• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New eBay change (for a change)
6 6

118 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2023 at 8:05 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

If you are getting 5 books shipped really well with great descriptions and photos does it really matter? Are you really concerned about a few bucks?

I am in Canada so if shipping one book from USA costs $25, then yes I am really concerned to now be automatically charged $25 five times (i.e. $125) for five books when it was possible before to combine all five books for a $30-$35 shipping cost...

On 8/12/2023 at 7:39 PM, Dr Zen said:

So you would be willing to pay 5 times the shipping?   I never said or implied that you are ripping people off. I was talking in generalities. If you are sending someone a package anyway why charge 5 times as much?

I don't care how it's broken down. If I'm looking at a book that costs $50 bucks and I believe it to be a fair deal then why does it matter? If you have 2 sellers with the same book. One is charging $45 with $5 shipping. The other is charging $50 with free shipping.  He'll let's add a 3rd option. Someone is selling the same book in the same condition as the other two. This time $40 with $10 shipping. Now which is the best deal my friend?

On 8/12/2023 at 7:46 PM, pickycollector said:

I am in Canada so if shipping one book from USA costs $25, then yes I am really concerned to now be automatically charged $25 five times (i.e. $125) for five books when it was possible before to combine all five books for a $30-$35 shipping cost...

You haven't been charged extra. You saw the price of my book. You liked it. You didn't get charged extra for shipping. So where would the problem be?

On 8/12/2023 at 8:37 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Whenever I do sell multiple items on ebay I normally add the shipping price to the book and offer free shipping. Then you don't have to worry about combining to make buyers happy anymore. 

I think all this criticism would be praise instead if you just said, "all my books come with free shipping, so I don't need to combine shipping to make buyers happy".

On 8/12/2023 at 8:53 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

You haven't been charged extra. You saw the price of my book. You liked it. You didn't get charged extra for shipping. So where would the problem be?

Huh? I don't remember buying from you, what is your eBay seller's name?

The problem is now paying $125 for shipping five books rather than $30, that is if combined shipping is not possible anymore, which I am trying to find out

On 8/12/2023 at 7:13 PM, Lightning55 said:

So if I buy 5 books from you I am paying 5 "built in" shipping charges? Ouch. 

On 8/12/2023 at 8:05 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

If you are getting 5 books shipped really well with great descriptions and photos does it really matter? Are you really concerned about a few bucks?

If people are blindly paying the multiple charges, they are naive. But that's their choice.

Personally, I would ask the seller to not only discount the total by the amount of the combined shipping savings, but additionally due to a bulk purchase. If I see no intent to do that, which just makes good business sense, I move on to a smarter seller.

On 8/12/2023 at 8:57 PM, pickycollector said:

Huh? I don't remember buying from you, what is your eBay seller's name?

The problem is now paying $125 for shipping five books rather than $30, that is if combined shipping is not possible anymore, which I am trying to find out

Combined shipping is usually possible, just not with the new offer process. 

On 8/12/2023 at 7:13 PM, Lightning55 said:

So if I buy 5 books from you I am paying 5 "built in" shipping charges? Ouch. 

On 8/12/2023 at 8:07 PM, Dr Zen said:

Yes. But hopefully the seller will give you a partial refund for the combined shipping. I've done this as a seller and had it done as a buyer.

It never hurts to ask the seller ahead of time. If they are halfway decent they will do this.

I'm not committing to "hopefully".

On 8/12/2023 at 8:19 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

You're assuming I charge $5 for a book. But you know the price of the books and the condition. So what's the problem? You see 5 books you like, you agree it's a fair price, you get the books shipped bullet proof. No games. Every book is checked out thoroughly. I've never had a negative. 

In the past, eBay has made you ship each auction that was paid for separately, separately when they are shipped. That might have changed, but doesn't mean they won't go back to it...or that people won't space out purchases.

I did some searches for free shipping after my first surprise auto payment, there aren't that many people who offer it.

On 8/12/2023 at 8:53 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

You definitely ARE being charge extra for shipping, no matter how you want to dress it up. It costs a lot more time and money to ship 5 books to separate destinations than all to a single destination. 

A smart seller will charge only what is necessary on  multiple item purchase, to pick up a good buyer. 

A greedy seller will charge the most possible, and keep the difference. We can see where you fall on this.

On 8/12/2023 at 8:37 PM, Lightning55 said:

You definitely ARE being charge extra for shipping, no matter how you want to dress it up. It costs a lot more time and money to ship 5 books to separate destinations than all to a single destination. 

A smart seller will charge only what is necessary on  multiple item purchase, to pick up a good buyer. 

A greedy seller will charge the most possible, and keep the difference. We can see where you fall on this.

Forget it. You really don't get it do you?

On 8/12/2023 at 8:43 PM, pickycollector said:

How about auctions? Will eBay charge automatically once I win the item or just when after the seller send me an invoice?

They charge you immediately, once the auction is over, or at least that has been my experience.

I called and took my credit card off the system. I left Paypal. I have multiple cards listed with PP, so I can change them up if I decide I don't need more airline point and would rather get cash back. someone who is worried about not having the funds available on one particular credit card, could use PP as well.

I also told them my concerns about not being able to combine small auctions, not just for me as a buyer, but for the sellers as well, it's not helping small sellers. There is a separate fee and they can lose buyers.

I was told they would send up my concerns, the staff was not happy with the change, but said the were not getting a lot of feedback, so I'd suggest that anyone who wants combined shipping more readily accessible, to call them.

All they need to do is enable one more button, "I'm either planning on bidding on a 2nd auction for this seller and or I'm planning on buying more than 1 item from this seller" please allow ( 1, 2 or 5 days)"

On 8/12/2023 at 9:37 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

You guys/gals are funny. You make it seem like I found a legit way to make extra money. What is a comic worth? How much should you pay? Is not the value the price agreed upon by buyer and seller? lol  Yall really need to think out your arguements.

I'm fine with sellers who build in shipping...I just pointed out that in the past when I did it, there were times I had to ship packages separately. No one is forcing anyone to bid on items that have free shipping. There is a sort button that figures out the cheapest item for your search.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:37 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

You guys/gals are funny. You make it seem like I found a legit way to make extra money. What is a comic worth? How much should you pay? Is not the value the price agreed upon by buyer and seller? lol  Yall really need to think out your arguements.

The quality argument and the stacked shipping argument are 2 different things.

On 8/12/2023 at 8:37 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

We have no idea what you charge for your books.  We just know that if you ship more than one in a box and don't reach out to the buyer to offer a discount you must be a greedy dog.  :flipbait:

On 8/12/2023 at 8:50 PM, Lightning55 said:

The quality argument and the stacked shipping argument are 2 different things.

The final price is all that matters. Let's make an example. If there were 2 CGC slabs for sale. Both X-men 112 in 9.4 with white pages. One seller is charging $200 with free shipping. The other is charging $170 plus $25 shipping. Which is the better deal? Are you upset that the one seller is charging $25 to ship 1 slab when you know dang well it doesn't cost that much? Aren't you just concerned with the bottom price?