• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Marvel Zombies 1 - question about what I believe are production flaws
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I really don't like trying to grade modern books. I have some Marvel Zombies books that all have similar problems. I believe it's just production issues, but I'm wondering if these "flaws" lower the grade.

Unfortunately, it's really difficult to pick up in scans, so I'm hoping that my description and some slightly blurry photos I took with my phone will work.

Essentially, several of the covers have a slight waviness to them which I believe is something to do with production. The vertical waves/lines are evenly spaced apart which is why I believe it's production. In addition, several (if not all) of the books have an vertical indentation near the spine which also looks intentional to me.

My question is, do these issues lower the grade?

Thank you in advance to anyone kind enough to reply and help me with this.

Here are the scans of the front and back and photos I took trying to hold the book with one hand and take a photo with my phone in the other.

image.thumb.jpeg.a2658a9a7de69064daca6bfcd3a9b3f4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5ab8e501655e4d2f41eaeccb52e55cb7.jpeg

Holding book up to bright light to show waviness in cover. Mostly just in the spot.

image.thumb.jpeg.1d6a2dc5673e52460274b144b9909413.jpeg

Indentation near spine. Is this intentional or a flaw?

image.thumb.jpeg.cfa180ae13bb1117d302f838ef2d5e95.jpeg

Edited by alecholland

I've seen this type of "waviness" in modern books too. But for CGC to ignore or minimally deduct for a production flaw (which this might be; it also might be a distribution flaw like a stacking curl), it would need to be common. My copy of this issue is high grade without such waviness. I doubt the flaw would be overlooked by CGC.

Probably a 9.2 as is. As a modern comic I think a C&P goes hand-in-hand with submitting. Do so for a 9.6 or maybe better.

Thanks for posting.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:14 AM, alecholland said:

Thanks for the replies and the information. I have it as 9.0 in my spreadsheet, but started to think maybe I need to downgrade due to production flaws.

Thanks again! (worship)

Mine had the line by the spine but no wavy pages.

I had it pressed before grading and it came back a 9.8.