• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Fantastic Exploits 16
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Another fanzine off the beaten track with unclear grading standards to challenge (antagonize) my fellow boardies. I know CGC has graded at least 1 Texas Trio fanzine (Star-Studded Comics 1) that's a stapled stack instead of folded book. There aren't many though of these types of bindings in a CGC holder that I can find though, and none of this specific book in the census. Among the first few examples of published Jim Starlin art. Actually, it might be the first thing that someone "hired" him to do something. He had several submissions published by TT & this was the preview book for the omnibus Doctor Weird fanzine that aggregated all previous text-only stories & added art by Starlin. Unfortunately, not his cover art though.

FantasticExploits-16.jpg

FantasticExploits-16rev.jpg

PXL_20230726_202311145.jpg

Edited by scburdet

Kind of think they didn't know exactly what to do with this either. Notes indicate a fingerprint, which I can't find. It's just non-glossy cardstock, so not the kind of surface one typically gets nasty little prints in. Quite satisfied though. Haven't seen very many of these kicking around. Did the signing with Starlin myself and he hadn't seen one in quite a while. First on the census and unfortunately CGC didn't note that the internal art is Starlin.

PXL_20231018_011447180.jpg