.com/hobbystar/Conventions.html

3:59 PM: posted by Christopher Butcher

Comments!! (10) | Trackback? (0)

Just stirring the pot a littme....Sal :-) devil.gif