• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's (1964) The Slow Build
5 5

1,184 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2023 at 6:44 AM, Zonker said:

Well, if we're going strictly by Marvel Method forensic analysis, it must have been Steve who came up with the visual gags of poor overworked Stan having all those Marvel characters crowding around his typewriter, while dozing Steve lets the spiders do the artwork for him (which I think is a really funny self-deprecating gag coming from Ditko).  Stan does use his captions to puff up his "scripting" contributions, and maybe that does indeed rub Steve the wrong way.  But Stan also uses his dialogue to have some fun at his own expense here:

"you practice signing your name all over"
"it sure wasn't you, Lee"
"I copied it from one of the best classics I could find"  
"Lee's swelled head"

Sure, Stan was capable of self-deprecating humor (Steve too, as you point out--something that I find particularly appealing about this featurette). There was more than a grain of truth hiding behind the humor, as we later found out.

On 11/28/2023 at 3:35 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

This Spider-Man annual is what got me into Marvel. It made me realize something different is going on with Marvel.

Marvel recently released a facsimile edition of ASM Annual #1. Unfortunately it's not squarebound nor on newsprint, but a good option if you don't have thousands to spend on an original.

On 11/28/2023 at 11:33 AM, KirbyJack said:

Chin up, Steven! I'm sure you can find a copy for mere hundreds!  :bigsmile:

Hey, you're right!  https://www.ebay.com/itm/225883860037?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=MDUNYfjST3O&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=08cSBa6BRJy&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPYHere

Edited by Steven Valdez

On 11/28/2023 at 12:36 PM, Steven Valdez said:

There's also this rather nice edition, although I'm not sure if it reprints the entire annual... I have a copy but it's blocked off right now in our Christmas furniture shuffle : )

ASM marvel_treasury_edition_v1974_001__1974__pagecover.jpg

I bought that off the newsstand back in 1975!

And no, not only does it not have the supplemental material in it, it cuts 5 pages of the story off as well!

On 11/27/2023 at 9:36 AM, Dr. Haydn said:

Note that while Stan gets a new idea "at that very moment," the moon is in a different phase from the previous panel. Hmm...

ASM Ann 1.jpg

Can’t help but wonder if Ditko thought he was drawing himself in the second panel being woken up by a phone call from Lee.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:16 AM, gunsmokin said:

Can’t help but wonder if Ditko thought he was drawing himself in the second panel being woken up by a phone call from Lee.

Probably so. It was pointed out on another website (sorry I forget the source, but I want to acknowledge this wasn't my idea) that since Steve lived downtown and Stan lived in the suburbs, that second panel was probably intended to be Steve instead of Stan, since the NYC skyline is visible in the background.

On 12/1/2023 at 11:01 AM, Dr. Haydn said:

Probably so. It was pointed out on another website (sorry I forget the source, but I want to acknowledge this wasn't my idea) that since Steve lived downtown and Stan lived in the suburbs, that second panel was probably intended to be Steve instead of Stan, since the NYC skyline is visible in the background.

The head portion of the figure looks like it was redrawn and pasted up. The inexplicably darkened head seems suspect.

Slightly off topic, but I was just reading a monster story in Tales of Suspense #18 (June 1961). The character is a Hulk prototype, deriving his monstrous appearance and powers from a nuclear blast with Soviets behind it. But somewhat more realistically, he starts developing radiation burns soon after this happens!

ScreenShot2023-12-03at6_37_42pm.thumb.png.aeb09a6f464fbfb70da14f5f54b48a2b.png

Edited by Steven Valdez

On 12/3/2023 at 1:44 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Slightly off topic, but I was just reading a monster story in Tales of Suspense #18 (June 1961). The character is a Hulk prototype, deriving his monstrous appearance and powers from a nuclear blast with Soviets behind it. But somewhat more realistically, he starts developing radiation burns soon after this happens!

ScreenShot2023-12-03at6_37_42pm.thumb.png.aeb09a6f464fbfb70da14f5f54b48a2b.png

A classic Kirby-Ayers story!