• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early price guides worth anything?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2023 at 2:09 PM, Calidream'n said:

Have a chance to pick up some really early 1970’s  Overstreet price guides, starting with #2. Do these have any value?

Yup, they sure do.  The price guides themselves provide estimated values for their prior editions (in NM condition) at the back.  Keep in mind though, that as with Oversreet's chronic under-estimation of value of NM comic books, the books are likely worth signifnicantly more than Overstreet's estimates.  A universal 5.0 of the 2nd printing of the 1st edition (1970) sold for like $800 in 2021.

Apparently, due to their thickness, only the 1970 edition, both its 1st and 2nd printings, have been slabbed so far, and both printings have reported GPA sales.  The 2nd printing of the 1st ed. actually had a lower print run than its 1st printing, FWIW.  That 1970 edition was already 1/2 inch thick, the published limit for CGC slabs, back when the price guides only included GA and SA books.  Subsequent editions became too thick to slab at some point (perhaps as early as the 2nd edition in 1972, which could explain the zero slabs after 1970?).     

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/14/2023 at 2:37 PM, Artifiction said:

This thread has me wondering if there's anyone here that collects them. I'd love to see what a complete set of all of the hardback editions looks like, sitting on a shelf.

I had over twenty hardcovers, going back to #6, and had SC from #3 up.  They were a useful reference set but took up a lot of space and were heavy. I kept my replica #1 and a copy of #5 as that was the first one I bought as a collector.