• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's (1964) The Slow Build
5 5

1,185 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2023 at 1:33 PM, Prince Namor said:

ON NEWSSTANDS MARCH 1964

Tales to Astonish #56 - My laugh out loud moment for this issue. I couldn't but think of Monty Python. Or wish for it to turn out more LIKE that scene...

Screen Shot 2023-10-04 at 2.18.06 PM.png

Ah yes--the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog! That would have made for a more interesting story (unless the Comics Code Authority had objected)!

On 10/4/2023 at 1:42 PM, Prince Namor said:

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

Adventures of the Fly #30 - --script: Robert Bernstein  Pencils (and probably inks): John Giunta

Cover by Hy Eisman

Yeah... plenty of LOL moments in this... maybe Lee and Ayers WOULD have saved this book...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Apparently Fly girl has helium breath as a never-before-revealed superpower!

Fly Girl helium breath.jpeg

ON NEWSSTANDS MARCH 1964

Detective Comics #327 - Written by John Broome  Art by Carmine Infantino  Inks: Joe Giella  Lettering: Gaspar Saladino

Cover by Carmine Infantino (inks by Joe Giella)

Meanwhile, over at DC the "New Look" Batman debuts in Detective #327, featuring the yellow oval underneath the bat on his chest and a whole new storytelling style...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Prince Namor

ON NEWSSTANDS MARCH 1964

Detective Comics #327 - Can you imagine Marvel trying to print this??? There is so much name calling in a Marvel Comic, it might be the hypocrisy of the year. Maybe that was one of the secrets of Marvel's success - just like real life people called each other names and rather than play goody goody, the heroes are just as much at fault!

image.jpeg

On 10/4/2023 at 1:33 PM, Prince Namor said:

ON NEWSSTANDS MARCH 1964

Tales to Astonish #56 - My laugh out loud moment for this issue. I couldn't but think of Monty Python. Or wish for it to turn out more LIKE that scene...

Screen Shot 2023-10-04 at 2.18.06 PM.png

Hank could have used the holy hand grenade of Antioch!!!

ON NEWSSTANDS MARCH 1964

Sgt Fury #7 - Powerfuly Written by Ex-Sergeant Stan Lee  Brilliantly Drawn by Ex-Infantryman Jack Kirby  Inked by Geo. Bell  Lettered by Art Simek

Cover by Jack Kirby (inks by George Roussos aka 'Geo Bell')

This would be Kirby's last issue on Sgt. Fury, haven taken over Thor again and making it a complete book. The guy's only got two hands after all. And what a farewell issue it is!

Part ONE: 

RCO001_w_1469202809.jpg

RCO003_1469202809.jpg

RCO004_1469202809.jpg

RCO005_1469202809.jpg

RCO006_1469202809.jpg

RCO007_1469202809.jpg

RCO010_1469202809.jpg

RCO011_1469202809.jpg

RCO012_1469202809.jpg

RCO013_1469202809.jpg

That's pretty innovative and suspenseful storytelling for 1964!  Sgt. Fury's blackout, leaving both him and the readers in the dark about what exactly happened in France.  Then the courtroom drama, including flashbacks to flesh out Nick Fury's back story.  Good stuff!

Let me guess, next issue without Kirby won't be quite as good?  (:

On 10/5/2023 at 8:16 PM, Zonker said:

That's pretty innovative and suspenseful storytelling for 1964!  Sgt. Fury's blackout, leaving both him and the readers in the dark about what exactly happened in France.  Then the courtroom drama, including flashbacks to flesh out Nick Fury's back story.  Good stuff!

Let me guess, next issue without Kirby won't be quite as good?  (:

Not many people talk about it but Kirby's work in Our Fighting Forces 151-162 doing the Losers is a really good read!