• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New OPG Top 50 Silver Age books?

48 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2023 at 6:00 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Showcase 4 and Action 242 are highly overvalued 

Agree as to Action 242.  

But even though I am an X-Men collector I do not view X-Men 1 as more significant than Showcase 4 and supply of X-Men 1 (4456 universal and 74 copies 9.0 or better) is 10x greater than Showcase 4 (416 Universal and only 8 copies 9.0 or better).

Edited by sfcityduck

On 7/22/2023 at 8:14 PM, sfcityduck said:

X-Men 1 over Showcase 4?  Action 242 over Action 252? 

That's exactly what jumped out to me.   

I imagine this is just for high grade copies? Because if I can pick up a low grade Showcase 4 for less than a low grade X1, I'm in. 

The other one that surprised me a little was how high FF5 has climbed. 

On 7/23/2023 at 9:16 AM, sfcityduck said:

Agree as to Action 242.  

But even though I am an X-Men collector I do not view X-Men 1 as more significant than Showcase 4 and supply of X-Men 1 (4456 universal and 74 copies 9.0 or better) is 10x greater than Showcase 4 (416 Universal and only 8 copies 9.0 or better).

“More significant” is a debatable qualifier that changes over the course of time.

in the late 80’s/early 90’s, everyone wanted a Showcase 4 because historically, it was the 1st Silver Age book (even though there was minor rumblings surrounding Tec 225 and even Superman’s Pal and Superman’s GF).

Flash forward (pun intended) 30 years, and the historical significance has waned for a lot of olds timers and newer Silver Age collectors…it’s more about demand and in that regard, demand for X-Men 1 continues to increase, while Showcase 4 continues to receive a ‘pity price bump’ for several years.

it’s just the way things go, and it’s not limited to Silver Age.  Recall when Marvel Comics 1 was the most valuable GA book?  Or Tec 27?

Same circumstances/changes have been seen with Bronze and Copper books.

Showcase 4 had its moment in the Sun, but its appeal has faded.  Won’t be too long before ASM 1 overtakes it’s spot in the OPG Top 50.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

The thing that stands out the most to me is the fact that Flash #105 is SO highly placed compared to quite a few of the books it beats! From what I can tell, it's his 5th Silver Age appearance! Ok, so they fire-up his old title and continue the numbering. That's worth more than the first appearance of DAREDEVIL??? That's crushingly worth more than the first Silver Age appearance of Captain America??? I think most would agree that Cap was more popular and widely known in the Golden Age and is more popular and widely known now!!! I could see it if it was the first appearance of the Silver Age Flash, but it's not by a long shot! Doesn't make sense to me.  2c

Edited by Frisco Larson

On 7/23/2023 at 9:16 PM, sfcityduck said:

Yes, but demand for Showcase 4 is 10x less than for X-Men 1.

On 7/24/2023 at 5:15 AM, Frisco Larson said:

The thing that stands out the most to me is the fact that Flash #105 is SO highly placed compared to quite a few of the books it beats! From what I can tell, it's his 5th Silver Age appearance! Ok, so they fire-up his old title and continue the numbering. That's worth more than the first appearance of DAREDEVIL??? That's crushingly worth more than the first Silver Age appearance of Captain America??? I think most would agree that Cap was more popular and widely known in the Golden Age and is more popular and widely known now!!! I could see it if it was the first appearance of the Silver Age Flash, but it's not by a long shot! Doesn't make sense to me.  2c

Well, in this case the pricing is borne out by real world prices.  A CGC 9.4 Flash 105 would certainly go for more than a CGC 9.4 DD 1 and much more than a CGC 9.4 Avengers 4.  

On 7/24/2023 at 5:15 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I could see it if it was the first appearance of the Silver Age Flash, but it's not by a long shot! Doesn't make sense to me.  2c

Many things in our hobby don't make sense.  Prices for CA 100 and Iron Man 1 shouldn't be more than TOS 99, and prices for IH 102 and Sub-Mariner 1 shouldn't be more than TTA 101, and yet they are.  By a lot. 

On 7/23/2023 at 10:58 PM, tth2 said:

Well, in this case the pricing is borne out by real world prices.  A CGC 9.4 Flash 105 would certainly go for more than a CGC 9.4 DD 1 and much more than a CGC 9.4 Avengers 4.  

Yes, but it’s going for more money due to scarcity in grade than actual demand. If all three books were available in equivalent high grade copies on the census, both Marvel books would go for more.

On 7/24/2023 at 5:03 AM, maraxusofkeld said:

.......due to scarcity in grade than actual demand. 

You hit the nail on the head. Since slabbed, graded copies are now detailed in a census, they have become a specific commodity and have helped define the population of available books (to a degree at least,) and helped refine 'the chase' for many collectors. It's created a rarified atmosphere for those in the market for specific books.

On 7/23/2023 at 9:58 PM, tth2 said:

Really? I just did a quick GPA check, no in-depth market analysis, just a quick check and here's what I found. A 9.4 Flash #105 sold in Dec 2020 for $58,000 and a Daredevil #1 in 9.4 sold that same month for $33,000. However, that changed VERY quickly, as just under 4 months later (April 8th), a DD #1 in 9.4 sold for $72,000, another one a week later at $67,850 and one 2 months later at $78,000. Those aren't my opinion, those are real world prices pulled from the most widely used pricing resource. I disagree that a Flash #105 in 9.4 would "certainly" sell for more than a Daredevil #1 in 9.4 and the statistics appear to support that. 

Edited by Frisco Larson

On 7/23/2023 at 10:02 PM, tth2 said:

Many things in our hobby don't make sense.  Prices for CA 100 and Iron Man 1 shouldn't be more than TOS 99, and prices for IH 102 and Sub-Mariner 1 shouldn't be more than TTA 101, and yet they are.  By a lot. 

I agree, a LOT of things don't make sense. That said, over time, people become conditioned to believe things they've been repeatedly told, such as rarity of certain comics, the prices they should be worth, etc. Speaking strictly from my experience with the realm of collectors I frequently talk with, most would rather have a Daredevil #1 over a Flash #105. You might not have that same result in talking with your collector friends and that's cool if you don't. It's just all part of what makes our hobby interesting and sometimes challenging to navigate. Btw, it's these different perspectives that I enjoy hearing about from other collectors! Knowledge IS power and I like to learn something new every day if I can!  :cheers:

On 7/24/2023 at 12:03 PM, maraxusofkeld said:
On 7/24/2023 at 10:58 AM, tth2 said:

Yes, but it’s going for more money due to scarcity in grade than actual demand. If all three books were available in equivalent high grade copies on the census, both Marvel books would go for more.

The supply axis is as important and valid in determining price as the demand axis. (shrug)

Otherwise, we would also be discussing why the first appearance of Wolverine, who is much more popular than Flash, isn't worth as much in 9.4 as Flash 105.  Obviously it's because there are a zillion more copies of IH 181 in 9.4 and above than Flash 105.  

On 7/24/2023 at 3:54 PM, Frisco Larson said:
On 7/24/2023 at 10:58 AM, tth2 said:

Really? I just did a quick GPA check, no in-depth market analysis, just a quick check and here's what I found. A 9.4 Flash #105 sold in Dec 2020 for $58,000 and a Daredevil #1 in 9.4 sold that same month for $33,000. However, that changed VERY quickly, as just under 4 months later (April 8th), a DD #1 in 9.4 sold for $72,000, another one a week later at $67,850 and one 2 months later at $78,000. Those aren't my opinion, those are real world prices pulled from the most widely used pricing resource. I disagree that a Flash #105 in 9.4 would "certainly" sell for more than a Daredevil #1 in 9.4 and the statistics appear to support that. 

I have to admit I made my comment without actually checking.  I really haven't followed the DD 1 market very closely in recent years, while I thought that Flash 105 in 9.4 had broken the $100k barrier, but apparently not.

Anyways, I think we can all agree that Flash 105 in 9.4 will definitely sell for a lot more than an Avengers 4 in 9.4.