• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone win anything in the Hakes Auction?

21 posts in this topic

I made some people pay more for some items but no win for me.

1951 Dennis the Menace daily - $4023 actually a good price.  I would have bid more but I already have one I like.

Dungeons and Dragons graded box set - $1882 higher than I thought but happy I contributed too the higher price.

Creature from the Black Lagoon sealed kit, 2nd issue - $1416 about right, I also helped run it up 

On 7/27/2023 at 8:15 PM, batman_fan said:

1951 Dennis the Menace daily - $4023 actually a good price.  I would have bid more but I already have one I like.

Wow!  So much for finding bargains at Hake's! 

On 7/27/2023 at 7:15 AM, batman_fan said:

Dungeons and Dragons graded box set - $1882 higher than I thought but happy I contributed too the higher price.

The grading on this one helped the price a bunch. Sealed but without the grading you'd save yourself $600-700. 

On 7/27/2023 at 8:23 AM, comix4fun said:

The grading on this one helped the price a bunch. Sealed but without the grading you'd save yourself $600-700. 

This is the second AFA 85 of this exact set they have sold. I won the first one they offered so glad to see they were about the same price in the end. 

On 7/27/2023 at 10:43 AM, cstojano said:

This is the second AFA 85 of this exact set they have sold. I won the first one they offered so glad to see they were about the same price in the end. 

Grading in this area is still pretty young. Once more people use it it will likely help 85's like yours and this one get an even larger premium. These are truly rare in this kind of condition. 

On 7/27/2023 at 8:49 AM, comix4fun said:

Grading in this area is still pretty young. Once more people use it it will likely help 85's like yours and this one get an even larger premium. These are truly rare in this kind of condition. 

Yes, per my question about CGC grading modules in the other thread, I am shocked the market is so dull for this stuff. I honestly just like the look of the cases and the protection they provide for some flimsy cardboard in some cases. I consider it like framing a 50 dollar print though. Still it adds up when you have a bunch of modules to grade. Also not sure the AFA modules will look great given the thickness of the cases. Smaller boxes like though are amazing.

On 7/27/2023 at 10:52 AM, cstojano said:

Yes, per my question about CGC grading modules in the other thread, I am shocked the market is so dull for this stuff. I honestly just like the look of the cases and the protection they provide for some flimsy cardboard in some cases. I consider it like framing a 50 dollar print though. Still it adds up when you have a bunch of modules to grade. Also not sure the AFA modules will look great given the thickness of the cases. Smaller boxes like though are amazing.

I missed the other thread. So, do these fall under the "magazine" tier for grading because of their size? 

ScreenShot2023-07-27at11_08_01AM.thumb.png.e9b276fb14c459fd324572df961cb3d2.png

On 7/27/2023 at 11:49 AM, comix4fun said:

Looks like I need to get my sets graded! :banana: 

Edited by delekkerste

On 7/27/2023 at 9:08 AM, comix4fun said:

I missed the other thread. So, do these fall under the "magazine" tier for grading because of their size? 

ScreenShot2023-07-27at11_08_01AM.thumb.png.e9b276fb14c459fd324572df961cb3d2.png

I assume so. As I said in the other thread my issue is they won't leave them sealed.

On 7/27/2023 at 8:49 AM, comix4fun said:

Also, its pretty clear we just need the big players to get involved to turn this into a market and there may not be enough product to front run to make it worthwhile. I mean, TPTB turned sealed VHS tapes into multi-k level collectibles.

On 7/27/2023 at 12:56 PM, cstojano said:

I assume so. As I said in the other thread my issue is they won't leave them sealed.

That's a big "OH HELL NO" then....most of my keepers in the collection are sealed.

On 7/27/2023 at 7:35 AM, tth2 said:

I paid $3450 for my 1955 strip which is why I thought this 1951 strip was a good buy for the buyer.  I do like my strip better but I thought the 1951 strip was a good one.  It has that very early Dennis look and the bit is pretty good. 

On 7/28/2023 at 12:46 AM, delekkerste said:
On 7/27/2023 at 9:35 PM, tth2 said:

Well, it is a strip from within the first 5 months of launch. (shrug) 

It used to be that deals could still be found in Hake's auctions.

So we're truly down to Comiclink auctions as the only place to find bargains. 

On 7/27/2023 at 2:18 PM, batman_fan said:

I paid $3450 for my 1955 strip which is why I thought this 1951 strip was a good buy for the buyer.  I do like my strip better but I thought the 1951 strip was a good one.  It has that very early Dennis look and the bit is pretty good. 

Yes, a bargain. I didnt love the gag. I dont like “precious” Dennis nearly as much as menacing Dennis. 

I've been looking for a copy of this book for a long time.

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/274144/BATMAN-ARTIST-MR.-SPRANG-THE-ART-OF-RICHARD-W-SPRANG-SIGNED-NUMBERED-HARDCOVER-BOOK

image.jpg.8f040b969b260cd5cef3659f04b295af.jpg

I was on vacation at dinner watching the end of the auction.  My bid didn't hold up and I couldn't see paying $1400.  C'est la vie. :frown: