• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Significantly important issue numbers 1-100
1 1

90 posts in this topic

Updated to reflect the great suggestions (another blatant miss on my part: Superman's Girlfriend #70)

Looking of 5 more initial numbers 72, 74, 82, 88 and 91.

Also looking for additional input for other numbers which could have other significant factors (like 13, is Groot really the most significant #13?)

82 Marvel Mystery Comics. 1st appearance of Namora

91 Tales To Astonish 1st cover appearance of Abomination (if another more important book can't be found)

Though already a important book for 22 already used.

22 Crimesuspense stories (classic cover)

7 Daredevil 1st red costume, ist billy club grappling hook. (personally I think this is the second most important book of Daredevil's run)

Edited by southern cross

As a Brit, I've been trying to find the issue number of Viz Comic featuring the classic first battle between the Brown Bottle and his nemesis, Cider Woman.

Sure it's an issue before 100, but pinning it down has proved to be an extremely difficult task.

On 8/5/2023 at 12:37 PM, Ken Aldred said:

As a Brit, I've been trying to find the issue number of Viz Comic featuring the classic first battle between the Brown Bottle and his nemesis, Cider Woman.

Sure it's an issue before 100, but pinning it down has proved to be an extremely difficult task.

Issue 18, June 1986

On 8/4/2023 at 11:27 PM, Ducky13 said:

Updated to reflect the great suggestions (another blatant miss on my part: Superman's Girlfriend #70)

Also looking for additional input for other numbers which could have other significant factors (like 13, is Groot really the most significant #13?)

GI Combat 91 - 1st Haunted Tank Cover

House of Secrets 88 - Detective Comics 31/Batman 227 homage?

On 8/4/2023 at 11:27 PM, Ducky13 said:

Malibu Sun #13 - 1st Spawn???

Oh, I think More Fun Comics #52 (1st Spectre) is a bigger key than FF #52.

Green Lantern 40 - retconned as 1st Crisis on Infinite Earths tie-in

Green Lantern 59 - first appearance Guy Gardner

Edited by Ken Aldred

How about an honorary "nn" entry to head the list, to add some historical spice.  The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbook (London, 1841: Tilt & Bogues), which arguably started the Victorian Age as the earliest known English-language sequential comic book?  Perhaps the only way this book could appear ahead of Action Comics #1 on a "significance" list among this crowd!   :devil:   Of course, it's the first "nn" issue ever, among a slew of other firsts.       

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/5/2023 at 9:33 AM, Tons Of Style said:

Paging Beerbomb and Steve Meyers...

Those classic Obadiah Oldbuck threads alone should meet the price of admission on the OP's list!  :nyah:  Seriously though, if "nn" is added, I can't think of a more significant book for this list.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/5/2023 at 2:36 PM, Pantodude said:

Those classic Obadiah Oldbuck threads alone should meet the price of admission on the OP's list!  :nyah:  Seriously though, if "nn" is added, I can't think of a more significant book for this list.  

Just read the plot in the Wikipedia entry and it sounds quite a hoot. Would come across as modern with its very dark themes! 

On 8/5/2023 at 7:45 AM, Semicentennial said:

Malibu Sun #13 - 1st Spawn???

Oh, I think More Fun Comics #52 (1st Spectre) is a bigger key than FF #52.

More Fun Comics 52 is likely a bigger key than FF 52 (older, more expensive and harder to find), but is it more significant?