• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does prescreening books possibly influence grades?
3 3

26 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2023 at 7:06 AM, The Lions Den said:

The finalizer is always the one that makes the final decision, regardless of what the pre-grader (or pre-screener) thinks. The pre-screener is usually just trying to narrow down the submission and reject the books that obviously don't meet the desired threshold. Once that's accomplished, the graders make the final decision on which books actually make the grade...  

Does this mean every book is graded, whether or not it's considered a reject by the pre-screener?

On 8/19/2023 at 7:53 AM, Gaard said:

Does this mean every book is graded, whether or not it's considered a reject by the pre-screener?

This is a great question and I'll try to give you a great answer. 

First, let's break down the pre-screening process a bit. The process can vary depending upon the number of books involved. As I previously alluded to, larger pre-screens may actually incorporate a *pre* pre-screening process which involves rejecting the books that obviously don't make the pre-screen. Those rejects are generally not going to be graded and will be sent back to the submitter. 

For smaller pre-screens, the books will be treated much like a normal invoice, but there usually doesn't need to be a *pre* pre-screen; the graders will just make the call as they go. But again, the rejects aren't usually graded---they'll just be considered as not meeting that particular pre-screen threshold. 

(And I have seen times where the submitter actually lowered the desired threshold in order to broaden the scope of the pre-screen, such as lowering a 9.8 pre-screen to a 9.6.)  :gossip:

Edited by The Lions Den

On 8/19/2023 at 12:23 PM, The Lions Den said:

(And I have seen times where the submitter actually lowered the desired threshold in order to broaden the scope of the pre-screen, such as lowering a 9.8 pre-screen to a 9.6.)  :gossip:

How would this come about? At what point does the submitter have this option? How would they find out there are too many 9.8 rejects to then lower the screen? And then the graders have to go back over the rejects, now looking for 9.6 copies, doing the work twice?

On 8/19/2023 at 1:17 PM, Lightning55 said:

How would this come about? At what point does the submitter have this option? How would they find out there are too many 9.8 rejects to then lower the screen? And then the graders have to go back over the rejects, now looking for 9.6 copies, doing the work twice?

I'm not sure if this still takes place, but I do remember it happening occasionally. Of course, things were much different back then... 

I dont think CGC allows this anymore.  Back in the day, they'd allow it, and other submitter friendly assistance, like posting the grades BEFORE shipping, and allowing people to call and get the books regraded at a lower Prescreen perhaps, and other actions (while still at CGC).  CGC finally made the cutoff decision they use today:  once we have your books in the system, no changes.  We grade and ship them.  And THEN you can resubmit if you want.  Makes sense, they have had way too many submissions of late and those allowances opened the door to extra work and flow problems... which they have enough of already.